Recieve text msg from google hangout every time I reboot my phone while on ship

snoozcroozr

I was on a crooze on the BA, and even though I was connected to the ship's wifi, I did not purchase any of their plan. I had trouble with my phone reading the microSD card, thus had to reboot it a few times while we were in the middle of the ocean. Every time it came up, I got a small burst of google hangout chats from somebody on land that were queued up on the google server. Of course, I can't respond. Is there some backdoor or loophole from when I boot up the phone and it registers with the ship's tower, where some mobile data sneaks pass during the handshake?

Yeah. I always get Facebook notifications via the ship's wifi even without a plan or being logged in, but I can't load anything in the app. Once we got notifications from our Nest system at home that our fire alarms at our house were going off. Gotta love those wifi leaks. :-)

It's nothing to be alarmed about - it happened with cellular "radio" and/or roaming turned off, just on ship's inTRAnet WiFi (don't even need to be on PAID satellite inTERnet) on the BA (and, apparently - true on most other ships in the fleet)

Those are typically SMS/text only headers that "leaked" - you won't get the full text ... happened to our devices registered/activated on AT&T and T-Mo USA's (don't recalled if it happened with unlocked iPhone 5S on VZW as it was on iOS 8.4, overseas/global Sim) via the default "Messaging" App, so it's logical for it popped up in Hangouts. Tapatalk's headers from various threads being followed also showed up from time to time.

You should've noticed that this doesn't happened with non-US towers on land during the cruise, if you turn on your devices away from the ship's WiFi signal.