Pre-Cruise Packing Jitters

blessedwith12

This is my 6th cruise but I get just as nervous every time as I did before my first cruise. I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive when it comes to covering my bases before cruising. My worst nightmare is arriving at the ship and I'm missing a document and I don't get to go!!

So, I'm leaving tomorrow to begin our trip from Ohio to Port Canaveral to sail on the Sunshine. I just need to be reassured that as long as I have my passport and boarding pass, I can get on the ship!! (As a backup, I have my birth certificate and driver's license). Really, if I forget anything else it doesn't matter, right?

I should be sleeping and instead I'm worrying!!

Does anyone else do this?

This is my 6th cruise... I just need to be reassured that as long as I have my passport and boarding pass, I can get on the ship!!

If you've done this successfully 5 times before, why would you need to be reassured ? Sounds like your OCD is causing you to over-do the document thing anyway (no way would most of us take our birth certificate if we had a passport)

Pee pee do do gaga moola

"P"assport "pills"/meds "d"ocuments "dr"ivers license "g"lasses "m"oney

Taught my daughter and family that they never forget anything important lol have them in your purse or carry on.

Edited by lyndamr

I am the same way. I check multiple times when I pack, before I leave for the airport, at the airport, waiting for the plane, on the plane, off the plane, at hotel, before I go to bed. Then of course when I wake up, before I leave the hotel, etc. I don't know why I am paranoid about it but I am.

We use a yellow padded thing that zips all the way around and has a zippered compartment inside as well. It's really nice and we got it for free in the mail from one of those online booking agencies many years ago. It just showed up one day. It's easy to spot and I keep it in my carry on, but for some reason I always have to check the inside zipper to make sure my Passport is still there. I also carry a copy of our BCs just in case. There is no way I would risk getting all the way there and not be able to board. I have multiple copies of our BCs and only 1 travels with us so I am not worried at all about doing that.

Humor is good! We use it in our family too with just about everything. And yes, I frequently double check my purse to make sure my passport hasn't left. :) Before we leave our house I will tell all my daughters to put their eyeballs on their passports. We also switch and have each other's driver's licenses and BC. So, if someone loses their purse, someone else has their backup. I know it seems paranoid, but like insurance, it's useless until you need it.

What a relief! I'm not the only person who checks...and rechecks...and rechecks! My husband and I vacation every year at least once or twice, and I still go over my lists multiple times, and check my bags for documents repeatedly.

But I'm like this in day-to-day life also. When I get out of my vehicle I hold onto my keys while I lock the door, then I drop them in my purse. Then I check to make sure the doors are locked. Then I check my purse to make sure my keys are still in there! I know, it's a sickness!

Just a little travelers nerves. I'm like you. I worry about everything that could go wrong from our car trip to the airport, hotel shuttle, plane, transfers you name it. Going home I'm as cool as a cucumber. I know no matter what I always find my way back. AND I always double check doc. in the car before leaving home.

I'm not typically OCD, except when it comes to trips! I overpack, repack, and constantly check to see if I have everything.

Years ago we stayed on Southbeach prior to a cruise, when we got in the room I placed our passports and money in the room safe. When we arrived at the cruise terminal I realized my blunder. Mad dash to grab a taxi and back to the hotel!

Luckily it all worked out. Made it back to the ship.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. It's always such a relief to walk into the atrium and know we made it! I'm traveling with 4 of my daughters (16-24) and I just don't want anything to go wrong.

Hello, I'm glad to see your post. I remember your review from the past and often wondered how you and your family are. I hope you and your daughters have a wonderful cruise.

I once read about a couple missing their cruise because the tote bag containing their passports was stolen from their rental car the night before the cruise. So now I take my passport with me into the ladies' room at the rest area. I physically touch the passport when I return to the car to make sure it is still there. Add me to the OCD list. :D

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

Yes, I have the same problem. I double, tripple, quadruple check my documents every cruise and still worry.

Just check them before you go to bed, and sleep well!! Check them in the morning and.... enjoy your cruise!!!

99% of the things we worry about never happens.

I agree with the checklist idea. I make a new copy of our cruise list every trip and highlight the item as it is put into the specific bag. That way I know I have everything we need. Also any important documentation such as passports, cash, and cruise documents are always put into my pocketbook, which I keep with me at all times. Have never left or needed anything yet in over 12 cruises. It helps when only one person is doing the packing also, my husband has it made lol. Once you get a set packing routine it helps to follow that same list, other than of course clothing options for different times of the year. Good Luck and I'm sure you will be fine! Happy Sailing!

I like the memory game. I don't think I'll get that out of my head any time soon.

I put all passports and documents for the family in a small pull string bag and they go wherever we go and into the safe when on the ship.

no reason for birth certs if you have a passport but remember you need to have 6 months of usage still on your passport to fly internationally.

Reading threads like this one makes me happy neither my spouse or I have any OCD issues. We normally pack the night before the cruise and only take carry-ons. Never had a problem with forgetting anything of any importance. I'm also guessing many people here laminate their luggage tags too.:)

Good luck with your obsession support group and see you on Lido!

This is my 6th cruise but I get just as nervous every time as I did before my first cruise. I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive when it comes to covering my bases before cruising. My worst nightmare is arriving at the ship and I'm missing a document and I don't get to go!!

So, I'm leaving tomorrow to begin our trip from Ohio to Port Canaveral to sail on the Sunshine. I just need to be reassured that as long as I have my passport and boarding pass, I can get on the ship!! (As a backup, I have my birth certificate and driver's license). Really, if I forget anything else it doesn't matter, right?

I should be sleeping and instead I'm worrying!!

Does anyone else do this?

Just remember to have your passport, boarding pass and or birth certificate and driver's license in your carry on bag. Do not put them in the luggage that you give to the porter. Also add your room tags to your luggage.

Have a great trip.:D

Reading threads like this one makes me happy neither my spouse or I have any OCD issues. We normally pack the night before the cruise and only take carry-ons. Never had a problem with forgetting anything of any importance. I'm also guessing many people here laminate their luggage tags too.:)

No, we buy luggage tag holders :D. Mine say, "Live, love, cruise" and make me smile every time I get to use them.

Only when DH comes with do I check bags. But even then no we don't laminate them. When I go by myself I only travel with a carry on and my under the seat case.

Reading threads like this one makes me happy neither my spouse or I have any OCD issues.

Boy you can say that again. My Mom is a worry wort in her old age and frets and obsesses over everything. Terrible quality of life situation. The sad thing is (as another poster mentioned), 99% of the stuff people worry over will never happen. Like you, so glad not to be in that group. :D