switch from DCL Fantasy to FOS? Opinions?

Hi,

I am booked on DCL Fantasy for an Eastern Car. I booked DCL bc the port is a good location for us and it is the only cruise line we have done. (3x on Magic with kids.) This is a cruise for just DH and I though.

I can book the FOS for the same time frame and same itinerary except St Maarten would replace Tortola.

For some reason, I have been afraid that other cruiselines are cheesy or booze- cruises... Not sure why. I think I am picturing Carnival Spring Break cruises for everything, which is apparently not accurate. Disney is known for its great service. How would FOS compare? I don't want to have to fight for a deck chair, just so you know. I also havent experienced DCL's new adult areas on Fantasy, which is why I booked it.

Since it is just DH and I, I am interested in the adult pool areas of FOS, and the My Time and Specialty Dining. I could book a verandah room, and add Specialty dining (3 night package) and drink package (plus include prepaid gratuities and travel insurance) for the same as just the verandah room on Fantasy. (we are not heavy drinkers but DH will drink 3-4 beers/ night and I will have 2 glasses of wine. We don't care about Soda much but I do love bottled water.)

One last thing: No way will I get DH to the Disney Musicals. I do enjoy them when I go with my kids but that is torture for DH. We both would like a Cirque like show. How are the shows on FOS?

Thanks so much.

I can book a Verandah room

Edited by TravelingCircusof5

Regarding deck chairs, if you want a lounger around the pools, and you start looking at 10am on a sunny sea day, you are not likely to find many (if any) on Freedom. If you don't care about being near the pools, then you will have better luck on deck 12 (one above the pool deck).

Regarding deck chairs, if you want a lounger around the pools, and you start looking at 10am on a sunny sea day, you are not likely to find many (if any) on Freedom. If you don't care about being near the pools, then you will have better luck on deck 12 (one above the pool deck).

WHat about in the Solarium? Are they all taken early in there too?

My one complaint about the FOS was that it seemed while have a lot more people than one of the Voyager class ships, the pool areas were the same size and the solarium actually felt smaller (just the way it was set up.) It was the first cruise that I ever had a problem finding just 1 seat in the shade.

My one complaint about the FOS was that it seemed while have a lot more people than one of the Voyager class ships, the pool areas were the same size and the solarium actually felt smaller (just the way it was set up.) It was the first cruise that I ever had a problem finding just 1 seat in the shade.

That's true, Freedom class generally has about 500 more guests than Voyager class. The main pool area is the same size, but Freedom does have the H2O zone, which should move some of the families with small children away from the main pool. I felt the Solarium area on Freedom class had more lounge chair area, because the space normally taken by the hot tubs on Voyager class is open on Freedom class since the hot tubs were moved to the side (cantilever) of the ship.

Edited by clarea

We love Royal. We only cruise Disney with our son. The disney shows are fun, but we don't want to go to them without him. I think both cruise lines have chair hogs. We can always find a chair on Royal - but we aren't sun folks so there are usually chairs in the shade on various decks. I don't think Disney is going to solve that for you.

We love the non-Disney shows - things like Comedians, honeymooner show, etc etc. Things we couldn't attend with our son because they are too late or adult focused.

I don't find Royal to be party central.

Both lines have good & bad. But I wouldn't hesitate to try other lines. part of the fun of cruising is trying all the different cruise ships and the different activities they offer.

TravelingCircusof5, For what its worth....we did the Fantasy in early December 2012, also eastern. Just me and my wife. The cruise was very good, lots of Disney characters everywhere. You know the drill from being on the Magic three times. And we are Disney people ( our DVC points paid for the cruise), but while on the Fantasy we were actually looking forward to our next cruise which was the Jewel OTS ( Royal Carib). The Freedom may have that change you are looking for, trying a new ship , a new cruise line. I think you will like the Freedom.

The adult area on the Fantasy was good. I recall the adult areas being more in the forward section of the ship...bars, lounges, and away from the kids. You will not have the rotational dining like Disney.

I know life has tough choices but someone has to do it !!!!

That's true, Freedom class generally has about 500 more guests than Voyager class. The main pool area is the same size, but Freedom does have the H2O zone, which should move some of the families with small children away from the main pool. I felt the Solarium area on Freedom class had more lounge chair area, because the space normally taken by the hot tubs on Voyager class is open on Freedom class since the hot tubs were moved to the side (cantilever) of the ship.

I cruised in early February and there was big, older group that was part of a private event. So I think that might have been the difference - there were almost no kids/families on the ship, so everyone was at the main pool or in the solarium.

Since it is just DH and I, I am interested in the adult pool areas of FOS,

I love the adult solarium area on Freedom. Regarding chairs by the pool, I love the chairs in the pool.

solariumday1.jpg

I have never done Disney, but I think you will like this ship.

I've been on the Magic years ago, RCI (Liberty) and Celebrity Lines. Just my opinion, but if we were to do a couples cruise we would look elsewhere than Disney and possibly even RCI. As a couple, we prefer more luxury, better food, romance and a connection to the sea, so we might choose Celebrity or better. That said, we like RCI and you can find many of these things on RCI's newer ships with their specialty restaurants, although I think you lose out on "connection to the sea" since the newer ships have promenades, etc. However, I think you need to try something different than Disney this time, or you never will.

What is the price differential? If Freedom is cheaper, you might think of using the savings to upgrade to a suite. A suite on RCI (Junior or higher) or Celebrity will get you many perks.

By the way, RCI is more geared for active couples, I think. The shows are awesome on Freedom and on the Oasis class ships (which we love.) If you don't care about shows, Celebrity has better food, service and ambiance (in general.)

The above is just my opinion and others may have had different experiences. Our Disney cruise was not good (Service okay and loved the ship and cabin. Food,not good in our opinion and price, outrageous.)

Try something new. You'll never know unless you do.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great cruise.

Koohiichan

I've been on the Magic years ago, RCI (Liberty) and Celebrity Lines. Just my opinion, but if we were to do a couples cruise we would look elsewhere than Disney and possibly even RCI. As a couple, we prefer more luxury, better food, romance and a connection to the sea, so we might choose Celebrity or better. That said, we like RCI and you can find many of these things on RCI's newer ships with their specialty restaurants, although I think you lose out on "connection to the sea" since the newer ships have promenades, etc. However, I think you need to try something different than Disney this time, or you never will.

What is the price differential? If Freedom is cheaper, you might think of using the savings to upgrade to a suite. A suite on RCI (Junior or higher) or Celebrity will get you many perks.

By the way, RCI is more geared for active couples, I think. The shows are awesome on Freedom and on the Oasis class ships (which we love.) If you don't care about shows, Celebrity has better food, service and ambiance (in general.)

The above is just my opinion and others may have had different experiences. Our Disney cruise was not good (Service okay and loved the ship and cabin. Food,not good in our opinion and price, outrageous.)

Try something new. You'll never know unless you do.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great cruise.

Koohiichan

Celebrity was my first thought, but I can find almost no cruises with them in Late April and May from Florida. Seemed weird to me... I searched their site on 2 separate occasions. DH is a CPA so this is a post Tax season cruise, and the only Caribbean ones I could find on Celebrity were April 2 and 3.

Let me know if I did something wrong bc that is who I wanted to try

Celebrity was my first thought, but I can find almost no cruises with them in Late April and May from Florida. Seemed weird to me... I searched their site on 2 separate occasions. DH is a CPA so this is a post Tax season cruise, and the only Caribbean ones I could find on Celebrity were April 2 and 3.

Let me know if I did something wrong bc that is who I wanted to try

That is probably the one thing that keeps me from tying Celebrity. We like to cruise the Caribbean on our anniversary and they pull out of the area around this time each year (earlier the last couple of years)