Is NCL their own worst enemy?

scottann92

One of he restaurant managers on the Jade told us people double-book every night and then decide where they want to go each evening. It annoyed me that people would do that, because it may be "playing the game" but it's harming other passengers' ability to dine when they want.

He did say they do keep tables open for walk-ups, so we'll see what happens on our February cruise, because we don't have something booked every night.

This forum and the complaints that you reference are the minority. Most people I speak to on the cruises have a wonderful time and don't complain about anything. I've never had trouble getting reservation nor trouble waiting for a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity when did you last cruise ?

One of he restaurant managers on the Jade told us people double-book every night and then decide where they want to go each evening. It annoyed me that people would do that, because it may be "playing the game" but it's harming other passengers' ability to dine when they want.

He did say they do keep tables open for walk-ups, so we'll see what happens on our February cruise, because we don't have something booked every night.

It should not be a major IT fix to allow, for example, only three bookings if you have a three-meal package. This would eliminate the 'book everywhere and decide later' approach. Mind you, this is NCL IT we are taking about...

Some people get extra perks at no additional cost and yet they still want to complain. :rolleyes:

You think these perks come at no additional cost? A 7 day Alaska cruise in a forward penthouse is several thousand dollars more than our 9 day was in May 2015. I think I can buy a couple drink packages and dining packages for less than $3000.

NCL used to give us a choice if we wanted beverage and or dining packages. Now they bake them into the price and we no longer have that choice.

I would ask you to take off your rose colored glasses but if you choose to be blinded from reality it is probably just as well since there is no control over this unless everyone stopped cruising NCL. That is not going to happen and their awful marketing scam is not a deal breaker for us at this time. Once it is, we will take our business elsewhere.

Edited by kdzkatz

I really wish NCL would eliminate the SDP or UDP as a freebee. It's totally changed the way you cruise, and taken away the Freestyle aspect of NCL. Part of the beauty of the set up was that you could decide what you feel like eating that day and what time you feel like eating and do that. If you slept until 11:00 on a sea day and had lunch at 2:00, your 6:00 dinner reservation is pretty much a waste.

Judging by how often there are lots of empty tables in the restaurants, I wonder how many groups with the SDP/UDP book several options for each night and refine it as the week goes along, locking up tables until the 24 hour cancellation period. I know one group who did this and when I asked why they would do that, they said "we know how to play the game". I clearly don't know how to play the game, but perhaps many others do.

When you board in the first group, and go to the Concierge to book a restaurant for that night and are told you that you can only have 5:30 or 9:00 for the entire week's meals, I think there's a problem with that, especially when same Concierge, same ship two months earlier, we either walked into wherever we wanted to go, or called them up a couple of hours ahead.

New people who don't come here and don't know to book the day that the reservations are available online are annoyed onboard when their package is all but useless, but if you are a seasoned NCL cruiser who hasn't cruised in the last year, you also don't know that the situation has totally changed.

I TOTALLY agree with you about the dining perk ruining the specialty experience. We purchased the UDP in 2014. The food was AMAZING and we never had a hard time getting a table. Last May when the "freebie" UDP's were rampant the food was good but a BIG drop-off compared to the year before. Everything also showed booked up just about every time slot.

Since we have not eaten in the MDR since 2013 NCL is making is much easier for us to re explore it again. I'm not optimistic about their a la carte program either. I have yet to see a change in the last year or so that wasn't completely in favor of NCL and at the expense of the passengers (with the exception of them offering the Asian specialty as inclusive).

With NCL raising their rates I will more than likely raise my expectations. I certainly hope they will be able to deliver.

NCL biggest enemy are the professional complainers who think that is they post a long enough post, make an extensive list of 'demands', write email directly to the CEO, and usually have a signature here that takes up three times the amount of screen space as their post and thinking that makes them better than anyone else here. THEY are the biggest enemy to NCL...

Thanks! Someone had mentioned that would work, and having a party of four at Le Bistro (at least) gives many more time options than a party of three. I'm not sure why, since a party of three takes up a four-top, anyway.

Back from the breakaway Christmas cruise. I was solo and booked Le Bistro and Ocean Blue in advance for 2 because there was no option for 1. Once on board went right to were they were taking new reservations. They adjusted ocean blue for me and they didn't want to move my Le bistro in case it was lost in the change to someone else (similar to what you hear about changing cabins and then the original booking is lost). They just noted it in my reservation and then refunded me the amount I prepaid for the second person that night to my onboard account. Which was more than I expected them to do.

Also regarding IT couldn't they just make it that you can't double book. I have heard it stops you from booking a show and a dinner too close so shouldn't it be able to do the same if someone has Le bistro at 7 and tries to book Moderno for the same day at 7:30 it should be able to block that.

Edited by queenschick9b

NCL biggest enemy are the professional complainers who think that is they post a long enough post, make an extensive list of 'demands', write email directly to the CEO, and usually have a signature here that takes up three times the amount of screen space as their post and thinking that makes them better than anyone else here. THEY are the biggest enemy to NCL...

Uh-huh. Tell us another one:). Fact is if there were one cow plop in a field NCL would find a way to step in it. They've made a lot of rookie mistakes in the past year and there are a lot of things that need to be addressed if Del Rio's vision is to be realized.

You think these perks come at no additional cost? A 7 day Alaska cruise in a forward penthouse is several thousand dollars more than our 9 day was in May 2015.

And the 7-day BA Haven I just booked is thousands of dollars *less* than any time I've seen it available in over two years.

One example either way doesn't indicate how much the prices are changing overall. There is no doubt that the perks are folded in to the total cost, but there are still great deals to be found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:( Pretty sad when people don't take the time to enjoy the beauty of their surroundings when cruising because they are so caught up in their devices...

When Wifi and cell service is finally made fast and reliable I will give up cruising completely...

There will be no safe refuge left...

So true !!!

You go on vacation to get away from all the stress and committment you have back home.

Same goes for "being availalbe 24/7"

The drink package is what attracted me to NCL...and what made me choose a cruise over an all inclusive.

NCL's price point is higher than other lines, but the perks they offer help to justify this. When I was pricing NCL cruises against other cruise lines and against all inclusives.... an NCL cruise with UBP was a no brainer.

I am EXACTLY like this.

I used to snub cruising and do AI resorts for the booze.

Now with the UBP, I like the changing scenery that the cruise offers.

We are loyal NCL fans and love UBP.

Uh-huh. Tell us another one:). Fact is if there were one cow plop in a field NCL would find a way to step in it. They've made a lot of rookie mistakes in the past year and there are a lot of things that need to be addressed if Del Rio's vision is to be realized.

To many mistakes for us to return at this time. :(

I have cruised Breakaway twice since October. Both cruises were within the time frame of the heavy promotion of the free beverage, dining, wifi, etc.

I didn't book dining in advance, and had no problem getting reservations for any night. I ate at Cagney's twice, Teppanyaki once, and La Cuchina once. I stayed in the Haven, but didn't use the concierge to get the reservations, just did it on my in room tv each time. Ate at 6pm, 8pm, 9pm....no problem with any of those times. I was flexible if a time slot showed full, but was always able to get a reservation.

I purchased the unlimited WiFi package. My cruises tend to be working vacations and I LOVE the unlimited option. It saves me a fortune. There was only one time on each cruise that I had a problem connecting and in both cases it wasn't a long outage. Connection times are still relatively slow compared to what we expect at home or work, but fast enough to get the things I need to do done.

I believe NCL has done a tremendous job using the promotions, and passengers are getting benefits they previously had to pay $$$$ for. There may be some times where things get overwhelming at the bar or restaurants, but I haven't experienced a problem.

Not sure you are getting benefits that you previously paid for. Last year we paid 749.00 with UBP on the Epic.

This year 999.00 for the Escape during low ( hurricane season). So we are paying 500.00 more to get the UBP and SDP.

Bottom line is 4 Speciality Rest. = 500.00 so we as consumers are paying for it. Not complaining as it's still a good deal but like most things it is not FREE!

"far" less?

Please stop teasing us... who?

My October cruise is $800 less than what NCL had to offer. (And when I looked at a 2017 cruise NCL was almost twice what CCL cost.)

Edited by sparks1093

Sparks1093

Just curious does your CCL cruise include any drinks/specialty dinners? I budget 125.00 a day for drinks, and even as we get older and don't drink nearly as much, we do come pretty close. And with the cost of beverage packages for cruiselines that would make the 800.00 difference a wash!