Traveling w/infant. Reflection or Summit?

KillaFee

We just got off the Reflection in December with our (then) 7 month old and 3 year old. I liked that ship better than the Constellation (sister Summit ship) that we were on with our then 18 month old. It was easier to navigate with a stroller, the buffet area was also easier to get around with her. The staff loved her and the kids club was nice to bring her to to play for an hour or so a day. We also let her crawl around and play on the grass area on the Reflection, which she enjoyed. You'll have a great time and the staff (and most passengers) will be happy to see your little one.

Thank you for the comparison!!! Very informative!

Hi!

Four years ago we cruised to Bermuda on the Summit with our son, his wife and our 1 year old grandchild. The experience was a very good one for everyone!

We were able to grab two of those very large aft family veranda stateroom with a separate (with a door!) livingroom area and a supersize verandah. Try to get at least one of them, the corner one if possible as there is a hallway between the two doors that give access to the stateroom. A very useful place to store the stroller! The only downside was that on a M-Class ship it is impossible to connect the verandahs but we survived! On a S-Class ship, look for a larger verandah and for connecting staterooms as verandahs can be opened.

The verandah was utilized a lot: we brought outside the park'play, we installed an inflatable pool for the baby to have some fun, we order meals from room service... The floor outside is very rough and I knew that prior departure; so I packed a very inexpensive tarp to be used as the "play area" in order to avoid the baby to harm herself while playing. A very useful thing! We also bing a smaller inflatable pool ($1) that fit into the shower area for bathing easily the baby. Bring a light inexpensive pump to ease the operation of inflating those things.

Forget the whole pool area: it is a lot too noisy for a baby and plan your day otherwise.

On formal nights in order to let other passengers enjoy their evening, we ate on the balcony: it was a very wise decision as the baby was able to play in the park'play and appeared to appreciate receiving some treats from the table. Don't forget to order everything you need as you will receive only what you ordered. Eat the main course first (you can order two plates!) and then the salad or the appetizer. Believe me: lambs chops eaten with fingers are better!

We then put the baby to sleep and enjoyed all together the evening on the verandah or we stayed there alone while our son and his wife had some "time off" on the ship. Bring something that will able you to listen to the baby while sitting on the verandah.

When we had meals in the dining room, we took turns to bring the baby outside for a little while and brought her back around the table before her next "private excursion" outside. No problem at all and a lot of smiles from everyone around.

Prior departure, we had ordered baby food and everything we ordered was in a box in the stateroom. Bring everything else you need as you will not find any "baby stuff" on the ship and you cannot presume that you will find ashore what you need.

Four adults can easily take care of a baby and still find ways to have a wonderful vacation. It might look like you have to bring a lot of things but those little extras will make a HUGE difference in the comfort of everyone.

As grandparents, we would happily repeat the experience.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the very detailed review! I appreciate all of your thoughts and you have some very good points! We were JUST talking about the pool deck and how it could be problematic. I hadn't thought of that, because we live on the ocean and figured she'd prefer the beach, but my husband kindly pointed out that she'll be taking swim lessons in a pool when she's 6 months so she MIGHT want to swim when she sees a big, beautiful pool on the ship. Yikes! Luckily this ship is in port 5 out of 6 days so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I hope. Thanks again for the info! :D

Laura

Thank you to everyone who kindly responded to my question!

My husband and I were just looking at photos and features of the Summit, dining, specifically, and we are curious if there's a place to pick up a slice of pizza, or quick snack on-the-go anywhere other than the buffet?

Also, the AquaSpa Cafe Menu looks good, but is it only available to people staying in Aquaspa suites? I'm aware that it's in an adults only area, but can we just pop in and grab something or no?

Thanks!!!

Laura

Thank you to everyone who kindly responded to my question!

My husband and I were just looking at photos and features of the Summit, dining, specifically, and we are curious if there's a place to pick up a slice of pizza, or quick snack on-the-go anywhere other than the buffet?

Also, the AquaSpa Cafe Menu looks good, but is it only available to people staying in Aquaspa suites? I'm aware that it's in an adults only area, but can we just pop in and grab something or no?

Thanks!!!

Laura

The pizza is in the buffet, Cafe Al bacio has snacks, mostly pastries and cookies. Aqua Spa cafe is for anyone and if you have a child there is no problem getting food there. They just don't want people staying in there with kids.

You are obviously a responsible parent seeking advice on how to cruise comfortably with a toddler so I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

We loved the Summit for its simplicity, I have no need for climbing walls or skating rinks or even water slides as you won't either with a little one. The port intensive cruise will keep you busy and you can hunt down a nice beach easily each day.

My kids were older when we started cruising so I can't help on that front but I did fly a lot with toddlers and on many occasions with 2 and I was often alone. My trick was to have multiple zip-lock bags each containing something new and fun that could occupy for 5 to 20 minutes. The number of bags varied depending on the length of the flight. One bag might contain 3 markers and a small pad of paper. Another might have a small toy car, the next a little story book we had never read. Mini blocks made of foam kept us busy for almost an hour ;). And, then there were always some butterscotch lolly pops.

Once when bumped from a flight we were then booked in first class. My 3 year old daughter (in a loud voice) told my 4 year old son " we should always get these big seats, they give you the apple juice before we go up in the sky!"

Plan well. Enjoy your vacation.

Once when bumped from a flight we were then booked in first class. My 3 year old daughter (in a loud voice) told my 4 year old son " we should always get these big seats, they give you the apple juice before we go up in the sky!"

I agree with her! :D

In response to the question about the car seat...

We did not bring one - We booked a shuttle (to and from the airport to the port) and specifically made sure to request a car seat in it.