Bermuda on Veendam or Celebrity Summit?

lvz2cruz

Depending on how many people are getting on and off, it took between 40 and 50 minutes from Hamilton to Dockyard. The bus system is wonderful and the station is a couple of blocks from the dock in Hamilton.

It is 30 minutes from Hamilton to the Dockyard by ferry. If you are there at the scheduled times you won't have to wait. It runs on schedule.

Edited by Charles4515

Depending on how many people are getting on and off, it took between 40 and 50 minutes from Hamilton to Dockyard. The bus system is wonderful and the station is a couple of blocks from the dock in Hamilton.

I'm sorry. I should have noted that the times listed are for bus travel from the bus station in Hamilton.

We've been to Bermuda 2x, with both cruises on the Summit.

The Dockyard has a much younger vibe with lots of things to do within easy walking distance of the ship. The historic fort, a small beach for swimming, art galleries, pottery studio, rum cake bakery, glass blowing studio, bars and restaurants, and swim with the dolphins are all there. Plenty of shopping is available as well. And there are lots of opportunities for booking independent excursions since there are many vendors dockside.

We were docked with the NCL Breakaway which is a very large ship and the passenger load for the port was well over 6000 passengers. We never had a problem getting on ferries, nor did we have any problem using the free Dockyard shuttle which picks up passengers at the ship. The shuttle provides an easy way to get around the Dockyard.

The Veendam docks in the Hamilton business district smack dab in the middle of office buildings. On our first Bermuda cruise we visited Hamilton for an afternoon, and frankly that was enough for us. We did not return to Hamilton on our second cruise. There just wasn't enough there to warrant a ferry ride there.

I believe the Summit is scheduled for a major dry dock within the next couple of months so she should be nicely refurbished for the Bermuda cruise season.

I'm a 3* Mariner with HAL so there is no HAL bashing from me. I just prefer the Summit for Bermuda primarily because of the Dockyard location.

Dockyard is fine for a day.... to come up to the Maritime Museum and see what that area has to offer. Yes, it is well worth a visit. For a day.

The beach at Dockyard is no where what Elbow Beach and Horseshoe Beach can offer. There is more in the middle parishes than Dockyard. Hamilton is not a drab city. Most passengers on the ships up at Dockyard do not come into Hamilton for the evenings. Pubs, discos, restaurants etc are way better life in Hamilton. Passengers on board the ships at Dockyard mostly stay on board all evening. If you are in Hamilton you can easily EVERYWHERE.... including St Georges. No one at Dockyard will every think about to get to St George for an evening... you can get there by ferry in evening.

Transport out of Dockyard... by bus is usually FULL. Four buses each hour. Never enough to handy for the thousands of passengers. The large tender is for passengers.... fine... if you catch it. The ferries... they can be frequently be FULL and you may have to wait.

I live near Somerset Bridge. I was trying to catch a bus to Hamilton one day. It was full and waited for three buses. So.... I caught the first bus coming into Dockyard.... then walked over to the ferry terminal... and waited two hours for the next available ferry into Hamilton. In desperation.... I caught a bus started again to Hamilton. All I wanted to do was head into Hamilton for some supplies. Any local would tell you...."Roll on winter with empty buses!" BTW... if you want taxi from Dockyard to Hamilton .... 45 minutes.... and with tip.... allow $55 to $60.... if you cannot ferry or bus.

Restaurants... three in Dockyard. The Frog is fine for pub food. Amici is fine for simple bistro. The third one is disgusting. For inking but the food is really disgusting. Hamilton? I could tell you a dozen fine restaurants and drinking establishments... all within of two minutes from your gangway.

If I want to go out for an evening.... I have a choice from my house..... 15 minutes to Dockyard.... 30 minutes to Hamilton. I would rather the long ride to Hamilton for the better restaurants.

HAL v. Celebrity.... well that is your choice. If you are looking at best port for location.... Hamilton is way better than Dockyard.

Thank you for all your responses. We will be booking Veendam, probably while aboard the Eurodam next week.

I know it is a good ship with great itinerary and hopefully the drive will be okay. I will try to book a ship docking in Hamilton as long as they are stopping there. Looking forward to eating meals out in the Retreat and watching boats go by that cute little island.

Thanks again.

We're in our 30s would we be to young for this line or X.

Sailed my 1st cruise for my 30th birthday - it was HAL due to a great deal - and we had a wonderful time. Tried to cruise at least once a year after that. Have sailed the X boats and also had a great time. Due to service and itineraries, now a HAL addict.

DW and I did the Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ to Bermuda in 2014 and the Veendam from Boston last summer. Without a doubt the Veendam is the better choice. We live in NJ and appreciate the fact that the trip to Boston is less convenient as a port but this can be overcome by flying R/T to Boston from Newark or by driving. The hotel we stayed at in Boston (suburb) offered a weeks free parking to cruise ship passengers and we met some folks who drove up from Pennsyvania etc for the cruise. The extra day that the Veendam offers in Bermuda is very welcome and the docking in Hamilton is right on Front street and is ideal as a jumping off point as the main bus terminal is only a couple of blocks away and the water taxi transport is adjacent to the ship. Also keep in mind that the Summit is not the only ship docking at the Naval Dockyard. NCL departs NYC at the same time as the Summit and arrives in Bermuda at the same time (or it did last summer). This puts a total of the 2 ships about 5-6K passengers ashore during the same time period. Expect stiff competition for taxi, bus and water taxi services.