Caribbean New Year

bee-ess

Thinking of a Caribbean cruise on Britannia for 30th Dec 2016. Can anyone tell me what New Years Eve is like on board - do P&O make an effort to make it a party night ?, is it formal ?, special menu in MDR ? or is it just like a normal night on board. It is the 2nd night of the cruise so I guess it would be Captain Cocktail night.

Also would anyone have any idea when the Early Saver would be available for this cruise.

Just back off Caribbean Christmas and New Year cruise on Britannia and in IMHO P&O made a massive effort to make it fun and special.

It was a formal night (which was a bit of a pain being our last night on board, but we managed, especially as our lovely steward said we'd be fine putting all our cases out by 1 am, not just the last one - in fact all but one were out well before that). Two fixed sittings for a seven course gala dinner in the MDR (no buffet or freedom dining), dining room decorated with balloons, party hats on table, hooters, party poppers. Orders for champagne had been taken a couple of days before. Haggis on the menu - haggis piped in and the Address read by a member of the crew who was Scottish, so read properly.

Lots of music around the ship depending on your taste - e.g. dance band in the Crystal Room, pianist in the Crow's Nest, karaoke in Brodie's. We went to the Lido deck where Pulse, the resident band, who are brilliant, was playing. Early on the atmosphere was dampened by lots of heavy rain showers. Also suspect that like us lots of people were doing the last of their packing (a lot of people disembarking on NYD changed out of formal attire into casual).

Went back up to the Lido deck around 11, rain had stopped. Fantastic music and dancing, everyone in a good mood, brilliant party atmosphere. Countdown and blasts on the ship's horn as midnight struck. We just had time to sing Auld Lang Syne, then the heavens opened. Everyone dashed for cover, we retired to our cabin about 12.30 as we had to be up early for disembarkation the next day, but the party was still in full swing around the ship up to 1.30 (when our son crawled in!) and possibly after.

Dancing on a warm Deck 17 with a glass of champagne in hand and a velvet sky studded with stars above, surrounded by beautifully dressed people really enjoying themselves, will long be a special memory.

Just back off Caribbean Christmas and New Year cruise on Britannia and in IMHO P&O made a massive effort to make it fun and special.

It was a formal night (which was a bit of a pain being our last night on board, but we managed, especially as our lovely steward said we'd be fine putting all our cases out by 1 am, not just the last one - in fact all but one were out well before that). Two fixed sittings for a seven course gala dinner in the MDR (no buffet or freedom dining), dining room decorated with balloons, party hats on table, hooters, party poppers. Orders for champagne had been taken a couple of days before. Haggis on the menu - haggis piped in and the Address read by a member of the crew who was Scottish, so read properly.

Lots of music around the ship depending on your taste - e.g. dance band in the Crystal Room, pianist in the Crow's Nest, karaoke in Brodie's. We went to the Lido deck where Pulse, the resident band, who are brilliant, was playing. Early on the atmosphere was dampened by lots of heavy rain showers. Also suspect that like us lots of people were doing the last of their packing (a lot of people disembarking on NYD changed out of formal attire into casual).

Went back up to the Lido deck around 11, rain had stopped. Fantastic music and dancing, everyone in a good mood, brilliant party atmosphere. Countdown and blasts on the ship's horn as midnight struck. We just had time to sing Auld Lang Syne, then the heavens opened. Everyone dashed for cover, we retired to our cabin about 12.30 as we had to be up early for disembarkation the next day, but the party was still in full swing around the ship up to 1.30 (when our son crawled in!) and possibly after.

Dancing on a warm Deck 17 with a glass of champagne in hand and a velvet sky studded with stars above, surrounded by beautifully dressed people really enjoying themselves, will long be a special memory.

Thanks Groovechick, that's exactly what I wanted to hear

Edited by bee-ess

Was disappointed with New Year on Azura...but spent on a beautiful ship in the middle on the Caribbean Sea was still one of the best!

Were you on Azura this New Year? If you were I seriously cannot believe what I am reading. It was an absolutely fantastic time on the ship and don't think it could have gone any better. We had an amazing time. Not sure what else you could have wanted as I know none of my New Years back home have ever been like it before and never will again.

I'm guessing something may have happened for you to feel this way and that's entirely your own business.

Yeah as I said I was on Azura, I said I was disappointed not that I didn't have a good time...nothing happened to me I just thought the menu wasn't all that and the 'special guests' were poor....

I thought apart from the word 'disappointed' the post was quite positive.

Many apologies. Disappointed and having a good time I couldn't quite understand.

As for special guests, I was very happy with Darcey Bussell. It was a P & O cruise afterall and not sure who you would be expecting to get with the price of the cruise.

I guess some people are always looking for something for nothing.

You can definitely still have a good time even if you're disappointed with some aspects, but I can definitely see how people who normally have poor New Years and stay in watching Strictly Come Dancing would love it....glad you loved it.

Can you let us know where you got such a good deal because I definitely didn't pay nothing.

You can definitely still have a good time even if you're disappointed with some aspects, but I can definitely see how people who normally have poor New Years and stay in watching Strictly Come Dancing would love it....glad you loved it.

Can you let us know where you got such a good deal because I definitely didn't pay nothing.

I think some people would be perfectly happy staying in watching Strictly at any given time. Doesn't necessarily mean their New Year is poor. Offensive to people who do such things I'm an X factor person myself. :D

In relation to prices of the cruise. Its a Cruise on P & O and I think most are familiar with all the ranges of prices. The prices certainly dont include any high end acts and I think most people wouldn't expect any except for yourself of course. Go upmarket say, to Celebrity. They may provide some of that although highly unlikely.

Does a holiday not make everyone really chilled and relaxed as that's how I'm feeling? :cool:

Thinking of a Caribbean cruise on Britannia for 30th Dec 2016. Can anyone tell me what New Years Eve is like on board - do P&O make an effort to make it a party night ?, is it formal ?, special menu in MDR ? or is it just like a normal night on board. It is the 2nd night of the cruise so I guess it would be Captain Cocktail night.

Also would anyone have any idea when the Early Saver would be available for this cruise.

We are just back off Azura. We were really looking forward to the NYE celebrations and the gala Meal in the restaurant. We were club dining 2nd sitting so had our usual time but if you are freedom you had to pick one of the two sittings. It is a formal night usually, but after 11pm you can change into something more casual.

We had Gary Barlow tribute, Freddie Tribute and the Captain and Darcey Bussell let in the new year. Overall it was good but we had some issues with our food which kinda put me in a bad mood!!!

I managed to get out of it by the time we were on top deck but it was heaving up there. They put on celebrations on top deck, planet bar and Malabar I think so something for everyone.

Still it was better than being at home :)

We all have different perceptions in life and being on holiday is no different. We had a fabulous New Year experience. We enjoyed an intimate dinner for two in Epicurean, then joined the crazy party on top deck. It was fab.

Some fellow passengers loved Amber Cove; we loathed it. Don't care if I never go to DR again. We went into Puerta Plata but found it terribly 'unloved' and slightly intimidating. Then returned to Amber Cove for the worst lunch I have been served in a very long time. However, we loved our tour of St Lucia whereas some passengers we met couldn't wait to return to the (mother)ship.

We were on Arcadia and had a great New Year as we saw the fireworks off St Lucia thank to Captain Hashmi who turned the ship round out of the wind with a great view. The entertainment was POOR and there were no poppers or streamers on deck apparently due to environmental laws.

Did you get poppers and streamers on Azura on deck for anew Year?

We have always had them on past New Year cruises.

We were on Arcadia and had a great New Year as we saw the fireworks off St Lucia thank to Captain Hashmi who turned the ship round out of the wind with a great view. The entertainment was POOR and there were no poppers or streamers on deck apparently due to environmental laws.

Yes poppers etc on Azura

Yup, poppers and fluorescent hoops.