Espresso coffees

DaveA

We will be taking our first Azamara cruise on the Quest on March 1st. This forum has been great for finding answers to most of my questions but I haven't been able to get a clear view on the availability of espresso coffees such as lattes.

Can we get lattes made with fresh milk (not long life)? Are they available only in the Mosaic cafe or also in bars and restaurants? Are they included in the fare or do they cost extra?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, I could always bring my tassimo machine???? But I know what you mean. I much prefer an Americano/expresso with cold semi skimmed milk not long life. Maybe we will have to buy a pint of milk each time we board? The thing is both Mike and I have to have a cup or two of good strong English tea first thing in the morning and wherever we go, we always pack a box of PG strong bags. But if they only provide long life I guess a visit to the local supermarket is on the cards at each port?

You can request espresso drinks in all restaurants. You can also request them in the bars but they'll come some distance. Since I prefer my coffee drinks piping hot I've never requested a "fancy" coffee drink anywhere except a restaurant or the Mosaic cafe.

Re. your 2nd question - What is long life milk, condensed?

Regardless of whether I know what it is (obvious that is irrelevant to your query, I'm just curious), do you want me to ask management if we use it on the ships in coffee drinks?

Bonnie, I think he means milk, which is fresh for weeks before its openend.

I don´t know the english word for it but my dictionary also says long-life-milk.

He asked, if they use fresh milk, but I´m almost sure, that they dont.

Fresh milk is only good for very limited days. Even when its still closed.

My DH loves the coffee specialties in the Mosaic Cafe. He´s there several times a day and I hope we will meet July and Piton at the same place than last year, serving us perfect coffees in Mosaic Cafe.

Long life is UHT milk that is treated at ultra high temperatures, this means it can be stored in tetra packs for long periods of time unrefrigerated only needing refrigeration once opened.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing

The logistics of storing milk products on ships would mean that it would be unlikely that fresh (pasteurised) milk would be available.

Here in the UK we buy Cravendale semi skimmed milk which has been filtered and so long as it's in the fridge does last up to two weeks when opened. Bit like long life but it's much purer. I don't mind the long life milk with coffee but not with tea and if they do not have "proper" semi skimmed, then we may have to search the local supermarket. Would be interesting to know what milk they stock on board, surely they take on a load and then stock up as they stop at each port? Don't they need fresh milk for preparing custards etc.

I'm only going from memory of what I put on my cornflakes in the morning, but I tick the whole milk on my breakfast order and it comes in a carton and tastes just fine. I haven't examined the writing on the carton itself, but I'm fussy about milk on cereal and not had an issue, even with a lot of sea says on say a transatlantic. The other choice on the breakfast room service menu is skimmed milk, not semi-skimmed. That tastes ok too, but I prefer the whole milk as a treat on a cruise as I have semi-skimmed at home. You can order milk on room service at any time by the glass. That tastes good also. I've often had it with cookies of an evening.

Phil

Problem with taking on-board fresh milk is guaranteeing quality of supply, and the necessary refrigeration especially transporting it about the ship. There are many locations in the world I would be very dubious about the potential quality of milk products.

As regards custards etc. no idea what Azamara do but it is common practice in bulk catering to use mixes containing dries skimmed milk that only require water, this overcomes the "tainting" problem associated with UHT milk.

One of my absolute fave things about AZ is the wide availability of coffee drinks all around the ship. Mosaic is the best place, but you can also order in the restaurants, and we do. And you can make your own in Windows buffet, if you wish. There's a machine. I like skinny lattes and I can always get them, the illusion of low-cal. Yummy. No extra charge. No need to pull out your room key for a charge added to your bill. Bottoms up!

One of my absolute fave things about AZ is the wide availability of coffee drinks all around the ship. Mosaic is the best place, but you can also order in the restaurants, and we do. And you can make your own in Windows buffet, if you wish. There's a machine. I like skinny lattes and I can always get them, the illusion of low-cal. Yummy. No extra charge. No need to pull out your room key for a charge added to your bill. Bottoms up!

Tom I agree about the coffee. I am also a lover of herbal tea without the milk and like the mint tea they have and also the Twinings lemon and ginger. I'm glad I've got into those because even taking my own teabags (PG Tips) I can never make my cuppa taste the same as it does at home.

Phil

You can request espresso drinks in all restaurants. You can also request them in the bars but they'll come some distance. Since I prefer my coffee drinks piping hot I've never requested a "fancy" coffee drink anywhere except a restaurant or the Mosaic cafe.

Re. your 2nd question - What is long life milk, condensed?

Regardless of whether I know what it is (obvious that is irrelevant to your query, I'm just curious), do you want me to ask management if we use it on the ships in coffee drinks?

Will Chai tea be available anywhere on ship?

Thank you for all your helpful responses. We both tend to be rather grumpy in the morning until we have had a decent coffee, but it sounds like we will manage just fine.

OMG we have better watch out then Dave and Margaret - dont want you upsetting the komodo dragons!

Tom I agree about the coffee. I am also a lover of herbal tea without the milk and like the mint tea they have and also the Twinings lemon and ginger. I'm glad I've got into those because even taking my own teabags (PG Tips) I can never make my cuppa taste the same as it does at home.

Phil

We too cannot function until we have had at least one cup of tea in the morning but as said previously, we will be bringing our own tea bags.

I must say the special coffeemachines in the buffet restaurant you can use 24h gives good special coffees. "Real coffee, expresso, latte machiato and if you want you can choose for decaf. It is not freshmilk but it gives a good tasty creamlayer

We have never sail Azamara. All the other lines, however, have the small cartons of fresh skim, regular, and chocolate milk for cereal in the buffet and room service. I have not seen the UHT milk that is prevalent in Europe. The UHT milk has a very different taste. When I lived overseas I kept a carton on hand for emergencies, but I prefer fresh milk. Just my opinion though ;)

Edited by 81Zoomie