Combining Credit Card Coverage with Travel Policy

pdx13

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but I was unable to find it using the search tool. My credit card covers trip cancellation, interruption, baggage, etc. but the limit is below the cost of our trip. Is it possible to purchase a supplemental policy to make up the difference or do I have to purchase a policy for the full amount of the trip?

We would also have to purchase a medical policy if we decided to do so as the credit card does not provide any medical coverage.

thanks, and sorry if this has been beaten to death.

Edited by pdx13

On the travel insurance web sites you can see the cost difference for the difference in coverage vs. the total trip cost. I'll wager the premium difference is not that great. It just may be more convenient (and probably cost efficient) to buy one policy with a reputable trip insurance company for the total trip cost.

Make sure the trip policy is primary coverage so you don't have to submit to others first and be declined. It just speeds up your claim resolution process.

If you'd like suggestions and recommendations from an insurance professional, I'd suggest calling the TripInsuranceStore.com

Thanks for the replies. I contacted tripinsurancestore and they told me that i could indeed purchase a policy to supplement the one provided by my credit card company. I also took the opportunity to contact my medical insurance provider and discovered that I am covered internationally as well. Since it is Blue Cross/Regence they have an international network. I'm not sure I would risk this if I were traveling somewhere other than Northern Europe which is where we are going on our next cruise, but I expect that medical care in ost of Europe is as good or better than in US.