Where to stay in Galveston

saherri

Where is the best place to stay the night before the cruise in Galveston? I would like to be by the beach, but would be nice to watch the cruise ship come in also. I would like to stay under $200 and have free parking for the time I am on the cruise. Please help!

We are staying at:

Comfort Suites

3606 89th Street,

Galveston, TX, US, 77554

+1 (409) 741-9977

The room was under $80 with free parking for the week and a shuttle that will take us to the port the morning of the cruise.

There is a side of the hotel that I think will have a view of the ocean. I'm not 100% sure though. I figure I will be tired from the 10 hour drive anyway, so I won't care at all.

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, not directly on the beach, but close to the fun pier and such. They had a shuttle, not sure if they still do. Been a year since I stayed there. Couldn't see the ship cone in, but could see the ships whale tale across the island. Very comfy beds and nice people. Lots of shopping, restaurants, and other stuff in walking distance.

Some friends turned us on to the Hotel Galvez. It is on Seawall Blvd. Can't watch the ship come in, but very nice rooms - lots of places to eat near by. Transport to and from the port were painless.

Have fun, Edie

http://www.hotelgalvez.com/

Like most good hotels I doubt you will find it for just 1 night of for 200, on my week it was only available for 300 per and you need to have a 2 night stay and that's the reason we will book by Hobby and get a decent hotel for about 200 less.

Like most good hotels I doubt you will find it for just 1 night of for 200, on my week it was only available for 300 per and you need to have a 2 night stay and that's the reason we will book by Hobby and get a decent hotel for about 200 less.

We do not fly to Galveston. So using a hotel near Hobby does us no good. The last time we used Hotel Galvez was just this past October/November we were only required to stay 1 night - and we left our car for 22 nights as we did the Journey's cruise to San Juan and then Back to Galveston.

So I think anybody needs to do their homework and see what works for them. Which is what I was offering - an option for them to consider.

Thanks, Edie

We do not fly to Galveston. So using a hotel near Hobby does us no good.

Thanks, Edie

I don't understand why a hotel near Hobby does you no good. We drive from Oklahoma. Generally we are ready to stop when we get to Houston, mostly because the traffic is pretty bad at that time. We have stayed near Hobby several times. We usually stay at the Drury Inn there. We enjoy their evening reception and the breakfast in the morning, and then drive down to Galveston the next morning around 9am with hardly any traffic.

FYI: Can't fly into Galveston - Hobby Airport is the nearest.

There are numerous motels along 45S - not the best areas.

Hobby to Galveston is 40 miles.

Harbor House is the hotel that has views of the port to see the ships arrive.

Higher floors of the Galvez on the north side of hotel will also give views of the port

Any hotel on Seawall will give you a view of the Gulf.

The hotel on 89th street will have views of the Gulf of Mexico

Where is the best place to stay the night before the cruise in Galveston? I would like to be by the beach, but would be nice to watch the cruise ship come in also. I would like to stay under $200 and have free parking for the time I am on the cruise. Please help!

There is not hotel on beach to watch ship come in.

If you stay on beach ,

you could get up early and drive to east beach first and watch ships come in Gulf channel, and then drive to pier 21 and

watch ships come in Galveston port channel and docking at terminals .

Since we have only cruised on or near spring break, we stay at the Comfort Inn in Texas City and drive the 20 minutes to Galveston on embarkation day and park at the Park N Cruise. I got the idea from this board for our first cruise and it worked great so we are doing it again in February. I would love to stay in Galveston but the prices are high and we could not find anything for just 1 night last year.

Since we have only cruised on or near spring break, we stay at the Comfort Inn in Texas City and drive the 20 minutes to Galveston on embarkation day and park at the Park N Cruise. I got the idea from this board for our first cruise and it worked great so we are doing it again in February. I would love to stay in Galveston but the prices are high and we could not find anything for just 1 night last year.

After Mardi Gras prices will be lower until spring break !

We're Texans and have noticed that hotel prices in Galveston have more than doubled. Be sure to check tripadvisor.com for ratings as some areas are dicey.

The solution for us is to use SPG (Starwood) credit card points. The rate for our pre-cruise stay at Four Points is priced at $400. Ouch. We booked a double for 7,000 points. This card is rated as one of the top 5 cards as far as value goes.

• 4 weeks later...
We're Texans and have noticed that hotel prices in Galveston have more than doubled. Be sure to check tripadvisor.com for ratings as some areas are dicey.

The solution for us is to use SPG (Starwood) credit card points. The rate for our pre-cruise stay at Four Points is priced at $400. Ouch. We booked a double for 7,000 points. This card is rated as one of the top 5 cards as far as value goes.

I can't remember Galveston being so expensive until I checked the other day for the night before my sailing on April 23. Most around $200 and up.

I am also staying at the Four points by Sheraton the night before our cruise in May. It was 215.00 for one night. I checked prices on some of the others, but decided to stay there because we can leave the car there and a two night stay is not required. There is no shuttle to the pier, so we will have to take a cab to and from the ship.

Four Points, as I understand, charges a daily rate to park your vehicle while you are on your cruise. That coupled with having to try to get a taxi cab (and pay $15 each way) on the morning of embark/debark, we decided to just bite the bullet and pay $60 for parking. Not worth the hassle to me.

I can't remember Galveston being so expensive until I checked the other day for the night before my sailing on April 23. Most around $200 and up.

We had booked Hilton in April 2014 for a little over 100, in April last year and this year they want over 200 for same room and now they require a 2 night stay. We stayed at Doubletree by Hobby for about 100 last year and this, it has nice restaurant , pool and bar/lounge. Just booked it yesterday