Night Light usage question

cruiser boo

"Shaver outlets have isolating transformers not voltage reduction transformers and are intended to reduce shock hazard around plumbing. They are low amperage not low voltage and therefore can accept any 110v device that does not draw much power."

Thank you. I also found this informative. When someone says they have used the plug in this manner that does not tell me that it is ok to use it in this manner, only that it works. Your information tells me that a small nightlight is appropriate and I find that very useful!

Edited by QueenofEverything

The bathroom "shaver" outlet has only two prongs so no ground prong. The outlet will accept either two flat prongs (US) or two round prongs (Europe) where only one can be used at a time. It is however a low current rated outlet and will trip if you try to pull too much current. Night lights are certainly in the very low current category and will work. We use the outlet solely to keep our toothbrushes charged.

Thank you! I always like to know how things work. Why and how are my favorite question words. I am a very proud geek!

I agree with 'arctickitty' .... I have wondered why there was a plug in the bathroom with such limited intended usefulness.

Thanks to 'MGAfhc' and 'satxdiver' for explaining.

I rely on a couple of battery operated candles to serve as nightlights in the cabin and the bathroom. I like that if there is a power outage they will still operate. (Just remember to pack extra batteries for them!!)

I decided long ago that I did not like the brightness of the light in the bathroom in the middle of the night. It was too hard for me to get back to sleep after the harshness of that light. That's when I switched to battery powered candles.

Battery powered tea lights work great and give off a nice light. We use them every cruise.

We do too. The biggest advantage over a plug-in nightlight is that you don't need to find a plug! In a mini suite we put 2 on different shelves in the bathroom and another on the little hallway shelf between the closet and the sleeping area. They work for about 20 nights (at least in our experience) before the battery needs to be changed.

Battery powered tea lights work great and give off a nice light. We use them every cruise.

I like that idea and will pick up a couple to try on our next cruise. Sometimes leaving the bathroom light on with the door closed is more light than we want.

We have 10 feet charging cords for our iPads. We plug them in to charge at night and have an app that is a large digital clock. We can turn the display down to very dim, however we can see the time in the dark, and will give us enough light to navigate to the bathroom.

We use that type of glowing night light at the desk's socket but hesitated to try it in the bathroom's shaver socket...good to know that it also works there...thanks. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=372544&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1451859825

In an inside cabin I use that same nightlight. In an OV or Balcony I had no need of a nightlight.