Mississippi River at Flood Stage

fhowell2

The weather service is predicting flood stage at New Orleans in approximately 3 weeks. How does this affect Carnival cruises out of New Orleans. Flooding is occuring upstream now and will reach NO approximately Jan. 19.

I have cruises planned for the Carnival Elation (1/18) and Carnival Dream (1/24). Anxious!!

Rick

The weather service is predicting flood stage at New Orleans in approximately 3 weeks. How does this affect Carnival cruises out of New Orleans. Flooding is occuring upstream now and will reach NO approximately Jan. 19.

I have cruises planned for the Carnival Elation (1/18) and Carnival Dream (1/24). Anxious!!

Rick

Got insurance? Since it is an epic flood, and waters have never been this high before in Missouri, the only forecast I have heard about things downriver is that it's uncertain what will happen.

If diversions don't work and the levees can't hold back the floods, Carnival and others may prepare to do some evacuating or avoiding the area altogether until water levels recede to a manageable level. It's possible you may be sailing from a different port.

Rick

Years ago there was a power line that crossed the river and when the river rose to historical heights creating a dangerous situation with Conquest's height they moved the cruises to Gulfport. They bussed us from the New Orleans port and I would think if the situation warranted they would do the same perhaps embarking buses at some other location. We were disappointed that we didn't get to cruise down the Mississippi so we just had to book another cruise years later :D.

Rick

This will have no effect on any Carnival cruises out of NOLA.

As of now the diversions will not be opened unless the forecast changes. Last time the river rose high enough to open the two major diversions in south LA the ship traffic never halted. It's a challenge for the pilots especially heading up river but they continue sailing.

Years ago there was a power line that crossed the river and when the river rose to historical heights creating a dangerous situation with Conquest's height they moved the cruises to Gulfport. They bussed us from the New Orleans port and I would think if the situation warranted they would do the same perhaps embarking buses at some other location. We were disappointed that we didn't get to cruise down the Mississippi so we just had to book another cruise years later :D.

I remember the power line debacle. Fortunately those lines run below the river now.

Check out this article in the "Advocate" dated 12/29/16.

http://theadvocate.com/news/14424136-176/louisiana-and-federal-officials-watching-preparing-as-mississippi-river-rises-to-flood-levels

It gives a good description of the current prospects for opening the floodways.

I used to live 10 miles from the

. It's always an event when it's opened. The lawn chairs, ice chests and food came out. :D

Even if the ships continue sailing during high water times, they will have to proceed much slower both up and down river to prevent wake damage to the tops of the levees. But I would expect that the spillways will handle the river level, but opening the spillways causes its own set of problems, but not for cruising.

I used to live 10 miles from the
. It's always an event when it's opened. The lawn chairs, ice chests and food came out. :D

True person from Southern Louisiana!! At this time of year, have a crawfish boil on the Spillway Bridge.

Edited by Naomi John
spelling

We are booked on the 1/23 sailing on the Elation. The Army Corps of Engineers has recommended opening the spillway on Saturday 1/9. The spillway diverts Mississippi River waters into Lake Pontchartrain. I doubt the current river level has an adverse affect on any cruises leaving out of New Orleans. If you are in New Orleans the next few weeks make sure to watch the ships traverse the river from street level. Interesting sight.