Paid restaurants gratuity

cole'snana

The tip is for service, as it is in any restaurant. Do you really not tip your waiter because the restaurant buys cheap meat???

The service wasn't noticeably better than it was in the MDR (which is very good IMO) and the food wasn't any better and I'm already paying $29.00. Let them take the tip out of that.

I think the issue is the stewards are already tipped for standard service. Anything extra I would want to give them is for exceptional service. And some of that exceptional service is working with you to select the best food for you. I rarely see exceptional service in the PG, but have on occasion.

Not sure what you mean by working with you to select the best food for you. If I can't decide between 2 things I ask their advice. Is that what you mean? Beyond that I don't know what they could advise you on. Certain food doesn't really work with me but I know what I need to order. I don't need help with that. I could see allergies being another.

The service wasn't noticeably better than it was in the MDR (which is very good IMO) and the food wasn't any better and I'm already paying $29.00. Let them take the tip out of that.

But it doesn't come out of the $29 just for clarification. If you don't want to tip that's certainly your prerogative.

Not sure what you mean by working with you to select the best food for you. If I can't decide between 2 things I ask their advice. Is that what you mean? Beyond that I don't know what they could advise you on. Certain food doesn't really work with me but I know what I need to order. I don't need help with that. I could see allergies being another.

Allergies, yes, I do like that help. But also, a good waiter knows the food so that if you say you're looking for tender, or flavor, or more or less seasoning, they can help. They may tell you that something is on the spicy side. They're the translator between you and the menu. I guess what I'm saying is that although they don't control the quality of food, a good server can help guide you away from what they've had complaints about or towards what they would perceive as your taste. And without hovering, they can check to see that you've received the correct meal and then a little later to see how you are enjoying it.

You can order wine from the MDR list. If you are ever in this situation again, ask your wine steward for suggestions.

Absolutely. Depending upon the varying availability of wines in MDR, there were times my DH would ask for the MDR wine list when we dined in Pinnacle if we felt like a wine that wasn't on Pinnacle's list. We were never denied the ability to order whatever we wanted from wherever it was offered.

Allergies, yes, I do like that help. But also, a good waiter knows the food so that if you say you're looking for tender, or flavor, or more or less seasoning, they can help. They may tell you that something is on the spicy side. They're the translator between you and the menu. I guess what I'm saying is that although they don't control the quality of food, a good server can help guide you away from what they've had complaints about or towards what they would perceive as your taste. And without hovering, they can check to see that you've received the correct meal and then a little later to see how you are enjoying it.

Thx for the clarification :).

The tip is for service, as it is in any restaurant. Do you really not tip your waiter because the restaurant buys cheap meat???

The PG Stewards are already included in the HSC. Unless they have done something out of the ordinary why would you tip them extra.

I don't get this fixation some people have to tip everybody over and above the HSC and because we don't tip we are "stiffing" the staff.

The PG Stewards are already included in the HSC. Unless they have done something out of the ordinary why would you tip them extra.

I don't get this fixation some people have to tip everybody over and above the HSC and because we don't tip we are "stiffing" the staff.

I don't tip in the PG either. My question was to the person who complained about everything BUT the service....

Exactly! Just be specific in what you are looking for. Like PatsyAnne said... are you looking for tender, flavorful, seasoned a certain way. Don't just say "what's popular?" because maybe you want lean and tender but the popular option is a ribeye. You're going to see the fat and marbled texture and likely be upset.

Specific questions get specific answers

The people who deliver your room service order are also included in the HSC. Does your "not tipping extra" philosophy extend to them as well?

I'm one who doesn't tip extra for ordinary service. HOWEVER, anyone who brings me coffee in the morning is by definition extraordinary. I would tip DH if it didn't come out of the same account. :)