NCL credit card hold

305diva

It's not even the good ship. We were on the getaway, left april 09 was charge the right amount at the check out but then on the april 16 and the 17 two hold on norwegian escape ttl of both hold $19582,98. We never been on the Escape and Norwegian Miami can't find those holds. Crazy

Problem solved but not by NCL i called visa they dispute the hold, they cancelled my credit card. Waiting for a new card and those hold to be remove in a couple of days, so my credit will be back as it was before.

As I only have a Debit Card, NCL strongly suggests you not use it because it will automatically put a $300 hold on your card, and then whatever else you use your Cruise Card for onboard will be put ON TOP of that amount. they highly discourage using Debit Cards. Cash would be better or if you have a regular Credit Card.

I used Cash, We got on first thing in the morning in NYC, as soon as we got on board went online at the Purser's Desk and put down cash, done and done. So then I if I needed to put more $$ down I could, but I luckily did not need to. They ended up owing me money back!!!

If you are concerned about the hold, put down cash instead.

This is one option for sure. Or you can get a prepaid credit card. Thats what we do when we cruise. There are even a few with travel benefits built in. Mastercard has one with benefits built in. The prepaid card protects your bank account and your real credit/debit cards as well.

• 1 month later...

We have been given a cruise on the Escape (including the UBP, service charges) this summer. We don't have a lot of disposable income but I have saved and have the cash for several excursions I've booked as well as other expenses we have planned for during the cruise and necessary out of pocket tips. I do have a credit card but it only has $200 available credit (times are tight). I have already read the warnings about using debit cards for the holds they put on the room and that's out of the question since it could potentially wreck my monthly budget.

I did call NCL and asked how much they require for credit hold on room and was told $900 (3 people in room). That's not possible for me at this point.

When we show up to check in for the cruise, what will NCL do if I give them a credit card that doesn't have $300 in available funds? Will they not allow us to board? Getting a little nervous at the thought of that.

Edited by Bigperm33
Left out info

No problem, you will be allowed to board in any case. Any deposit to your cash account will be done only after boarding, the outsourced terminal staff (that sets up your onboard account(s)) does not handle money.

No problem, you will be allowed to board in any case. Any deposit to your cash account will be done only after boarding, the outsourced terminal staff (that sets up your onboard account(s)) does not handle money.

Thanks for your help!

I edited previous post to add that I called NCL and was told that $900 was required to hold on card.

All the cash I'll have on me will be earmarked for other things and I won't have much if anything to give them towards a hold on the room.

Ouch... traveling with only a few hundred dollars available on credit card. I do hope nothing happens to disrupt plans like flight issues, needto purchase something, medical needs, etc.

Okay... enough of my alarmist talk.

the only money they really want is enough to cover the daily gratuities. Other than that, just tell them you only have $100 in cash, etc.