Dinner attire

GEDANNY

What ever you want, as long as it isn't worn, dirty, or tattered, and most times not shorts.

Otherwise, you're good to go.

We are cruising on Celebrity for the first time Feb.21st,Western Caribbean. We have cruised in the past on other lines. What is the proper attire in the MDR for dinner? I understand dress slacks and dress shirts are ok for men. However are dresses required for ladies? Also I understand there is no more "formal nights" and they have been replaced by dress jeans or something like that?

On Eclipse last week the dress was ALL over the map. I certainly would not use the term "most people" wore this or that - it was truly a crapshoot. I will say I saw very few tuxedos. While I do watch and admire the very well dressed I don't get in a lather about being amongst others who could have done better. Wear what makes you feel good. Out of 5 nights, I wore a jacket on three, a suit on one and shirtsleeves on another - my wife wore dresses most nights. Some may find that a bit too fussy - others may scoff at my lack of tie with the suit I wore. Who cares? We felt great - and thats what a vacation (that you paid your own money for) is all about.

Celebrity is currently one of our favourite cruise lines.

We have not packed formal clothes on any cruise ship for quite some time. One reason we like Celebrity is because there are good alternate dining options on formal nights that do not require us to dress up.

We have not been on Celebrity since the new format came into pla. For us it will not make any difference.

We see more and more people going casual on cruises for various reasons. I suspect that it is demographics more than anything else. We are usually so busy having a good time that we really do not pay much attention to, or care, what others happen to be wearing. Either in the MDR or the alternative dining venues.

Just back from EQ...

For chic night: fewer tuxes but lots of gowns, fancy dresses, pantsuits, sparkly tops for ladies..jackets and ties, dress shirts for men...everyone really looked great and very chic..elegantly modern. There were a number of young couples who met on board and were excellent ballroom dancers .the ladies all had great outfits...so much fun to watch..

The children on board were dressed in their party best...so adorabe and well behaved!

Smart Casual...also nice outfits..many Tommy Bahama type shirts for men, tropical look for ladies. Overall a well dressed crowd...and as expected much more casual in the buffet at night

Daytime dress.seemed typical a cruise wear, few "wifebeater " shirts and a handful of room bathrobes at the pool.

A few sloppy exceptions, one woman in over ripped jeans, a male who wore a backwards hat whever he went, inside outside etc..and a few young women toppling along in designer high heels and handbags, with very brief tops, and short shorts we used to call hotpants. They looked like streetwalkers. Not sure if they were let into the dining rooms?...

Overall, there did appear to be a fresher look on board. Definitely not a dress down crowd!

Edited by hcat

I saw someone mentioned "no capris". Does this mean nicer longer-length capris with dressy top and dressy sandals are not allowed for women? This would be for non-chic nights.

They seem fine...but dressy ones prevailed!