Car hire Los Angeles Cruise Terminal

josusy

we are arriving at the Cruise Terminal on the morning of Sunday the 13 March via NCL. Having trouble finding a car hire co., as the only two companies we can find who seem to serve the port are Enterprise and Hertz, both of them are closed on Sunday's . We wish to hire a car to drive up to San Fransisco and wish to drop of the car at the airport. any ideas? would be very grateful. Helen & Philip - England

I don't know about LA, but for example in Miami we always rent a car from the airport, there are plenty of ways for one to get to the airport after the cruise and car rental facilities (and selections) are always much better than at downtown locations.

Edited by Demonyte

I checked the Port of Los Angeles' website and it does say Hertz and Enterprise are closed on Sundays. That is very odd for Los Angeles.

You can get SuperShuttle from the port to LAX, and rent a car there. The booking engine at SuperShuttle says the rate would be $32 for the first passenger and then $9 each additional person in your party. Their vans hold up to nine people.

The booking engine is at https://reservations.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

Use a one-way trip to LAX, then "Residence / Business" as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/94xqWDPN For the zip code request on the next page, use 90731 and choose "San Pedro" as the location (not "Terminal Island"). They will give you several other options besides the "shared van" cost I quoted above if you want a private car service.

Long Beach Airport, LGB, is actually closer but SuperShuttle charges more to go there ($87).

We returned a rental car on a Sunday, but had to leave it in downtown Long Beach and then take a cab to the San Pedro port. The San Pedro port area and town doesn't have much to offer. Long Beach is probably it for you on a weekend.

I checked the Port of Los Angeles' website and it does say Hertz and Enterprise are closed on Sundays. That is very odd for Los Angeles.

You can get SuperShuttle from the port to LAX, and rent a car there. The booking engine at SuperShuttle says the rate would be $32 for the first passenger and then $9 each additional person in your party. Their vans hold up to nine people.

The booking engine is at https://reservations.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

Use a one-way trip to LAX, then "Residence / Business" as shown here: http://screencast.com/t/94xqWDPN For the zip code request on the next page, use 90731 and choose "San Pedro" as the location (not "Terminal Island"). They will give you several other options besides the "shared van" cost I quoted above if you want a private car service.

Long Beach Airport, LGB, is actually closer but SuperShuttle charges more to go there ($87).

Thanks for that information

We returned a rental car on a Sunday, but had to leave it in downtown Long Beach and then take a cab to the San Pedro port. The San Pedro port area and town doesn't have much to offer. Long Beach is probably it for you on a weekend.

We always rent a car from Avis locally where we live, drive to the pier to drop off the luggage, drive the office on Harbor Blvd in Long Beach to drop off the rental car, then take a cab to the San Pedro Pier. It's about a 10 minute or less ride one way.

When we get off the ship, we do the reverse. Quick, easy, and no waiting for shuttles to show up.

We always rent a car from Avis locally where we live, drive to the pier to drop off the luggage, drive the office on Harbor Blvd in Long Beach to drop off the rental car, then take a cab to the San Pedro Pier. It's about a 10 minute or less ride one way.

When we get off the ship, we do the reverse. Quick, easy, and no waiting for shuttles to show up.

The first part is exactly what we did (rented at LAX). I think cab was about $20...a few years ago.

The first part is exactly what we did (rented at LAX). I think cab was about $20...a few years ago.

Depends on traffic. I think the last time we went it was $15 including a tip. Since we are going in on a Sunday, we don't expect there to be much traffic to drop off the car. Weekends the office is open until 2pm.

we are arriving at the Cruise Terminal on the morning of Sunday the 13 March via NCL. Having trouble finding a car hire co., as the only two companies we can find who seem to serve the port are Enterprise and Hertz, both of them are closed on Sunday's . We wish to hire a car to drive up to San Fransisco and wish to drop of the car at the airport. any ideas? would be very grateful. Helen & Philip - England

Also, we have found in California the cheapest rental for different location drop-off is Avis. The cost is $86 plus some taxes and fees from Long Beach to SFO.

Since we are having an El Nino rainy season, you might be very lucky and see a bonanza of wildflowers on your way. I recommend taking Highway 101 for a prettier drive, but Highway 5 is the fastest.

Edited by pcur

You may also want to check the rates for Prime Time Shuttle from San Pedro to LAX if you opt to go that route. They may be less than Super Shuttle. I found that to be true when I was looking for a shuttle from San Pedro to Long Beach.

The problem with going to LAX to rent a car is you have to wait for the shuttle, go through a very bad traffic situation to LAX, and then get the car. For a cab ride of $15 - $20 you are in the rental office in Long Beach within 10 - 20 minutes.

LAX is a mess right now, by the way. Construction work is still ongoing:

We are in the process of building a world-class airport for Los Angeles.

Due to construction in the Central Terminal Area, allow extra time for hotel, parking and other shuttles to arrive.

The problem with going to LAX to rent a car is you have to wait for the shuttle, go through a very bad traffic situation to LAX, and then get the car. For a cab ride of $15 - $20 you are in the rental office in Long Beach within 10 - 20 minutes.

LAX is a mess right now, by the way. Construction work is still ongoing:

We are in the process of building a world-class airport for Los Angeles.

Due to construction in the Central Terminal Area, allow extra time for hotel, parking and other shuttles to arrive.

The traffic at LAX can be very heavy, but I have always seen numerous vans at the San Pedro pier from both Super Shuttle and Prime Time. There is very little if any waiting because they go as soon as the van fills up when the cruise ships are in. Last time I checked the rates to LAX, both companies charged $17 per person for the ride. My booking on Prime Time to Long Beach was $28 for two of us.

The traffic at LAX can be very heavy, but I have always seen numerous vans at the San Pedro pier from both Super Shuttle and Prime Time. There is very little if any waiting because they go as soon as the van fills up when the cruise ships are in. Last time I checked the rates to LAX, both companies charged $17 per person for the ride. My booking on Prime Time to Long Beach was $28 for two of us.

The taxi to Long Beach is $15 to $20 for all the people in the cab.

The traffic to Long Beach is light; the traffic to LAX is the opposite.

The construction at LAX is really holding up the flow in and out of the airport.

The lines at LAX to rent cars are usually long, especially in the morning when the international flights arrive.

The taxi to Long Beach is $15 to $20 for all the people in the cab.

The traffic to Long Beach is light; the traffic to LAX is the opposite.

The construction at LAX is really holding up the flow in and out of the airport.

The lines at LAX to rent cars are usually long, especially in the morning when the international flights arrive.

What taxi company do you use ?? I was quoted a much higher rate for a taxi ride from San Pedro to the Carnival pier in Long Beach.

What taxi company do you use ?? I was quoted a much higher rate for a taxi ride from San Pedro to the Carnival pier in Long Beach.

My taxi fare calculator website figured $26.84, including tip. We did this at leadst 2 years ago, so the fare has increased. Time is 16 minutes. It was just a grab and go taxi out in front of the terminal.

This is a very handy web site to use when traveling:

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/los-angeles/long+beach+cruise+terminal/long+beach+airport?default_latitude=34.051358&default_longitude=-118.24585&origin=&city_suffix=Los+Angeles%2C+CA%2C+USA&city_suffix=USA&distance=16147&duration=1012&lat_lng_from=33.76857%2C-118.19636&lat_lng_to=33.818421%2C-118.144368&daddr=249+e+ocean+blvd%2C+long+beach%2C+ca&saddr=san+pedro+cruise+port&hh=12&mm=25&btnG=Let%27s+go%21