Would you be disappointed in Quantum if ...

You thought you were going on a Celebrity cruise?

I know that Royal Cruisers have been programmed to expect some sort of wow factor, especially after Oasis class came out.

But think back to the Radiance Class and the days of more elegant RC cruising.

I've heard Quantum class compares to Celebrity Solstice class.

So, if you thought about this as a Solstice or Radiance cruise going in, would you be disappointed?

I loved Allure and it was my favorite ship.

But Serenade was one of the best cruises that I've ever been on.

It didn't have all of the bells and whistles. No promenade, only a few specialty restaurants at the time.

Broadway shows were not rolled out back then.

And we still had a blast!

Have we just been spoiled?

We're going out of NJ on Anthem. I was really trying to get a feel for if people were disappointed because they had expectations of either a WOW family cruise ship like Oasis class.

Most reviews suggest that the Anthem is a beautiful ship.

So that being the case, besides the fact that it's bigger, why does it fall short of say Solstice or of Radiance class?

We're going out of NJ on Anthem. I was really trying to get a feel for if people were disappointed because they had expectations of either a WOW family cruise ship like Oasis class.

So that being the case, besides the fact that it's bigger, why does it fall short of say Solstice or of Radiance class?

For me Radiance Class falls WAAAY short of Quantum.

We've sailed Anthem and S-class, and Anthem is an S-class ship on steroids (in a good way). Just stunningly beautiful. We would sail on her again. I would say, though, that Anthem is more "frenetic" than S-class -- so many things need to be reserved, so much to juggle. Those aren't necessarily bad things, but it's a very different sort of cruise.

These thoughts reinforce my understanding that the issues that people have aren't with the ship, but with the implementation of the reservation technology and process.

It isn't expressed in this thread, but a change of staff/re-training of staff and some growing pains to be overcome, and this could become a successful cruise.

I wish RC would pay attention to this.

There are just too many comments out there that elude to staff/crew over-worked, or possibly not properly trained or some who are in the wrong line of work.

In the end, that had to lay on the shoulders of the person responsible for hotel operations.

The good news - if this is true, is that these things can be fixed.

Guest maddycat
These thoughts reinforce my understanding that the issues that people have aren't with the ship, but with the implementation of the reservation technology and process.

It isn't expressed in this thread, but a change of staff/re-training of staff and some growing pains to be overcome, and this could become a successful cruise.

I wish RC would pay attention to this.

There are just too many comments out there that elude to staff/crew over-worked, or possibly not properly trained or some who are in the wrong line of work.

In the end, that had to lay on the shoulders of the person responsible for hotel operations.

The good news - if this is true, is that these things can be fixed.

Yes these things can be fixed. But management must first recognize that there are problems and then correct the problems.

Agree Maddy! But I think that a lot of people have the impression that the ship has a lot of issues. It seems that the crew has a lot of issues.

I'm also wondering about the experience of those that don't go crazy planning everything.

What if we take the stress out of the vacation by eliminating some of that scheduling?

Agree Maddy! But I think that a lot of people have the impression that the ship has a lot of issues. It seems that the crew has a lot of issues.

I'm also wondering about the experience of those that don't go crazy planning everything.

What if we take the stress out of the vacation by eliminating some of that scheduling?

I'm not going on Anthem until 9/8, but i'm not going to go crazy planning stuff. I'll book the 3 main shows in advance, maybe ifly/northstar. And i book shore excursions if i want them. That will take me maybe 10 mins online. What else do i need to plan or reserve? I'm going solo, i have dynamic choice - not making reservations, i'll just wing it. Easy peasy. done.

I'm considering the same, but it may bug me if I want to get into a restaurant and can't.

Yeah you'd have to be flexible. I'm on my own so i don't need to worry about anyone else, and i think i can probably eat where i want since its just me. If not, though, i'm totally fine with trying a different place. I just can't imagine knowing /planning where i'm going to eat months ahead of time.

I'm not going on Anthem until 9/8, but i'm not going to go crazy planning stuff. I'll book the 3 main shows in advance, maybe ifly/northstar. And i book shore excursions if i want them. That will take me maybe 10 mins online. What else do i need to plan or reserve? I'm going solo, i have dynamic choice - not making reservations, i'll just wing it. Easy peasy. done.

I probably spent all of 20 minutes online before our cruise. I booked dinner every night at around 6:30, just to make sure we had somewhere to eat that didn't conflict with shows, booked the 3 shows, iFly, and NorthStar. We ended up canceling a couple of those reservations when we realized we wanted to wing it that night.

Our only regret is that we didn't book Wonderland, as by the time we figured out that we wanted to try it, it was completely sold out.

As for comparing Radiance vs Quantum class, crew aside, I think the "vibe" was different. To me, the Radiance ships ooze calm and elegance and so much glass!

I felt the Anthem was a bit glitzier, a bit more Vegas (but fancy Vegas), a bit edgier.

The art on the Radiance, while still contemporary, was more classical in material and subject (think the metal noses on the Jewel), whereas the Anthem had fun, whimsical pictures of animals dressed up in human clothes in the elevators.