Balcony Doors on Navigator

[ATTACH]372575[/ATTACH]

Yes, they do open. This is deck 9 on Navigator. You will need to ask your stateroom attendant to open it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carolyn, Was this a recent pic? I know for years when Navigator was based out of Port Everglades and then Galveston the ship didnt allow the partitions to be opened. The only time I ever had someone in the next balcony we weren't allowed. (back in 2009) This would be welcome news.

Carolyn, Was this a recent pic? I know for years when Navigator was based out of Port Everglades and then Galveston the ship didnt allow the partitions to be opened. The only time I ever had someone in the next balcony we weren't allowed. (back in 2009) This would be welcome news.

This picture was taken in September 2015. They were doing maintenance on the deck. We've never had a problem with allowing the partitions to be opened.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

We were told at Captain's Corner (by Capt Per K, I think) that the official policy on Mariner and Navigator (the only Voyager class ships with balconies that can be opened) is that it is generally not allowed because the balcony dividers open like a swinging door and cannot be safely secured. Your request will be approved or denied according to the general policy set by the senior staff onboard the ship, and may be based on Captain's preference or sea conditions or other variables. (In other words, it is not up to your steward, and greasing his palm will not yield a different result because he must follow the orders of his superiors on the ship or out his job at risk)

It is different on Freedom and Oasis class ships because the dividers slide into each other and don't swing freely when in the open position.

I found that opening the balcony dividers on NOS was more trouble than it was worth. Those dividers are designed to be opened for maintenance purposes rather than making a huge balcony between rooms. We had two non-connecting rooms with our teenage boys in the other room and wanted to be able to go between rooms easily without having to go into the hallway. As others have described, the way our divider worked was it swung either way right into the middle of the sliding door openings to the rooms, so it took some maneuvering to get around it, as well as making a good portion of the balcony unusable. And because it doesn't secure to anything, when we got rough seas or wind it tended to bang around, so you always had to put a chair in front of it, which further impeded going between rooms, which was the whole point of having them open in the first place. I also see how this could be dangerous and therefore it's not a given that the crew will allow them to be opened. The newer ships have doors that were designed to be opened for non-maintenance purposes so it's a much better experience.