tips for luggage/packing

RNsoon2beNP

The last cruise we took we drove to the ship so luggage wasn't an issue. But our next vaca we are flying any packing tips? I know luggage and airlines can be very pricy. We have a family of 5 for a 6 day cruise and 2 days in Miami. We don't have a airline picked as of yet, but trying to be cost efficient. Any tips, tricks or advice? 👜💼👙🚢😎

Packing light is my specialty! Our last cruise was an 11 nt and bf and I shared ONE carryon and had a backpack each. I still ended up with stuff I didn't wear!

I would say the most cost efficient thing to do would be to not check luggage, unless of course you are flying Spirit or another equally crappy carrier which charges MORE for a carryon than a checked bag. Most lines charge $25 for a checked bag; for your family that's $125! Each person can have their own carry on bag and a backpack or personal item to fit under the seat in front of them and IMO that is PLENTY of room for one week in a warm climate.

#1 rule for me is cut down on shoes. They are bulky and take up the most space. You only need three pairs. One pair for hiking/walking, such as sneakers or trainers. One pair of dressy shoes for dinner. One pair of flip flops or water shoes for the beach. Wear your bulkiest shoes on the plane. If you have any girls and they must bring heels, please tell them not to bring platforms. I learned that the hard way. LOL

For clothes, make a capsule collection, meaning every piece matches with everything else. This way if you keep your clothes clean, for the most part, all your dinner/nicer clothes will all match with each other, and then you only need that one pair of dressy shoes. If you guys are doing formal night, you can wear the same thing on both nights. Daytime clothes you can do the same, but I bring more t shirts/tanks than shorts, so you can change out of a sweaty shirt if you need to, but I find I don't sweat as much on the lower half of my body. You may find you are different. But bring two swimsuits! So you always have a dry one! I see you are cruising Carnival. I do believe Carnival has laundry rooms on board, if you do have to wash some clothes, you can do it on a sea day. I've done it before, and it takes just a few minutes to throw things in, and then into the dryer, no biggie. There are also irons and ironing boards in there too in case you need to use them. You cannot bring an iron on board!

Don't let the females bring a hairdryer. There will be one on board. Unless they are really really finicky about their hair, the one on board works just fine.

If anyone in the family uses the same brand of lotion/shampoo/etc, consolidate. There's no reason for everyone to bring their own. Again, the on board stuff is fine, unless someone is really picky, then make them bring their own. Make a rule that everyone brings their own stuff so no one brings too much! Also if you stick to the no checked bags rule, no chance of anyones luggage getting lost!

Another benefit to no checked bags is that once at the port, you can skip the porters at the dock and go right in the terminal to check in. No tipping the porters, which will save about $2 each bag, that's another $10. Also, on disembarkation day, you don't have to wait for your group to be called to leave. Just take your own bags when you are ready and you can self-disembark, and no searching for your luggage once outside.

PS. I see your user ID name. My best friend is an RN and just finished school for NP. Good for you!

Edited by whataboutport

Don't let the females bring a hairdryer. There will be one on board. Unless they are really really finicky about their hair, the one on board works just fine.

Actually they don't. Are you for real? Not "letting" the females pack a hairdryer.

The ship's hairdryer's are horrible.

BRING your hairdryer! They don''t weigh much, and you'll be glad to have it! Stuff the nose into one of hubby's shoes to save space.

Not every ship supplies hair dryers in the rooms. Sometimes you can ask for one, but they go quickly. And you have to keep the button pressed down while you are drying. They do this so you won't leave it running when you leave the room.

You might check what benefits your credit cards have. Many have free checked bags, when using them to pay for your airline tickets. I know that the Delta,Alaska Air Line visas , and Citi bank have that as a benefit . The ones you carry may already have the benefit.

Check out airlines like Southwest where bags fly free.

When comparing airline prices add in the costs of the luggage especially when comparing to airlines where it's free.

When DH & I fly we check 1 bag between us & that's more because we can't be bothered schlepping then the cost.

So have people pack heavy stuff like shoes in the carry on but perhaps take 1 checked bag for everybody. If you roll the clothes they will fit better.

You say you're sailing out of Miami. I'd also check air fares into Fort Lauderdale (Southwest). Two free bags pp can carry a lot of stuff! Its only about a 30-40 min drive to Miami, and you can grab a shared shuttle for about $18pp. (Of course, factor that into the airfare to see if it is cheaper than flying into Miami with bag fees. :))

http://ridesas.com/

You might also want to check the terms of your credit card to see if they provide a basic travel insurance. I know my card does. Although I usually buy extra for 'evacuation' insurance. Don't like to think of something happening, but I have seen the Coast Guard having to medevac someone.

Are there any snorkeling plans? You might want to figure that into the equation. If you have your own gear, great. But if you plan on using the excursion gear, I would recommend buying your own personal (clean!)snorkel. I know I've seen them at the excursion desk for $5. Then you could just discard after the cruise.

If you check bags, I would recommend packing a bit of everyone's stuff in each bag. That way if any luggage gets lost or delayed, at least everyone would have some things to wear. :)

Actually they don't. Are you for real? Not "letting" the females pack a hairdryer.

The ship's hairdryer's are horrible.

I've always used the ship's hair dryer, and yes believe it or not, it's worked just fine. It blew hot air and it dried my hair. Maybe if you're one of those people who can afford a $300 hair dryer, then I'm sure you can tell the difference.

Not every ship supplies hair dryers in the rooms. Sometimes you can ask for one, but they go quickly. And you have to keep the button pressed down while you are drying. They do this so you won't leave it running when you leave the room.

I've sailed most of the major lines and they all had hair driers in the rooms. I had no problem holding down the button either. I can see if someone had arthritis it might be a problem.

I've sailed most of the major lines and they all had hair driers in the rooms. I had no problem holding down the button either. I can see if someone had arthritis it might be a problem.

You can take some rubber bands and twist them over the on switch to save your hands.

Spread everyones clothes out among all the bags, so if a bag gets lost everyone still has clothes to wear.

Use neon colored zipties to lock your checked luggage so you can tell if someone has been in it.

Put a piece of paper with name, ship, sailing date, room etc in each bag so if your outside tag falls off they know whose it is.

With a carry on & a backpack--not my 1st choice, but honestly worked fine!

Hairdryers & toiletries supplied in room are fine. My favorite? No, but to save packing & for a week, who cares?

Realize that you change clothes ALOT on a Caribbean cruise. Toss on a tee & shorts for breakfast; get into swimsuit. Change into top & capris for dinner (possibly nicer). SO realize you will re-wear items often. I bring 1 pair of dark capris, 1 pair of dark shorts, 1 pair of dark dressy slacks, 1 swimsuit (yes, one is enough...if it is damp it will dry quickly once you get in the sun) & coverup, and a number of tops. I agree--walking shoes, dressy shoes & flipflops. Rolling clothing tightly minimizes wrinkles (you must roll carefully) & allows you to pack much more.

With kids I used giant ziploc bags & packed their outfits in them, labeled them--tossed the bags in drawers when we got there, they could easily find matching outifts. (I still use those bags for our packing today)

DO bring children's meds--they are VERY expensive on the ship (I brought liquid kids tylenol & ran out when DD got an ear infection--had to buy onboard, OUCH)

Don't forget a beach bag. Could use as extra luggage on the way home if needed.

Price your airlines; consider SWA, especially since they allow you to check 2 bags each free. (but do NOT let everyone check 2 bags--too much for kids; we try to limit them to 1 backpack & 1 rolling bag they can handle themselves; if they are too little, we combine into a larger one that one of us or an older child handles)

• 2 weeks later...

What ship have you been on that didn't provide a hairdryer in the cabin???

We have been on a dozen different ships on six different cruise lines and either the cabin or the bathroom has always had a hairdryer. We've cruised mostly in Inside or oceanview cabins, twice in balcony.

I would recommend rolling your clothes rather than folding them --> this is a win-win situation because it makes them more compact and prevents wrinkles! Another trick that I like to use is stuffing socks or undergarments into rigid vessels such as shoes or mugs.

In terms of what you should be bringing onto the cruise ship, I would call ahead and ask what toiletries are provided. I am not a personal fan of most ships' hair dryers, so it may be worth it to bring your own. If you have a favorite shampoo/conditioner I would bring that as well. I've found that bringing a power strip is useful because there are often very few outlets available in the cabin.

Definitely spread out your clothes within all the luggage in case one suitcase gets delayed or lost.