Great Bay chair rentals

doones2

We have been to St Maarten many times and have been to different beaches. We have never been to Great Bay but this time have decided to stay close to the ship and do some shopping, eating, drinking, and relaxing on the beach. My question. Which place is the best to rent chairs and umbrellas? Is it like Orient Beach, where the colored umbrellas are associated with a certain restaurant. Do some have specials if you rent from them. Free drinks maybe? Thanks in advance for any info.

We have been to St Maarten many times and have been to different beaches. We have never been to Great Bay but this time have decided to stay close to the ship and do some shopping, eating, drinking, and relaxing on the beach. My question. Which place is the best to rent chairs and umbrellas? Is it like Orient Beach, where the colored umbrellas are associated with a certain restaurant. Do some have specials if you rent from them. Free drinks maybe? Thanks in advance for any info.

We have taken the water taxi over to Great Bay many times and have had the beach to ourselves as everyone goes to Orient. The beach chairs are indeed color coordinated with certain bars/restaurants, but they are all similarly priced. No free drinks that I am aware of, but the beers are cheap.

We have taken the water taxi over to Great Bay many times and have had the beach to ourselves as everyone goes to Orient. The beach chairs are indeed color coordinated with certain bars/restaurants, but they are all similarly priced. No free drinks that I am aware of, but the beers are cheap.

Great Bay beach is not that popular due to the ongoing pollution issues there.

It is all negotiable. Supply and demand can change the price as can the promise to buy drinks and lunch. As to the pollution, we have little concern about Great Bay unless there have been recent rain storms.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

It is all negotiable. Supply and demand can change the price as can the promise to buy drinks and lunch. As to the pollution, we have little concern about Great Bay unless there have been recent rain storms.

Hank

So, just for the record, do you swim there?

gary

Hank

That's difficult for cruisers in particular to now isn't it? Looking a weather forecast for St. Maarten isn't terribly helpful as rain is often in the forecast and it doesn't say if it's a light rain for a few minutes or a torrential downpour for 2 hours. Not worth the gamble to me.

Have never read any documentation of swimmers getting ill. My family and I have been at this beach 5 times with no issue's.

The locals swim elsewhere and they are the ones that would report to the health unit/doctors office if they got ill from swimming there. The cruise company's won't post anything as they spend lots of money in the port areas trying to keep the money folks are spending. In St. Maarten it's shopping using there shopping persons advice, recommendation and coupons and in other places like Ketchican Alaska they own pretty much all the shopping stores and in Jamaica RCL made there own port area much like the plans for St. Maarten.

When people get sick on a Caribbean island they usually blame the food/water or too much sun or too much alcohol. I have never heard any one say hmm I wonder if I could have gotten this sickness from that beach I was swimming at.

Edited by Karysa

We walked over from the pier and got some chairs just beyond the mid point of the beach. We did not haggle, two chairs, umbrella, two waters for 20.00.:)

Big beautiful beach, the crowds thin out the further you walk away from the cruise pier.