Prices keep going up

izmeeh

What would you do?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Book now
    • Wait

Two different trips.

Airfare. I needed to confirm the dates with my employer so I couldn't book when it was $989 with 26 hour layover in Beijing so I could visit the Great Wall of China. Once I got the dates, airfare went to $1,185 with 10 hour layover in South Korea. I waited for the other fare to come back and the price is now $1,256 for the 10 hour layover in South Korea.

Cruise. I wanted to book when it was $511 after taxes and fees for 2 (inside). I couldn't due to companion's paperwork. Now that everything is cleared, the price is $575 and I can't choose my own room.

Would you wait for the price to drop or book now at the higher price to lock in your vacation?

OK. Given your quoted cruise price difference is only $64, (575-511), it is not large enough to deprive yourself this vacation. As for airfare, general rule has always been the closer to your departure date, the higher the airfare. I say pull the trigger and do it.

Edited by sfaaa

I've noticed things keep going up and then if they have availability they do a last minute sale (cruises only). For airlines it just keeps going up.

For ex. In 2011 we were doing an extended family Europe trip and cruise. In Nov the round trip airfare was less than $800. I could not get my in laws to commit to dates til Jan. By then the prices were up over $400 per person. I was really upset having to pay $1600 more for our family of 4 due to there indecisiveness. Because of that I try to book airfare early and have not planned another trip with them.

I've noticed things keep going up and then if they have availability they do a last minute sale (cruises only). For airlines it just keeps going up.

For ex. In 2011 we were doing an extended family Europe trip and cruise. In Nov the round trip airfare was less than $800. I could not get my in laws to commit to dates til Jan. By then the prices were up over $400 per person. I was really upset having to pay $1600 more for our family of 4 due to there indecisiveness. Because of that I try to book airfare early and have not planned another trip with them.

If I decide to travel I Purchase immediately...and if someone is coming with me I tell them what I am booking and they can choose to book now or later. I find it interesting that people "wait for the group" to make financial decisions. If you are paying for it...book it now, others can always book at their leisure and if they can't get the same flight or the same deck when booking that isn't the end of the world.

If I decide to travel I Purchase immediately...and if someone is coming with me I tell them what I am booking and they can choose to book now or later. I find it interesting that people "wait for the group" to make financial decisions. If you are paying for it...book it now, others can always book at their leisure and if they can't get the same flight or the same deck when booking that isn't the end of the world.

I agree and if it had been friends rather than family I would have. We've done as you suggested with other friends.

But I check my cruise fare every day and it just keeps going up.

The days of last minute price drops are over for all but the least popular trips.

In general it seems like the earlier you book, the cheaper it gets. For my upcoming trip on the Dream I've watched the pricing since the summer, which was about 9 months prior to cruising. The price dropped earlier for a few good sales, then has only gradually gone up. We are now a month from sailing and the prices are starting to spike.

Cruise prices, in general, have been trending upwards for the past year or so... Last summer I paid less for a balcony than I did for an inside cabin on the same ship. My theory is, if you see a cruise for a price that's acceptable at the time, book it and don't look back. All 3 of my last sailings have only increased in price since I booked... Just my 2 cents...