Norwegian Getaway or Getaworst?

galaxyq

We just finished a Norwegian Getaway cruise with a terrible on-board experience. Our cabin was next to a very noisy group of youths. We were awoken every single night of our cruise, between 1am and 430am every night. We didn't get a single good night of sleep.

After the first night I raised concerns with the guest relations desk, believing the noise came from upstairs. Whilst I received a call from a manager, no actual action was taken.

After other nights of noise we called security 5 separate times. Sometimes action was taken, sometimes nothing was done.

Every night we had running, banging, loud voices, doors slamming, people coming and going, the outside door opening and closing, people jumping on beds, yelling and other loud activity.

I believe this was a group of people under the age of 18, so they should have been required to return to their cabins after curfew. I was told that the issue was escalated to senior staff on board, but no action was taken.

The bottom line is we left the ship exhausted, more tired than when we came on. It was a horrible on-board experience that should have been addressed.

Also, fwiw, guest relations has been pretty appalling. I queued for 20 minutes on board, only to be handed a card with a number to call. I was on hold for 40 minutes on that number, only to be told that I had to use the website. I'd like my hour back please.

We've raised the issue with Norwegian (again!) and await a reply. Will post if there's any positive outcome.

That stinks. I know how things like that can sour a whole vacation when it's ongoing.

FWIW, we always travel with earplugs just in case. It's no excuse for the kids and parents behavior or for the lack of sufficient response, but it saves my sanity many times.

We were also on the Getaway and got off yesterday. (NYE cruise) I agree there was a lot of noise in the hallways. We were in a balcony on deck 12, and there was the usual slamming of doors (cabin and balcony) at all hours, and many teens roaming around, but we were lucky though, and the cabins around us were relatively quiet at night.

I will say that I have never seen such long lines at Guest Relations. They seemed to have been very short-handed, and tempers were flaring as people spent their valuable vacation time waiting to be helped.

All in all- aside from long tendering lines for Great Stirrup Cay, the cruise was great!

This is just another reason NOT to cruise when school is out. Heading out on the Getaway in 6 days and expect the age of the passengers to be much different.

Unfortunately, some people don't have a choice! As a teacher, have to cruise on school vacations. Husband is a CPA, so Jan. thru April is tax season! And one dd's NYC company closes for the Christmas week, so she doesn't lose any vacay days by cruising with us Christmas week. Maybe someday....:D

Unfortunately, some people don't have a choice! As a teacher, have to cruise on school vacations. Husband is a CPA, so Jan. thru April is tax season! And one dd's NYC company closes for the Christmas week, so she doesn't lose any vacay days by cruising with us Christmas week. Maybe someday....:D

The holiday cruises are the most popular and most expensive voyages of the year. The ships sail with 3rd and 4th bunk occupancy up to lifeboat capacity.

These cruises are consistently reported as "worst cruise ever", year after year after year. Now, if this is the only week you can travel, at least understand that these ships will sail packed to capacity with families and kids of all ages and are going to be crowded, noisy and have diminished services levels.

Enjoy your trip but take with you the expectations of what happens during these weeks and please don't come back here to state the obvious.

I would say about 80% of things stated on here are obvious. People crack me up. If I was old and had my choice of whenever I cruise I would not cruise on any popular holiday or spring break. Although even though I have a 12 year old I have sailed on non Holiday or popular times I found maybe 2 times the ships were filled with older folks and everything was empty on the ship by 10pm and it was real boring.

The holiday cruises are the most popular and most expensive voyages of the year. The ships sail with 3rd and 4th bunk occupancy up to lifeboat capacity.

These cruises are consistently reported as "worst cruise ever", year after year after year. Now, if this is the only week you can travel, at least understand that these ships will sail packed to capacity with families and kids of all ages and are going to be crowded, noisy and have diminished services levels.

Enjoy your trip but take with you the expectations of what happens during these weeks and please don't come back here to state the obvious.

Ty for your words of wisdom. After 30 cruises I know what to expect during these high capacity periods. We have never had a "worst cruise ever" and never expect to experience one. Even if we do have glitches we roll with them. You must have missed the last line of my post.

Ty for your words of wisdom. After 30 cruises I know what to expect during these high capacity periods. We have never had a "worst cruise ever" and never expect to experience one. Even if we do have glitches we roll with them. You must have missed the last line of my post.

I only quoted you to add-on to what you already said to the PP. Wisdom not directed at you. ;)

We were also on this cruise and as can be expected had a completely different experience...even with the noise. I found guest services quite responsive...took our complaints, made calls, followed up with us and continued to follow up as the week went on. The lines were long at times, but I found no line at guest services several times each day. We expected crazy numbers of kids and had them, but other than the bouncing set upstairs, and a couple of noisy gawkers on balconies in Cozumel when the ship left port nearly 4 hours late, we didn't hear a thing in our room, even on New Years....we were on deck 9 starboard. I think realistic expectations are important on vacations...if you want limited passengers and minimal kids choose a line that does not cater to families. They do exist.

Edited by mom23krzkidz

We cruised for the first time last year during spring break. It was a lesson learned never to cruise during that time again. Lots of noise...drunk college kids and puke in the halls. I felt so badly for our steward who cleaned it up daily. :( The smell was horrible.

Are holiday sailings that bad? We just booked Christmas because it sounded fun. Now I'm a little worried.

No, holiday sailings are not that bad. We have sailed ()different lines nearly every Christmas for the past 10+ years. Ships sail filled to capacity, there are more kids and (extended) families onboard, but it is a wonderful time to cruise. You can always find a quiet place if you need to. I would suggest trying to pre-plan your specialty restaurant meals and shows, and book in advance (reservations open 45 days ahead online) so you won't be closed out of anything you can't live without doing/seeing! This also goes for excursions, as many were quickly sold out on our cruise. Also - remember - the crew is also far away from home at Christmas. A smile, "good morning", Happy Holiday, etc. goes a long way. Saw too many people treating the crew like servants, or raising their voices at Guest Service desk without giving the workers there a chance to even help them!

This is just another reason NOT to cruise when school is out. Heading out on the Getaway in 6 days and expect the age of the passengers to be much different.

True. This is what I fear most when we take our cruise over April school vacation week. Not much of a choice as my wife is a teacher. Only saving grace I am hoping for is that we are in a Haven suite - so hopefully it will be relatively quiet in this area.

... Now, if this is the only week you can travel, at least understand that these ships will sail packed to capacity with families and kids of all ages and are going to be crowded, noisy and have diminished services levels.

Enjoy your trip but take with you the expectations of what happens during these weeks...

Very true! Already started making this point with my family and setting the proper expectations. Going in with the right attitude makes all the difference between having a great time or being miserable. Why pay so much $$$ to be miserable? :D

If it's a particular cabin I've been known to first try to talk to them (when they are sober). Sometimes they just don't realize what they're doing. Of course there's always the banging on their door when THEY are sleeping route.

Earplugs, mild sedatives (even benadryl helps)...but I use those anyway because DH sounds like an angry bear driving a locomotive when he snores.

I also love to have the balcony door open for the sound of the waves. We'll be in an OV this next cruise so hopefully no big noise makers near us.

This stuff happens at land hotels all the time. At least on sea days taking a nap mid day is easier and you don't usually miss much.

We were on the Dawn a couple years back during spring break. It was the first week of March, so we thought it wasn't spring break yet. 700 spring breakers on the ship. They has extra security on board. 25 got thrown off in Cozumel. 2 in the brig for destroying a picture at quest services. We had no problem with noise. The first time a saw a group of them leaving an inside room by our cabin, being loud, I discussed the issue with them directly. Slept well all week.

Cruise lines do have a rule that 1 adult must be assigned to the cabin with the the kids. However, many times the parents do a switch, leaving the kids alone in their own cabin.

Mommy & Daddy are still responsible for their minor children's behavior, so any excessive noise issues, should be discussed with them by the ship staff.

I find fewer children on the longer cruises of 10 or more nights. Most younger families choose cruises of 7 days or less.

True. This is what I fear most when we take our cruise over April school vacation week. Not much of a choice as my wife is a teacher. Only saving grace I am hoping for is that we are in a Haven suite - so hopefully it will be relatively quiet in this area.

I am a teacher also. We just went on the escape the week before Christmas in The Haven; ABSOLUTELY the best place to be. Always quiet, no crowds and spectacular service. With Key-card only access; you only have other Haven members walking by or around your cabin. Hope you enjoy it!

I am a teacher also. We just went on the escape the week before Christmas in The Haven; ABSOLUTELY the best place to be. Always quiet, no crowds and spectacular service. With Key-card only access; you only have other Haven members walking by or around your cabin. Hope you enjoy it!

You have been lucky if there weren't noisy kids in Haven, it has happened before - especially on holiday cruises.