Drinking age in Europe

Higgy64

Hi all,

Looking to book for a med cruise in August but this time taking my 20 year old son with us.

I realise that in the US the legal drinking age is 21 - is this still the case on a cruise in European waters that doesn't visit a US port ?

Hi all,

Looking to book for a med cruise in August but this time taking my 20 year old son with us.

I realise that in the US the legal drinking age is 21 - is this still the case on a cruise in European waters that doesn't visit a US port ?

Hi

Official drinking age on any celebrity cruise is 21 - however if the cruise is in Europe you can sign a waiver for a 18 to 20 year to drink alcohol

Also off the ship the legal drinking age in Europe is 18 (16 in a couple of countries) so no need to worry on shore.

Just google celebrity drinking age Europe and you should see the link straight to the waiver page on their website

Edited by barneymag

We cruised regularly with our son between the ages of 18 and 21.

In Europe and Asia he automatically received an adults pass, in the Caribbean the 'junior' one. Unless things have changed in the last two or three years I think you will find this is still the case. We always found it amusing he could gamble and marry but not have a beer! It was never an issue.

Ironically, just after his 21st birthday, with an adult pass, he went to order drinks on a RCCL ship and was refused and asked for ID! We intervened and explained we had already shown passport with proof of age and that he would not have been given an adult pass if he was not of age! We were not cross will the bar steward, it was summertime and perhaps some younger people were pushing boundaries.

Hi Higgy64, we hope you enjoy a few beers with your son on your Med cruise!

We were on an Asia cruise the first time our son was over 18. He went to the bar and ordered me my favourite brandy and my husband his favourite scotch (both doubles) and a beer for himself. He returned to our table presenting the drinks and thanking us for taking him to such amazing places.....It was a few days before we told him that all drinks were charged to his Dad's card....

Family holiday memories, priceless!

Have an amazing time!

Great thanks folks. We are from UK so he wouldn't be happy if he couldn't have the odd beer on holiday yet he can at home :)

We are on the reflection on August 8th doing the med for our sons 18th birthday. His request was for anywhere he can drink legally (our drinking age is 19). Europe it was! We have already booked and both kids (also have a 20 year old daughter) have the premium drink package on their reservation, so all is good! What cruise are you on??

When we cruised in Europe, boarding in Venice, both of my young people received adult cards (at age 18 and 20) and could order whatever they wanted. We never signed anything.

When we boarded last week on Silhouette in Ft Lauderdale, my 20 yr old son and his 18 yr old GF received adult cards as well. We heard some someone later that they should not have. We never brought it up.

Both of them had non-alcohol packages and made good use of them. One evening, as my son ordered another virgin strawberry daiquiri, the waitress asked if he wouldn't like to try a regular one. He responded, "sure!" She then apparently thought and said, "you are 21 or older, aren't you?" To which I replied, "And that is the problem. " We all laughed, she realized why he was ordering what he was, and we continued as usual. He commented that he couldn't wait until the next family cruise, when he was finally legal in the US.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We did the Baltic cruise last year with my daughter who had just turned 18. While in London before the cruise, we went to dinner and she asked if she could order a drink. She got a very fruity frozen drink and declared it was delicious. Not long after that, we walked back to the hotel and she declared she didn't feel so good. Threw up at the hotel and declared never again! She wasn't tempted in the least bit after that!

Hi all,

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18.

Thank you Celebrity.

It seems some TAs are confused. One has told me that under 21 cannot drink at all, another that they can drink bet and wine but not spirits.

It's good to hear it from the horses mouth - thank you