Bay of Islands tender? Explorer of the seas

clm1982

Hi All,

Does anyone know where Explorer of the seas tenders to in Bay of Islands? Is it Paihia? And if so how would I get from there to Waiomo caves google tells me 20min drive, Taxi be my best bet?

Thanks Everyone

Hi All,

Does anyone know where Explorer of the seas tenders to in Bay of Islands? Is it Paihia? And if so how would I get from there to Waiomo caves google tells me 20min drive, Taxi be my best bet?

Thanks Everyone

Waiomo Caves are glow worm caves, but they aren't anywhere close to Paihia. They are about 5 hours south of Paihia :eek:

Sorry it has been a year and forgot the actual name of the caves, just recalled them as the Glow Worm Caves. We really enjoyed the trip and found it very interesting. Several of us walked through the rest of the caves and out the other side. We docked or tendered at Bay of islands and took the ships tour and don't recall it being very far away.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Cim, we tendered right in the Bay itself hard to recall exactly but about 20 min ride in then we took the vans over to the Kawiti Caves.The additional trip further into the caves and out unto the trail leading us back to the where we picked up the Vans was about another 20 minutes. What other ports will you be seeing. Our 13 day NZ cruise, went to the 3 Sounds, then to Dunedin, where we did the Otagos Peninsula, unto Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga & the thrilling Jet Boat ride, , Auckland, then Bay of Islands. If you would like to email me my address is GLea472968 at aol dot com. I see your from Adelaide so probably more familiar with the areas then I am.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Well you are the one that asked how to get to Waiomo caves. I just provided the information.

I think you are getting confused on Waitomo caves compared to Kawiti caves which are totally different and not 5 hours. In terms on how I should get there I meant either via taxi, or is there a bus that goes that way etc?

Thanks everyone, Desert Cruzisers we are going to the 3 sounds, Dunedin, Tauranga, Auckland and bay of islands.

So far I think we are doing:

Dunedin : Cadbury factory (we have small kids), Otego museum and Baldwin street, if we have time we may go somewhere else.

Tauranga

: We have a group of 15 so everyone is still deciding what they want to do. So far im thinking Hells gate + possible mud bath, Te Puia and Luge ride.

Auckland: not 100% sure may just wander the city.

Bay of islands - definitely want to do the kawiti caves and im thinking treaty grounds however I found a company that will do a tour of a few things for $950NZD for the 15 of us so we may do that not 100% sure till I check with the others.

Hello, been browsing for something else and found your QUERY

get a map of NZ and you will find PAHIA is in the NORTHLAND AREA (4-5HRS north of Auckland) and WAITOMO CAVES are on the OTHERSIDE of AUCKLAND, about 3-4hrs SOUTH