Oceania air from Lisbon

muth cruiser

On May 28th our cruise from New York ends in Lisbon. I would like to hear how other people get back to US from their transAtlantic cruises.

To book one way air from Europe cost more than a round trip ticket. Last year when we flew home from Nice I bought round trip tickets and just forfeited the flight back to Nice. That cost over $1600 per person.

To do a return only flight Oceania is charging us $275. This just sounds to good to be true. Does anyone know what airline Oceania offers? Has anyone experienced a flight home from Lisbon?

To do a return only flight Oceania is charging us $275. This just sounds to good to be true. Does anyone know what airline Oceania offers? Has anyone experienced a flight home from Lisbon?

Is this an upcharge for a specific airline or a non gateway airport ??

Where are you flying to ?

Is this an upcharge for a specific airline or a non gateway airport ??

Where are you flying to ?

$275 is the price from Lisbon to Detroit. Hard to believe, but that was what I was quoted and it is the amount on my confirmation.

Since I have not made my final payment I have no idea what airline it is on or the time. That is why I am asking about other peoples' experience flying from Lisbon to US.

$275 is the price from Lisbon to Detroit. Hard to believe, but that was what I was quoted and it is the amount on my confirmation.

Since I have not made my final payment I have no idea what airline it is on or the time. That is why I am asking about other peoples' experience flying from Lisbon to US.

Sounds like the $275 is the credit you got for not taking the air and if you change your mind and take the Oceania Air, they will remove the credit. Thought air is included in all Oceania cruises.

If the above is correct, you cannot relate the amount of the credit to the actual cost for the ticket. Also, Oceania has contracts with the airlines for flights and at times use consolidator tickets which are less than the regular airline prices.

Believe O only uses scheduled airlines and not charters for the most part. You won't find out who or when you are flying until 75 days prior to your cruise. You can deviate if you choose by paying $175 deviation fee that is non-refundable and depending on the flight you choose there may be an additional upcharge. You don't pay the deviation fee unless or until you agree with the flights so it is no cost unless you agree.

Hopefully you are working with a TA who should be able to work with you on this and if you booked direct, contact your representative and they should be able to explain and work this for you.

They are charging you $275 or you are getting a credit of $275?

Are you staying in Lisbon after the cruise ?

If you are only doing one way it could be an air credit for the outbound flights Eg: DTW to NYC

How are you getting to NYC for embarkation?

On your invoice what is next to the charge ?

You might want to clarify the amount with your TA or Oceania

something does not sound right.... but who knows

Also some TA's automatically ad insurance & transfers unless you tell them otherwise...just a thought

Edited by LHT28

We received the full credit for air which was $550, therefore half would be $275 for one way only. We are using miles to fly to Lima (we're on Lima to Lisbon), then continuing on from Lisbon to London. We received the full air credit of $1100, since we again used miles to fly home from London. The difference in air credit is hard to explain since it doesn't cost twice as much to make those flights.

If you are only doing one way it could be an air credit for the outbound flights Eg: DTW to NYC

Also some TA's automatically ad insurance & transfers unless you tell them otherwise...just a thought

I just looked at my statement from Oceania. We book our own domestic air and I am not coming back after the cruise so I got an air allowance of $550. My husband only needed air for the return trip so he got an air allowance of $275 and it states he will have air from Lisbon to Detroit.

We received the full credit for air which was $550, therefore half would be $275 for one way only. We are using miles to fly to Lima (we're on Lima to Lisbon), then continuing on from Lisbon to London. We received the full air credit of $1100, since we again used miles to fly home from London. The difference in air credit is hard to explain since it doesn't cost twice as much to make those flights.

Your $ amounts match mine. I am also on the Lisbon to London cruise and I got an air credit for $550 and a flight from London to Detroit for the remaining $550.

Edited by muth cruiser

My husband got an air credit of $275 for the flight to New York. We are using FF miles for that part of the trip. I am on the cruise from Lisbon to London so I did not need air from Lisbon to Detroit so I got an air credit of $550. The difference is $275 so that is what I calculate my husband's air fare to be from Lisbon to Detroit.

I'm staying in Lisbon for 10 days and then taking the cruise from Lisbon to London and using 1/2 the air from that cruise to get home.

Edited by muth cruiser

I'm staying in Lisbon for 10 days and then taking the cruise from Lisbon to London and using 1/2 the air from that cruise to get home.

I guess there are a few of us who are spending the time between the cruises in Portugal or nearby. We'll be going to Porto for 6 days then returning to Lisbon for the remainder of the time. Hope to meet up with you somewhere between New York and Lisbon.

My husband got an air credit of $275 for the flight to New York. We are using FF miles for that part of the trip. I am on the cruise from Lisbon to London so I did not need air from Lisbon to Detroit so I got an air credit of $550. The difference is $275 so that is what I calculate my husband's air fare to be from Lisbon to Detroit.

Makes a bit more sense now

Flights will rarely cost the same as the air credit

For what it's worth - I posted this information on the roll call for the NYC-Lisbon cruise. Our home airport is a non-gateway city so if we use O's air, it always costs us $199/pp (assuming round trip). I nearly always do my own air so that we can leave and return when we want on our preferred airline/routing.

However, the round trip from our home airport to NY - followed by the return from Lisbon couldn't be purchased for less than $1500/pp at the time! The air credit of $550 plus saving the $199/pp wouldn't even have come close (and no, we don't have any miles to use this time).

So, for an upcharge of $350 for the deviation fee, we fly from our home airport, return from Lisbon to Newark non-stop on TAP then a decent connection to our home airport. I picked out the exact flights I wanted and my TA got it done.

First time in a long time that the O air credit was so vastly different than the going rate to purchase the same flights.

I wanted to let everyone that replied to my original post that I got the flight I wanted from Oceania with no additional charge.

Oceania offered the flight from Lisbon to Detroit for $275. I did extend the stay for 2 days in Lisbon so there was an additional charge of $175. I researched available flights and found one on AA from Lis to Phl to Dtw at a good time. I asked for that flight and got it for the price quoted.

I will definitely use Oceania air for all future one way Trips home from Europe.