Ziuderdam Cabins on Veranda deck vs Navigation deck

cantdance

We have booked two VA cabins on the Zuiderdam for their Caribbean Panama Canal trip. Our two options were the Verandah deck and the Navigation deck. Concerned that being on the Lido deck would be too noisy, I chose the Verandah deck. I see that the lifeboats are outside of those balcony cabins. Ours are 5068 and 5070--midship--portside.

Anyone have any familiarity with those cabins? or insight as to noise level on Navigation deck?

The lifeboats are outside of the cabins on Upper Promenade. They are below your cabins on Veranda Deck. They will block the view looking straight down, but otherwise won't interfere with your view outward.

Google /5086-oosterdam/ for a pic of the view of the lifeboats.

Those cabins used to be VE because of the lifeboats and the small (4.5 ft) balconies, but since they were popular at a VE price HAL decided to change them VA! :rolleyes:

“Those cabins used to be VE because of the lifeboats and the small (4.5 ft) balconies, but since they were popular at a VE price HAL decided to change them VA! :rolleyes:”

Now you have me wondering about the size of the balcony. We picked midship for stability but are we sacrificing comfort on the balconies?? Especially when are paying for it. What would you recommend? There do not seem to be a lot ofverandah cabins available and was told that ones on site are not showing as available to TA.

Now you have me wondering about the size of the balcony. We picked midship for stability but are we sacrificing comfort on the balconies?? Especially when are paying for it. What would you recommend?
Only the center section of deck 5 has the shallow balconies. Every other balcony on the ship is 6 feet deep or greater. The deck 4 VA/VB/VC are all 7.5 ft deep. I would choose virtually any other veranda than 5053 to 5138, and save some money on most of them. How much your comfort will be affected by a small balcony I can't say, but I would never pay a VA price for one! ;)

Google /5112-noordam-v/ and /5120-westerdam/ for good pics of the shallow balconies and the view of the lifeboats.

Edited by jtl513

Only the center section of deck 5 has the shallow balconies. Every other balcony on the ship is 6 feet deep or greater.
The deck 10 VB balconies are also just 4.5 ft deep. I forgot about those. :o

Edited by jtl513

We have booked two VA cabins on the Zuiderdam for their Caribbean Panama Canal trip. Our two options were the Verandah deck and the Navigation deck. Concerned that being on the Lido deck would be too noisy, I chose the Verandah deck. I see that the lifeboats are outside of those balcony cabins. Ours are 5068 and 5070--midship--portside.

Anyone have any familiarity with those cabins? or insight as to noise level on Navigation deck?

Have you considered the VB aft cabins on Verandah deck 5? Great views of the lock operations from those aft cabins. We were in the corner aft-wrap and it was fantastic for the canal!

As to Navigation deck cabins, some are noisy and some pretty quiet, depending on location. You need to look at the deck plan and see what is above your cabin on the Lido deck and judge for yourself.

Edited by DaveOKC

The lifeboats are outside of the cabins on Upper Promenade. They are below your cabins on Veranda Deck. They will block the view looking straight down, but otherwise won't interfere with your view outward.

That could be an issue as you try to watch the canal operations.

[Have you considered the VB aft cabins on Verandah deck 5? Great views of the lock operations from those aft cabins. We were in the corner aft-wrap and it was fantastic for the canal!]

Thank you all for your advice. After much back and forth with our TA and HAl, we have moved to the VB aft cabins. I have seen the pictures and it looks great.

The downside-- we paid for a VA and these are VBs but Hal not only refused a refund of the difference but also wanted to charge us a penalty. They swore to our TA that all of the balconies were the same size and there was no reason to change. They finally waived the penalty but still we are out a few hundred dollars. :mad:

Lesson learned--book low and move up. I would say I should have known first but of the cabins they were saying were available (no one offered the aft cabins) I was scrambling to quickly find what I could about the cabins online.

Oh well--live and learn. I am still excited about the trip and am happy with the cabins we now have. Thanks again everyone.

... but Hal not only refused a refund of the difference but also wanted to charge us a penalty.
I guess that means you are past final payment day, since before that you can always cancel without penalty.
They swore to our TA that all of the balconies were the same size and there was no reason to change.
I can't understand why they persist on doing that because it is obviously not true.

In your first post you said you had "two VA cabins ... 5068 and 5070". What happened with the second cabin?

Anyway - congratulations on getting a stern cabin. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy that much more than the deck 5 center!

[in your first post you said you had "two VA cabins ... 5068 and 5070". What happened with the second cabin?

Anyway - congratulations on getting a stern cabin. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy that much more than the deck 5 center!]

We moved both cabins aft--we are next door to each other, which should make that big balcony --even bigger. :D

[Have you considered the VB aft cabins on Verandah deck 5? Great views of the lock operations from those aft cabins. We were in the corner aft-wrap and it was fantastic for the canal!]

Thank you all for your advice. After much back and forth with our TA and HAl, we have moved to the VB aft cabins. I have seen the pictures and it looks great.

The downside-- we paid for a VA and these are VBs but Hal not only refused a refund of the difference but also wanted to charge us a penalty. They swore to our TA that all of the balconies were the same size and there was no reason to change. They finally waived the penalty but still we are out a few hundred dollars. :mad:

Lesson learned--book low and move up. I would say I should have known first but of the cabins they were saying were available (no one offered the aft cabins) I was scrambling to quickly find what I could about the cabins online.

Something does not make sense here from HAL. I can see them letting holding you to the VA price and giving you a VB (since HAL hates to give back money after final payment), but to try to charge you a penalty? I have never heard of that from HAL. Perhaps it was your TA's policy?

I do not think you are "out" a few hundred dollars, as you actually got a better cabin than you paid you (IMO). As you said, you need to do your homework before you book, ESPECIALLY if booking after final payment date.

I have no idea why they were charging a penalty but it was not my TA's policy as she fought with them for 15 mins to finally get them to agree to waive the fee.

This cruise was not on my bucket list but I agreed at the last minute to go in the specific time period our friends were available. Turned out there was only one cruise that fit the criteria. Not my choice of ship, destination or time period. I am used to having a lot more wiggle time before final payment--which was due the day we booked.

Now that it is booked though I am ready to have a great time.

I have no idea why they were charging a penalty but it was not my TA's policy as she fought with them for 15 mins to finally get them to agree to waive the fee.

This cruise was not on my bucket list but I agreed at the last minute to go in the specific time period our friends were available. Turned out there was only one cruise that fit the criteria. Not my choice of ship, destination or time period. I am used to having a lot more wiggle time before final payment--which was due the day we booked.

Now that it is booked though I am ready to have a great time.

All in all, its not a big deal (IMO) and I think you ended up in a better location for a canal cruise, so now just focus on the upcoming cruise and having a great time! Have Fun!