Helsinki 2016 advice thread and FAQ

Jonza

Thanks so much for this thread! It's wonderful information. We were originally going to book a bus tour for this port (late Aug), but the trams looks like a great option for making this an "on our own" port, especially since it stops right outside LMA where our ship docks.

We'll be there on a Sunday. We're interested in seeing the Rock Church but I fear we won't be able to get in due to Sunday Services taking place. I'm having a hard time finding current info on the Sunday schedule (Aug 28), but older info suggests they do Sunday services at 10am and 2pm.

Our plan is to do Suomenlinna first (ship arrives 9am, hoping to catch the 11am English tour). If we make it to Rock Chuch after that it's probably gonna be when it's closed for the afternoon service. :(

Anyone know more specifically when Sunday services are, and how much of a time window (if any) they leave it open between services on Sunday?

We'll be there on a Sunday. We're interested in seeing the Rock Church but I fear we won't be able to get in due to Sunday Services taking place. I'm having a hard time finding current info on the Sunday schedule (Aug 28), but older info suggests they do Sunday services at 10am and 2pm.

Our plan is to do Suomenlinna first (ship arrives 9am, hoping to catch the 11am English tour). If we make it to Rock Chuch after that it's probably gonna be when it's closed for the afternoon service. :(

Anyone know more specifically when Sunday services are, and how much of a time window (if any) they leave it open between services on Sunday?

There is a web site in Finnish that list congregation events:

http://www.helsinginseurakunnat.fi/seurakunnat/toolo.html

Click on calendar date for info. (Kesäkuu = June, Heinäkuu=July, Elokuu=August) Official name of the "rock church" is Temppeliaukion kirkko.

Service (Messu) seems to be between 10:00 and 11:30.

There is no afternoon service listed for June or July. Service is not listed yet for August.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you so much! Opening the link in Chrome translates it pretty well into English.

Yes, looks like services 10:00-11:30 on Sundays, with organ music (free entry) 12:00-13:00 many Sundays. Nothing listed after that (until the evening) so if that holds for August, we may be good. Cool.

Thanks again.

Edited by dbsb3233

Hi, My ship docks at 8 am on the 12th July at the West Harbour. How long would it take to walk from the West Harbour to the city centre. I have no problem with walking as it gives me more chances to take photo's.

Thanks Tokyo.

Hi, My ship docks at 8 am on the 12th July at the West Harbour. How long would it take to walk from the West Harbour to the city centre. I have no problem with walking as it gives me more chances to take photo's.

Thanks Tokyo.

Google Maps shows walking/biking/driving times between any 2 points. From West Terminal to Senate Square, it shows a 37 minute walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/West+Terminal,+Tyynenmerenkatu,+Helsinki,+Finland/Senate+Square,+00170+Helsinki,+Finland/@60.1621636,24.9188975,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46920bb2bb2555e5:0xa9458280e7bd7138!2m2!1d24.9212167!2d60.1545087!1m5!1m1!1s0x46920bce46c319b7:0xbc57e32cb4d908ca!2m2!1d24.9522866!2d60.1694794!3e2

The #9 Tram would cover all but the last few blocks of that much easier though.

Just a quick warning: We were in Helsinki on Tuesday it was about a 15 minute walk from where we docked to the tram stop because of major construction at the port. The ship (Silhouette) did run a shuttle to market square for $12pp.

Thanks for the info, I have since found out the ship will run a shuttle bus to the city. But, still may walk.

Just a quick warning: We were in Helsinki on Tuesday it was about a 15 minute walk from where we docked to the tram stop because of major construction at the port. The ship (Silhouette) did run a shuttle to market square for $12pp.

Well that's a bummer. It looked like it was going to be really efficient to walk right outside to the tram. Looks like construction won't finish until 2017.

We'll probably still do the tram though, because we want to also get to the Rock Church and a few other places.

Thanks for the heads up.

Well that's a bummer. It looked like it was going to be really efficient to walk right outside to the tram. Looks like construction won't finish until 2017.

We'll probably still do the tram though, because we want to also get to the Rock Church and a few other places.

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. It was a beautiful day so not a big deal to walk but I could see it being a pain in bad weather.

Good to note as this also surprised me when visiting the area. The terminus of tram 9 at West terminal has been moved about 200 meters north due to construction work of a new ferry terminal to which the tracks are going to be extended. This temporary arrangement will be in effect until 2017.

When returning to the ship with the tram you could nowadays get off already at Bunkkeri stop which is just opposite to the terminus (and slightly closer to the ship) before the tram goes for the U-turn.

Really good thread. This in tandem with Rick Steve's book will answer all the questions regarding your day's port stop. We are looking forward to visiting Helsinki and hoping for a good weather day so we can walk the city.

Radisson Blu Plaza is located at Mikonkatu 23 which is about 100 meters east from the central railway station. (Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Radisson+Blu+Plaza+Hotelli,+Helsinki/@60.1702209,24.9398609,15.08z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x46920bcd8f99e901:0x76b423a9869d5e44!8m2!3d60.172473!4d24.945556)

Senate Square, Market Square, and the Esplanade are within easy walking distance and tram stops are about a block away from the hotel.

Do you know how far the Raddison Blu Plaza is from the Raddisin Blue Royal? We want to walk around where the Royal is . Thank you.

It looks like an easy walk. How is the weather? We will be there next week

Weather could be better. Weather reports says:

Monday 11th: showers

Tuesday 12th: a bit clowdy

Wednesday 13th: rainy

Thursday 14th: sunny

70-75 degrees (F) dropping to 60-65 degrees during nights.

Everything is of course relative but lets say that the area near the railway station is rather high on the list of places in Helsinki that might become a bit "messy" during nights. The Kaisaniemi park north to the hotel earlier also had a bit of bad reputation, but things seems to have improved there. Both places are safe during daytime.

Weather could be better. Weather reports says:

Monday 11th: showers

Tuesday 12th: a bit clowdy

Wednesday 13th: rainy

Thursday 14th: sunny

70-75 degrees (F) dropping to 60-65 degrees during nights.

Everything is of course relative but lets say that the area near the railway station is rather high on the list of places in Helsinki that might become a bit "messy" during nights. The Kaisaniemi park north to the hotel earlier also had a bit of bad reputation, but things seems to have improved there. Both places are safe during daytime.

Another question, do you think it is worth it to take the ferry to Tallin? Is is nice there?

I don't know anything about taking the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, but I can say that Tallinn is well worth visiting. It was our 2nd favorite port stop (after SPB) on our Baltic cruise last summer.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Jonza and UT,

Arriving on Sept 7, 2016. Family of 4 with dad being in a wheelchair. We can push him but worried about cobblestone or sidewalk crossings?

Is Helsinki wheelchair friendly on the tram? And the following tourist areas? How about the sidewalks?

We will be docking at West Harbour and thinking of taking the #9 tram to Market square, Rock Church, Senate Square, Central Railway, Stockman, Hakanielini Market and Suomenlinna(if it is a nice day).

Thanks,

Grace

Hello Jonza and UT,

Is Helsinki wheelchair friendly on the tram? And the following tourist areas? How about the sidewalks?

The newer type of trams are all wheelchair friendly low floor vehicles. For example all route 9 trams seems to be of that type. Some older type trams have been rebuilt with a low entrance in the middle but some non-rebuilt trams remain. The non-low types are indicated by an "e" in the time tables:

https://www.hsl.fi/en/timetables-and-routes

Also in many places the stops have been rebuilt with raised platforms.

Usually side walks are made of asphalt or flat stones. There are some places, especially in downtown, with cobble stones either on the sidewalks or on the streets/street crossings.

Market square, Senate Square, Hakaniemi Market

Cobble stones. (but not the worst kind)

Stockmann

Some of the sidewalks around the department store do have cobble stones but you should be able to avoid them.

Rock Church

Only a few meters of stones right at the entrance.

Central Railway station

Should not be a problem.

Suomenlinna

That's a bad one, I'm afraid. Not wheelchair friendly with ancient type of round cobble stones and very hilly terrain. :(

I recommend you have a look at google maps. There is street view available for all the places you mention.

Thanks for the info, UT.

Also, can we wheelchair dad from port to town or town to port if we decide to walk? Is it possible? If so, one hour walk?

That's Regal Princess? Some 2.2 miles if you want to walk all the way to the market so one hour should be about right. Decent sidewalks all the way, quite flat terrain.