Can you help us choose?

cruiseluvva

It will be our Ruby Anniversary late December 2017 (God willing) and we want to book a "special" voyage to celebrate, so will be choosing and booking this year.

Assuming the itineraries are similar to usual, very probable I'd think, the choices we have narrowed it down to are;

The 26 night Christmas/New Year (over our anniversary) Caribbean trip.

Advantages - being away over Christmas/ New Year/Anniversary.

On QM2

Disadvantages - fewer hot weather days ie two crossings.

The 28 night first leg of the World Voyage Southampton to San Francisco.

Advantages - spending Christmas at home with our new - and at the moment only - granddaughter.

San Francisco.

Away thoughout January, a nasty month!

Disadvantages - one of the smaller Queens rather than QM2.

As we have got older, we have become horribly indecisive, so simply can't make up our minds, nor do we think that will change! First we choose one, then we think the other is best! Either way, it will be in QG and if ending up in San Francisco, we shall fly back Business using miles, so the flight itself isn't an issue.

Can you let me know any thoughts/pros/cons that may help us make up our minds, as it won't be that long before the Christmas trip is released.

Many thanks.

It will be our Ruby Anniversary late December 2017 (God willing) and we want to book a "special" voyage to celebrate, so will be choosing and booking this year.

Assuming the itineraries are similar to usual, very probable I'd think, the choices we have narrowed it down to are;

The 26 night Christmas/New Year (over our anniversary) Caribbean trip.

Advantages - being away over Christmas/ New Year/Anniversary.

On QM2

Disadvantages - fewer hot weather days ie two crossings.

The 28 night first leg of the World Voyage Southampton to San Francisco.

Advantages - spending Christmas at home with our new - and at the moment only - granddaughter.

San Francisco.

Away thoughout January, a nasty month!

Disadvantages - one of the smaller Queens rather than QM2.

As we have got older, we have become horribly indecisive, so simply can't make up our minds, nor do we think that will change! First we choose one, then we think the other is best! Either way, it will be in QG and if ending up in San Francisco, we shall fly back Business using miles, so the flight itself isn't an issue.

Can you let me know any thoughts/pros/cons that may help us make up our minds, as it won't be that long before the Christmas trip is released.

Many thanks.

The joy of a feeling the love of a Grandchild at such a special time as Christmas, with the whole family, is not to be missed.

If I help with this, will you help me to decide what to do for my big birthday earlier the same year, whilst I have been dithering grades are selling out !

I would probably go for the world cruise segment but mainly because I haven't been through the Panama Canal or been to San Francisco.

The QM2 Christmas Cruise is great but I think the destinations on the world cruise segment would sway it for me.

If I help with this, will you help me to decide what to do for my big birthday earlier the same year, whilst I have been dithering grades are selling out !

I would probably go for the world cruise segment but mainly because I haven't been through the Panama Canal or been to San Francisco.

The QM2 Christmas Cruise is great but I think the destinations on the world cruise segment would sway it for me.

When is your birthday, Hattie? I must confess that for BIG birthdays, I have gone for fabulous beach holidays, but they are much more expensive than cruises generally. For Tony's 60th we did Hong Kong to S'ton and that was fab. For his retirement (last year) we did Singapore(my fav place on earth) to S'ton. That was amazing too.

Back to our dilemma, we have done the Panama Canal as far as LA and absolutely loved it, so that is probably what I am leaning towards - for now anyway!

Keep 'em coming folks if you will.

Thanks Stewart - hope your Hogmanay is all you'd hope it to be.

I agree, it's a hard decision! However, in my opinion, the pro would be a renovated QM2 where you would celebrate your Ruby Anniversary, and this over Christmas and the New Year AND see the beautiful Caribbean islands.

You could celebrate your anniversary with you family after your return from this great voyage.

The other alternative (for me) would not be one, since I already know San Francisco and the Panama canal, which I enjoyed very much.

Really not an easy decision to be taken!

So I suggest to do both, one in 2017 and the next in 2018 ... :cool:

When is your birthday, Hattie? I must confess that for BIG birthdays, I have gone for fabulous beach holidays, but they are much more expensive than cruises generally. For Tony's 60th we did Hong Kong to S'ton and that was fab. For his retirement (last year) we did Singapore(my fav place on earth) to S'ton. That was amazing too.

Back to our dilemma, we have done the Panama Canal as far as LA and absolutely loved it, so that is probably what I am leaning towards - for now anyway!

Keep 'em coming folks if you will.

Thanks Stewart - hope your Hogmanay is all you'd hope it to be.

It's March, at the moment I am torn between a round trip from Hong Kong on QM2 or Kobe to Singapore on WE or maybe staying at home for the day itself and doing a completely different segment or even something later in the year. We could probably take a maximum of 3 weeks and would probably stay a few days either end.

I am also tempted by a Panama Canal segment and trying to include a stay on the Queen Mary.

Sorry to hijack your thread, would your family be able to join you on the Christmas cruise ? That might be a way of getting the best of family and holiday.

No they wouldn't want to take a cruise - I know silly aren't they? The world starts and ends in London for them!

I would thoroughly recommend the Panama Canal, a truly wonderful and so interesting day.

Good luck choosing - let us know what you decide.

Go to San Francisco. The City. The setting. Family. (Plus, the canal).

DH and I also love QM2 best, but we spent 36 days on the QE and found ourselves very comfortable and completely satisfied. There is a Cunardness to all three ships, which made us feel at-home on the smaller ship, too.

Congratulations (in advance) on your anniversary!

Have a lovely celebration!