Haven't cruised in 26 years

Uchylisa

My husband and I are taking our kids on the Allure of the Seas right after my son Graduates from High School we depart on June 12.

The only time i cruised was when I was 17, and I had the time of my life.

I'm interested to see how much has changed. I remember lots of ice sculptures and carvings in watermelons and a midnight buffet after the show got out every night. My mom made us take Papaya enzymes so we could eat more. :) I"d love to hear about other cruise tricks you seasoned veterans know about.

We have 2 connecting Boardwalk Balcony rooms and my in laws are just down the hallway in a similar room on the 9th deck.

We plan to stay the night at the Embassy Suite in FLL the night before we depart. We still need to purchase airfare from Portland and are hoping it will drop in price as it's ridiculously high right now.

Wondering if anyone has any particular tips about the Allure and also what the status of motion sickness is on theses HUGE ships. When we went in 1990 we wore sea bands and had no problem until the day I decided I didn't really need them and took them off. Alter spending hours in the bathroom on a day at sea, i became a believer, so I have bought Sea Bands for my family. Do they still work well or do i need to bring dramamine as well.

You will find a different experience this time around. No more extravagant buffets, or carvings..no more real silver place settings...no more "full" place settings or crystal/china...3 course meals instead of 5 courses...wrapped butter, instead of molded butter pats on ice... and overall, a more casual enviroment.

You will still have a fabulous vacation, but you no longer feel like "royalty"!

Well a lot has changed. No more midnight buffets - they stopped that a number of years ago. Some ships will still do ice carvings but it is not like it used to be its been a few years since we've seen that also.

Unless you are really sensitive to motion or sea sickness, I doubt you'll need to worry about that on Allure. The ship is so big and well stabilized that often its hard to realize you are at sea at all. But bring something if you are concerned or you can get pills on board.

The ships and cruising experience have changed dramatically since your last cruise - just study the deck plans and different venues on Allure to get a taste. Speaking of which, there are numerous specialty restaurants on board now as well and they are worth trying if you don't mind spending the additional fee IMO.

Allure's shows are very good and the venues include an adults only comedy club and a Jazz club.

You will have a great time I'm sure and one that will likely start you down the road to others. Enjoy!

Edited by leaveitallbehind