Evening Chic curiosity for recent cruisers

geospyder

Just curious - for those of you that have experienced the new Evening Chic - what is your impression, percentage wise, of men still wearing ties and or coats?

Not looking for opinions of what people should or shouldn't wear - just observations of what people are wearing.

We were on the first sailing (Dec 5) of the Reflection under this new dress code. I did not see any difference from the previous leg (Nov 28) we had done under the old code. Maybe because people had already decided what they were to wear? I saw a smattering of tuxes and full length formal gowns. I saw more men in ties that not. Most men had on a coat.

This could change as time goes by and by ship or itinerary. Personally I don't care what everyone else is wearing. If flight/weight constraints kept me from dressing up, I'd feel fine. If we are driving to the ship and I want to wear my full length gowns, I will continue to do so. To each their own. And yes, one night on the cruise before the new lesser dressy rules had gone into effect, we were seated at a table where a man was wearing neither coat nor tie and it did not affect my enjoyment of the meal, the evening or my satisfaction with my own attire.

Just curious - for those of you that have experienced the new Evening Chic - what is your impression, percentage wise, of men still wearing ties and or coats?

Thanks for asking this question! We're also curious for our upcoming Feb. trip. Also would like to hear about the ladies.

Not looking for opinions of what people should or shouldn't wear - just observations of what people are wearing.

Good luck with that part!

On the Summit, about half the men wore jackets of one type or another.

About half of those who wore jackets also wore ties, including a small number in tuxedos.

For the women, just about anything and everything could be seen, as usual, from very dressy to quite casual. Some were obviously seeking to attract attention, while others preferred to blend in and avoid attention as the styles ranged from quite revealing to modestly covered up -- the typical mix of short dresses, long dresses, and various styles of pants outfits.

The was such a wide range of different styles that nobody looked out of place and everyone appeared to fit in and have a good time.

The way that one of the ship's officers described it, the intent of evening chic is for people to dress to express their individuality without any worry about being turned away if they do not want to dress formally.

Our own observation had been that Celebrity had not been turning people away who were not dressed formally for quite a while now.

They just wanted to make the policy official so there would be no concerns about it, not wanting to drive away any potential passengers who do not wish to dress formally, while at the same time encouraging those who enjoy dressing up to continue to do so.

...The was such a wide range of different styles that nobody looked out of place and everyone appeared to fit in and have a good time...

I think that was the intent. Glad to hear it. We leave in three days to spend New Years Eve in Singapore and then catch our first cruise of the year. Merry Christmas everyone.