Helsinki 2016 advice thread and FAQ

Jonza

Yes. The opposite platform is just across the tracks, but if you intend to make that transfer it would make more sense to transfer at the previous Simonkatu stop to avoid backtracking.

Marimekko has four stores in downtown Helsinki. The flagship store is located on the corner of the Esplanade and Mikonkatu. The address for the store is Mikonkatu 1.

Thank you for the info. The last time we visited Helsinki we were on a crowded tram as it sped by the Railway station. I always thought if we got back to Helsinki that I wanted to get a better look at it- very impressive building.

The flagship store is the one I remember- want to go back again!:)

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are doing a Baltic cruise in late June. We dock in Helsinki on Mon 27th June from 8am until 5pm, our port is Hernersaari.

From your earlier post we take bus 14 into the centre (will the driver tell us where to alight?) and we can buy the all day pass for 8euro off the driver, is this correct? I note others have mentioned bus 16 (is this a mistake or an alternative?)

Looking at the highlights both Suomenlinna and Seurasaari are mentioned, I don't think both would be possible in one day along with the general downtown, do you agree?

If we have to choose one we are leaning towards Suomenlinna, as it looks more to our tastes, the ferry is near the centre and included in the day pass.

The trams is where I get a little confused, 3B and 3T are usually mentioned as good rides for an overview of the city, hence I assume they are a loop? how long would that loop take? Does it pass the Rock Church?

Others talk about trams 2 or 3 -are these different to above?

Lastly, others talk about the tourist hop on hop off TRAM being included in the transport price, is this different again?

Where should I pick up these trams?

I think overall we want to visit Suomenlinna fortress island; the Rock church and walk around the market square, esplanade, senate square, Stockmann and maybe Design area - will this be possible in the one day?

We are 40 and walkers so no issue getting around.

Appreciate all the help

James

Somehow I completely missed everything sweet when thinking about things to try. Korvapuusti is an excellent suggestion. If you want to make it even more typical, switch the hot chocolate to coffee (or kahvi in Finnish). In Finland ordering a coffee will get you a cup of lightly roasted filter coffee which the Finns on average more than two cups a day getting us to the top or top-3 in coffee consumption per capita depending on the source.

For the 2/3 loop there is actually a leaflet available also as a pdf: https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/3b3t_esite_en_12.8.2013.pdf

When using an older guide book (or reading old trip reports) just check that the info still holds especially regarding transportation. Changes from recent years affecting cruise visitiors include. From fall 2012: the extension of tram 9 to West Terminal (close to LMA), complete redrawing of bus lines in southern Helsinki which removed the direct but infrequent bus 16 between Hernesaari (LHB and LHC) and Market Square. From fall 2013: Tram lines 3T and 3B were renamed to 2 and 3 (there was also a previous change regarding the logic of numbering 3T and 3B made in 2009). So if your guide book has a route direction with 3B, 3T, or 16, check how that connection works nowadays.

Great catch 6T really offers a lot more places to get directly back to ship from downtown and especially on weekends runs as frequently as 9.

Sorry Jonza - just saw this reply of yours which answers many of my questions regarding the transport numbers. :eek:

I think overall we want to visit Suomenlinna fortress island; the Rock church and walk around the market square, esplanade, senate square, Stockmann and maybe Design area - will this be possible in the one day?

Sounds OK to me.

Others talk about trams 2 or 3 -are these different to above?

I assume they are a loop? how long would that loop take? Does it pass the Rock Church?

Lastly, others talk about the tourist hop on hop off TRAM being included in the transport price, is this different again?

They are all the same. Tram 2/3 makes a figure "8", so tram #2 is doing the "S" part of the "8" , then changes number to tram #3 and does the inverted "S" part of the "8". Total loop takes about an hour and DO passes the rock church (as tram #2, stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut").

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1003++1,1003++2

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002++1,1002++2

From your earlier post we take bus 14 into the centre (will the driver tell us where to alight?) and we can buy the all day pass for 8 euro off the driver, is this correct?

That's correct but I recommend you step off bus 14 at stop "Tehtaanpuisto" and then take tram 3 (continue forward on same side of the street past next corner to the tram stop, tram stop is named "Eiran sairaala") to the market where you also will find the ferry to the fortress.

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1014++1,1014++2

Sounds OK to me.

They are all the same. Tram 2/3 makes a figure "8", so tram #2 is doing the "S" part of the "8" , then changes number to tram #3 and does the inverted "S" part of the "8". Total loop takes about an hour and DO passes the rock church (as tram #2, stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut").

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1003++1,1003++2

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002++1,1002++2

That's correct but I recommend you step off bus 14 at stop "Tehtaanpuisto" and then take tram 3 (continue forward on same side of the street past next corner to the tram stop, tram stop is named "Eiran sairaala") to the market where you also will find the ferry to the fortress.

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1014++1,1014++2

Many thanks U T for this helpful and timely response.

Can I just check then, there is no "tourist tram - HOHO"? People are just referring to 2/3?

Is there anything we have not thought of that you would recommend for us? Any place you particularly recommend for visitors?

Oh and the ferry to fortress island that is included in the travel pass, this is fine? is there any reason to take the other boat?

many regards

James

James, we were in Helsinki last summer on a Baltic Cruise and this is what we were able to do during our stop there:

Docked in LMA. Took #9 Tram to main train station. Walked down the main shopping street (past Stockman's etc.) to the Esplanade and then to Market Square.

Took the ferry from Market Square to Suomelinna Island and spent a couple of hours walking all over the island. We did not pay to go into any of the museums or attractions, but found plenty to see that interested us for our time there. Took the ferry back to Market Square.

Spent about 30-45 minutes persusing the various stalls in Market Square and then walked up the Esplanade to the Esplanad Cafe (Pohjoisesplanadi 37) where we purchased coffee/hot chocolate and korvapuustit (large cinnamon buns) for our lunch, which we ate at tables outside and enjoyed people-watching.

Caught the tram to the Church in the Rock and spent about 30 minutes there listening to a free piano concert. Walked from there to the Kaampi Chapel of Silence and then caught a tram back to LMA, arriving well before the ship departed.

So, about the only thing we did not do that you would like to do is spend some time inside Stockman's. I think you would have time for this too.

Can I just check then, there is no "tourist tram - HOHO"? People are just referring to 2/3?

Correct.

Oh and the ferry to fortress island that is included in the travel pass, this is fine? is there any reason to take the other boat?

No. The waterbus stops at another quay next to the visitor center and the main fortress, sparing you a 5 minute walk across the first island but then the waterbus route is longer so you'll just spare your feet, not much time. I recommend you just use the ferry as it is free with the day ticket.

http://frantic.s3.amazonaws.com/suomenlinna/2015/09/kartta_en.pdf

What are the different ways to get from the cruise port to the aviation Museum in Vantaa? A taxi would be the last way I would choose, but would if necessary - how much are taxis from the Railway station in Helsinki to there? We will be there June 4 on the Zuiderdam.

Thanks,

-John

What are the different ways to get from the cruise port to the aviation Museum in Vantaa? A taxi would be the last way I would choose, but would if necessary - how much are taxis from the Railway station in Helsinki to there? We will be there June 4 on the Zuiderdam.

You will then dock at West Harbour, quay LMA. If you want to use public transport then tram 9 would take you to the railway station. Shuttle buses would usually drop you off some 600m from the railway station.

The new Ring Rail Line will take you from the central station to within 150m of the aviation museum.

Take either local train "I" or "P" and exit at station "Aviapolis". Both trains depart every 10-15 min on Saturdays and as "Aviapolis" is in the middle of the route it takes 29 minutes regardless if you use "P" train (clockwise) or "I" train (counter clockwise). Note that "Aviapolis is located in region two zone.

An one day zone two ticket costs 12 euro, single tickets would cost 5.50 e.

https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/keharata_595x800.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_Rail_Line

Edited by Ultima Thule

It has been mentioned here to exit at the Kauppakorkeakoulut stop for the Rock Church, but another source says the Sammonkatu stop from the 2T. Which is actually closer?

Kauppakorkeakoulut might be further away from the church by a few meters, 260 v.s 250/210m (the Sammonkatu platforms are not opposite each other), but it is the stop closer to the town center so coming from there you'll reach that stop first and the gradient on the uphill to the church (going back from the stop to Fredrik street) is slightly less than when using Luther street.

Ok ... ?

Looks to be just a reply to a question on page #1 without reading on to page #2.

It has been mentioned here to exit at the Kauppakorkeakoulut stop for the Rock Church, but another source says the Sammonkatu stop from the 2T. Which is actually closer?

Ultima Thule already replied to the actual question, but to avoid any confusion: the tram is 2 not 2T. What used to be 3T is now 2 and what used to be 3B is now 3.

We are arriving in Helsinki at 7am and depart at 2pm. I am wondering if it's possible to go to Suomenlinna and also see a few sites like Rock Church? There is a waterbus that leaves at 10, we could see the 25 min film and take the 11am English guided tour and catch the 12:30 waterbus back. What is don't know is if there is time to see Rock Church before hand and still get to Market Square prior to boarding the waterbus and then get back to the ship probably by 1:30. Thoughts?

We are arriving in Helsinki at 7am and depart at 2pm. I am wondering if it's possible to go to Suomenlinna and also see a few sites like Rock Church? There is a waterbus that leaves at 10, we could see the 25 min film and take the 11am English guided tour and catch the 12:30 waterbus back. What is don't know is if there is time to see Rock Church before hand and still get to Market Square prior to boarding the waterbus and then get back to the ship probably by 1:30. Thoughts?
The opening hours of the Rock Church are not clear yet, but typically it is open 10am-5pm and is closed during services.

Unless you are really into guided tours and history, I would do Suomenlinna on my own as the English tour is at a pretty inconvenient time for a 2pm ship departure. Maps for planing your walking in Suomenlinna are available here: http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/visitor/plan-your-visit/maps/

I would only recommend the waterbus if you want to avoid walking. The waterbus gets you either to the middle or to the southern end of the islands whereas the public ferry gets you to the northern end. Thus to minimize walking you would want to take the waterbus in the other and the public ferry in the other direction. However, the travel time are 15 min for the public ferry and 20-30 min for the waterbus depending on the stop. The summer timetable for the public ferry is not out yet. The walk between the quays is about 15 minutes. You can see the current timetable with fewer departures here: http://aikataulut.reittiopas.fi/linjat/en/hLautta_Kauppatori.html The waterbus timetable is already out: http://jt-line.fi/eng/suomenlinna-vallisaari-lonna/timetable-suomenlinna .

If you want to see all that you mentioned, you should get an early start and head Suomenlinna first. The public ferry starts running before your ship arrives so that is not a problem. After Suomenlinna (or before if you have to wait for the ferry) you could explore Market Square and the surrounding areas. Then you could head over to the Rock Church and return to your ship from there.

To give you a sense of the travel times, I assume that you are docking at LHC:

LHC-Suomenlinna is 45-60 minutes

Suomenlinna - Rock Church is 40-50 minutes

Rock Church - LHC is 20-30 minutes

Thus you will spend a maximum of 2.5 hours moving from place to place leaving you 3 hours to spend at Suomenlinna, downtown area, and the Rock Church assuming that you have 1.5 hours divided between getting off the ship and as the safety cushion before departure.

Note that Suomenlinna is mainly outside and exposed to the open sea, so if it is raining, skipping it might be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Docked in LMA. Took #9 Tram to main train station. Walked down the main shopping street (past Stockman's etc.) to the Esplanade and then to Market Square.

Took the ferry from Market Square to Suomelinna Island and spent a couple of hours walking all over the island. We did not pay to go into any of the museums or attractions, but found plenty to see that interested us for our time there. Took the ferry back to Market Square.

Spent about 30-45 minutes persusing the various stalls in Market Square and then walked up the Esplanade to the Esplanad Cafe (Pohjoisesplanadi 37) where we purchased coffee/hot chocolate and korvapuustit (large cinnamon buns) for our lunch, which we ate at tables outside and enjoyed people-watching.

Caught the tram to the Church in the Rock and spent about 30 minutes there listening to a free piano concert. Walked from there to the Kaampi Chapel of Silence and then caught a tram back to LMA, arriving well before the ship departed

Hey GradUT,

I was thinking about the same sights as yours, so was wondering about the trams. Is it Tram 9 for all the sights (e.g. tram 9 to railway station) and where would you catch the ferry to Suomelinna Island ? Is this ferry ride part of te all day 8 euro transit pass?

What tram # is it to the Rock Church and where do you catch it? and what tram # is it heading back to the ship? How do I know if it is heading in the correct direction (e.g. to the ship)

Sorry for ll the detailed questions, but i am also nervous about taking public transit in foreign countries that do not have English signage.

BTW what time did you start your sightseeing and how long were you out for? Just wanted to get a ball figure of a timeline.

Thanks, Louise

PS is there a PDF for tram stops/schedule?

Hey GradUT,

I was thinking about the same sights as yours, so was wondering about the trams. Is it Tram 9 for all the sights (e.g. tram 9 to railway station) and where would you catch the ferry to Suomelinna Island ? Is this ferry ride part of te all day 8 euro transit pass?

What tram # is it to the Rock Church and where do you catch it? and what tram # is it heading back to the ship? How do I know if it is heading in the correct direction (e.g. to the ship)

Sorry for ll the detailed questions, but i am also nervous about taking public transit in foreign countries that do not have English signage.

BTW what time did you start your sightseeing and how long were you out for? Just wanted to get a ball figure of a timeline.

Thanks, Louise

PS is there a PDF for tram stops/schedule?

With this plan and docking at LMA, you need three public transit lines. Tram #9, tram #2 and the ferry to Suomenlinna.

Tram #9 has its terminus within walking distance from LMA and passes through the downtown core. As GradUT, you should get off at the railway station (Rautatieasema) to walk through the downtown to Market Square or transfer to tram #2. Tram #2 runs between the Market Square (Kauppatori) and the Rock Church (closest stop: Kauppakorkeakoulut). For the Kamppi chapel of silence the closest stop is Simonkatu on both #2 and #9.

All trams stops have signs stating the lines stopping there and the directions they are heading (picture: http://kaupunginosat.net/kapyla/images/stories/users/Ratikka/p6280890.jpg). All trams also show the line number as well as direction on them (picture: http://www.raitio.org/news/uutis13/uukuva13_1/hkl63_2702_pertila.jpg). Timetables for the summer are not out yet, but expect both tram lines to run at least every ten minutes and the ferry at least every 20 minutes.

The directions you are interested in are:

Line #9: Länsiterminaali (towards the ship) - Pasila (away from ship)

Line #2 Olympiaterminaali (southbound, towadrs Market Square) - Nordenskiöldinkatu (northbound, towards Church in the Rock)

Lines in the interactive maps of the transit autohority:

Tram #2: http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002++1,1002++2

Tram #9: http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1009++1,1009++2

Ferry: http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1019++1,1019++2

Schematic PDF map of the tram lines: https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/raitiolinjat_2.pdf

Map overlay PDF of the tram lines: https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/raitiolinjat_ja_keskustan_bussilinjoja.pdf

Thanks so much for the detailed post above. I just have some more questions. I was thinking of forgoing the fortress visit and replacing it with a visit to Sibelius Monument. In this case my planned day would look like this:

1. Get off ship early and head to Sibelius Monument

2. Then to Rock Church

3. Then to Market Square where we will visit the sights around there (e.g. Senate Square, Helsinki Cathedral) and grab a bite to eat before heading back to the ship.

My questions are: (a) is this do-able for the time we have in port? I would like a relaxing schedule, with plenty of time to return to the ship.

(b) Can you provide me with transit directions on how to get to each of these places (from point A to point B to point C etc.) and finally back to the ship?

© Is this sightseeing a good order to do the sights? I was thinking of Sibelius first, because it was the furthest.

Any insights/recommendations would be much appreciated. Your previous details/ links are invaluable!!!

Louise

at before heading back to the ship.

(a) is this do-able for the time we have in port? I would like a relaxing schedule, with plenty of time to return to the ship.

Should be easy.

(b) Can you provide me with transit directions on how to get to each of these places (from point A to point B to point C etc.) and finally back to the ship?

If you are docking at quay LHB or LHC, just take bus 14.

Assuming you are docking at quay LMA, take tram 9, exit at stop "Kampintori". Walk up to the corner, cross the street, turn left, walk (along "Fredrikinkatu") past the entrance to the "Kamppi" (subway station/bus statio/shopping mall) to the bus stop at the corner of the white building (Finnkino, museum). Take bus 14, 18 or 39 to stop "Töölön kirjasto". Over the street to the library building in the park. Take the street to the right of the library ("Humalistankatu" - slightly uphill, slight bend on street). Across the major street ("Mechelininkatu" - push button for green light) Turn left and into the park at the corner (Alternative: follow "Mechelininkatu" down to the bottom of the hill and you'll see the monument to the right).

Same way back, but bus stops are not across each other, so you'll have to turn left (North) at "Topeliuksenkatu" and walk a bit to reach the stop. Same buses back, exit at "Kauppakorkeakoulut". Across the street and uphill along "Lutherinkatu" to the Rock church.

From the rock church downhill along "Lutherinkatu" and left or "Fredrikinkatu" and right to the tram stop at the street corner. Take tram 2 (beware of the direction, should be the platform further away from church) past the railway station to the Market (exit at "Senaatintori" or "Kauppatori".)

You could take tram 9, for example from the railway station, back to the ship (from the platform closer to the railway station, tram sign should say "Länsiterminaali").

Edited by Ultima Thule

Have a quick, and hopefully easy, question concerning the City Tour Red Bus.

Will be docking at LHC quay in June - about what time will the first City Tour Red Bus arrive? The website says every 30 minutes starting at 10:00, but I am assuming that's for the first stop. Will the buses run earlier when a cruise ship is docked?

Thanks for any help/clarification!