Explorer Voyages - System of Payment

BORDER REIVER

A friend of ours is due to leave here on New Years Day to join Fram for an Antarctic Voyage. She's not got a computer which is why I'm asking this on her behalf. Can she settle her onboard account in Norwegian Kroner? She doesn't have a credit card, but does have a debit card.

I'll ring Hurtigruten tomorrow, but it would be nice if I had some idea of what options there are before then.

Unless I remember incorrectly, all purchases onboard MS Fram are in NOK. Are you asking if she can pay cash?

I found this info on the website :

"Cruise card/payment/credit cards

A cruise card will be issued upon arrival on board as part of the check in procedure in accordance with ISPS regulations. All our guests are requested to wear this card when disembarking the ship in all ports of call and landings. The card serves as a control system on the gangway enabling the ship to know which of our guests are on board and ashore at any time. This card, in addition to being the key card for your cabin, is also your payment card on board. The card is the only means of payment for the on board facilities.

To activate the cruise card account you must have a Visa, American Express, Diners or Mastercard. The credit card must be valid more than 3 months after your stay on board. We regret that our system does not support Maestro Card. Please note that when using your credit card on board the ship, your account will be debited in NOK. The rate of exchange will be the one validated by your credit card company. The evening before the voyage ends the account will be totalled and settled on board, and a receipt brought to your cabin. We regret that there is no facility for cash withdrawals or currency exchange on board."

Not sure payment in cash is an option.

Thanks SaniaLo, I found that info, but unfortunately it doesn't mention cash. I've just finished speaking to a Hurtigruten advisor and he said that they will take cash in NOK. Our friend would have to deposit her cash with the purser and get a cruise card linked to her deposit.

We are going to see her this evening to see exactly what she has already paid for & try and work out what amount of cash she would need to take to cover all onboard spending. I do know she intends camping out, but don't know if it's been paid for yet.

I think we will be pushing her to get a credit card, even if she destroys it when it's been paid off. She's never had one and doesn't want one, but I think it's the best option for her trip.

She has really left it a bit late to ask these questions, but her travel agent hasn't dealt with Hurtigruten before and hasn't advised her very well.

Last time I traveled to Antarctica with MS Fram (2013), camping, kayaking, Polarcirkel cruising (and other similar activities) could only be bought and paid for on board. I am going back in Nov 2016 and, from the paperwork I have received, it seems to still be the case. The only excursions I could book and pay for in advance were the one in Buenos Aires and the Falklands.

If she plans to go camping (weather dependant, of course) the handbook I received says it is "from 3500 NOK", kayaking from 995NOK, Zodiac cruising from 950NOK, hikes from 300NOK, + whatever items she would like to buy onboard (and tip for the crew), + money for Buenos Aires (USD for instance), + for Port Lockroy if it happens to be on her itinerary (£ will do fine). She will have to carry quite a hefty sum in cash. A credit card would indeed be so much easier, and I think safer.

@ Border Reiver

As you say, your friend has left it a little late and, I'm afraid, she's going to find it difficult to work out just how much currency she needs to take with her. As I know you are aware, Norwegian prices are pretty high (especially alcohol!) and that's what she will have to work with on board.

Are you sure she can't register her debit card with Hurtigruten?

If you are able to persuade her to get a credit card, go for a Halifax Clarity card. No foreign transaction charges, no cash withdrawal fees, just interest on any cash withdrawals. I'm not sure, but perhaps if she applies today it might just arrive before she leaves? Slim chance, though.

For next time point her to the travel agent whose contact details I previously gave you and who is very much 'Hurtigruten aware'!

@ Border Reiver

As you say, your friend has left it a little late and, I'm afraid, she's going to find it difficult to work out just how much currency she needs to take with her. As I know you are aware, Norwegian prices are pretty high (especially alcohol!) and that's what she will have to work with on board.

Are you sure she can't register her debit card with Hurtigruten?

If you are able to persuade her to get a credit card, go for a Halifax Clarity card. No foreign transaction charges, no cash withdrawal fees, just interest on any cash withdrawals. I'm not sure, but perhaps if she applies today it might just arrive before she leaves? Slim chance, though.

For next time point her to the travel agent whose contact details I previously gave you and who is very much 'Hurtigruten aware'!

Thanks digitl, Hurtigruten are very clear that debit cards cannot be used.

I'm sure your travel agent would have been a better bet & we will certainly give them a call when it's our turn to go. This lady is a solo traveller and only told us that she was going to Antarctica a month or so back. That was when she decided to go. I assumed that she had been well informed until she told us last week that she had only just bought a camera (her only one) and intended using just that and one 32gb memory card & no spare battery. That's when I realised that she had been given little information on what lay ahead. Without a computer and knowledge of how to use one, she's been starved of vital research and information. We're going to see her this evening & I'll offer her the use of my waterproof camera, spare battery and charger. Just hope she can get the money side sorted. If she cannot get a credit card, she needs to take at least £1,500 in NOK just to be on the safe side.

The news on debit cards is interesting. I wonder why they won't accept them. I think she should be OK with £1700 in NOK though, as SarniaLo pointed out, she will need something else like US$ for Argentina and £££ (or US$) for Port Lockroy.

Your friend sounds to be very unprepared for a trip that really does need some thought! a second camera would be an excellent idea: it's good of you to help her out like that.

Has she thought about plenty of layers of warm clothing (no need for boots as she can hire them at a decent price on board Fram)? It's a good idea to fly out to Buenos Aires at least a day early and not arrange to fly back the same day as she flies up from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires.

The news on debit cards is interesting. I wonder why they won't accept them. I think she should be OK with £1700 in NOK though, as SarniaLo pointed out, she will need something else like US$ for Argentina and £££ (or US$) for Port Lockroy.

Your friend sounds to be very unprepared for a trip that really does need some thought! a second camera would be an excellent idea: it's good of you to help her out like that.

Has she thought about plenty of layers of warm clothing (no need for boots as she can hire them at a decent price on board Fram)? It's a good idea to fly out to Buenos Aires at least a day early and not arrange to fly back the same day as she flies up from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires.

She is well versed on clothing etc and has extra days planned in BA.

She's actually an experienced traveller, but mostly on foot, alone in the Middle East & North Africa & this is totally different.

I suspect the problem with debit cards is I don't think you can place a hold on them like you can with a credit card.

Last time I traveled to Antarctica with MS Fram (2013), camping, kayaking, Polarcirkel cruising (and other similar activities) could only be bought and paid for on board. I am going back in Nov 2016 and, from the paperwork I have received, it seems to still be the case. The only excursions I could book and pay for in advance were the one in Buenos Aires and the Falklands.

If she plans to go camping (weather dependant, of course) the handbook I received says it is "from 3500 NOK", kayaking from 995NOK, Zodiac cruising from 950NOK, hikes from 300NOK, + whatever items she would like to buy onboard (and tip for the crew), + money for Buenos Aires (USD for instance), + for Port Lockroy if it happens to be on her itinerary (£ will do fine). She will have to carry quite a hefty sum in cash. A credit card would indeed be so much easier, and I think safer.

Hi SarniaLo,

I would love to get a copy of the book you mentioned assuming it is only a few pages. We are booked for Christmas in Antarctica on 2017. Sounds like you can really rack up some extra charges. I am surprised hikes were mentioned, I thought they were included. Any more info is appreciated!

We've just spent a long evening with our friend & sorted almost everything out.

It appears that it is her travel agent's first time dealing with an Antarctic trip - hence the lack of solid information.

This bit I find a bit confusing...she assures me that when she originally booked, the expedition was the "Frozen Land of The Penguins" and that they subsequently added a few extra days to include crossing the Antarctic Circle. I didn't think Hurtigruten had that much leeway in their schedules. No doubt we will find out in a few weeks time when she returns.

I would love to get a copy of the book you mentioned assuming it is only a few pages. We are booked for Christmas in Antarctica on 2017. Sounds like you can really rack up some extra charges. I am surprised hikes were mentioned, I thought they were included. Any more info is appreciated!

I can send it to you if you give me an email address (I have it as a pdf), but my copy is in French, so would that work for you? Maybe digitl would have a copy in English.

Landings are included in the price. If you want to do a special additionnal hike (for instance the Shackelton hike in South Georgia, or snowshoe hike) then there are some additional charges. It's a bit of a bother for me too! ;)

This bit I find a bit confusing...she assures me that when she originally booked, the expedition was the "Frozen Land of The Penguins" and that they subsequently added a few extra days to include crossing the Antarctic Circle. I didn't think Hurtigruten had that much leeway in their schedules. No doubt we will find out in a few weeks time when she returns.

I'm not quite sure how that works either, since there is another cruise planned for departure on Jan16th. Are you sure her travel agent (or her) understood right? Early January is quite early for the Circle crossing (because of the ice). And please let her know that no Antarctic itinerary can be decided in advance, so she must not get her hopes up. There is no "Antarctic Circle" cruises, just "Antarctic Circle attempt" cruises. Itinerary are decided on the day, sometimes in the morning for the afternoon, and the best you can do is "hope for" something specific. So she must go with no expectation except whatever she will actually end up seeing will be spectacular.

Edited by SarniaLo

Your friend only booked 'a month or so ago' and there's no way within that period, or any other, that Hurtigruten will have added a few days on to include the Circle.

We booked for November/December 2016 in 2014 and it would be impossible for Hurtigruten, or any other operator, to add on a few days our trip, the trip before ours or the trip after ours. We need to sail on the date we booked and return on the date we booked.

Either the travel agent has booked a different trip from the one your friend was looking at, and is telling porkies, or your friend has misunderstood which trip she was booking.

Your friend only booked 'a month or so ago' and there's no way within that period, or any other, that Hurtigruten will have added a few days on to include the Circle.

We booked for November/December 2016 in 2014 and it would be impossible for Hurtigruten, or any other operator, to add on a few days our trip, the trip before ours or the trip after ours. We need to sail on the date we booked and return on the date we booked.

Either the travel agent has booked a different trip from the one your friend was looking at, and is telling porkies, or your friend has misunderstood which trip she was booking.

I suspect that you are correct about the travel agent. With no experience of either Hurtigruten or Antarctica, I think there's been some misunderstanding about how things work.

The whole "customer in Antarctica" seems to be a big deal to the agent. They asked her if she would carry their flag/logo (2mx1m) and take a photo of it in Antarctica for publicity. They also asked if she would do press interviews (she won't).

Anyway, she's a ready as can be now (taking NOK for onboard spending) and will have a great time whatever the conditions allow. She has, as you talked about, booked for an extra day in Buenos Aries before and after her trip and is under no illusions that the agent cannot make any promises.