Carnival Imagination Review - First Timer's Perspective

Timsierramist

Loved, loved, loved your review, your fantastic pics and your videos!! Our family of 10 will be boarding the Imagination in a couple of weeks and we can hardly wait. Your review surely elevates our excitement and anticipation as we wait for our time to sail!! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

Great review and excellent photos. I hope you plan to cruise soon - you definitely have the bug. Since you're a west-coaster I recommend Alaska - we had a great time.

I've got my next cruise already booked (with deposit anyways). And I'm going ALL OUT (for a young, solo cruiser on a budget anyways.

7 night Western Caribbean onboard NCL's Epic.

Hope NCL isn't as bad as I keep hearing. Somehow I doubt it. I'm not very hard to impress. And it's the best value for a budget minded solo cruiser.

Going to hit all those "as seen on TV" islands. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Conzumel and NCL's private Island.

As a bonus, I'll visit Disneyworld a day or two before...

Thanks for the review.

Did you take Uber to Upland? What was the cost?

I used Uber and Lyft. The rates can vary depending on a variety of circumstances, but I'll post below.

House to Montclair Metrolink Station: $6.04 - Uber

Long Beach Station to Queen Mary: $5.95 - Lyft

Cruise Terminal to Long Beach Station:$4.96 - Uber

Montclair Metrolink Station to House: $5.46 - Uber

The only strange thing I had happen with my Metrolink Ticket is on my return trip, it wouldn't validate my fare when I tried tapping to board the train from Long Beach to Union Station (Metrolink tickets have RFID chips in them now that allow you to tap and go when making transfers from Metrolink to Metro). I guess the wiz kids at Metro have not figured that far ahead that folks would possibly be doing round trips a few days later and might want to come back the same way they came.

I was concerned it might cause some raised eyebrows from deputies or other fare inspectors, but it didn't.

Regardless. It was well worth the hassle versus paying the outrageous (in my humble opinion) City of Long Beach Parking prices.

A great way to learn more about different cruise lines and ships is listen to the cruise radio podcast on iTunes.

LOVE Podcasts. Always subscribed to a few (and Cruise Radio is one of them).

I even used to be a part of a fairly successful one called DLNT (Disneyland News Today) back in the day. We've since gone our separate ways on that one, but I still often feel nostalgia with it, especially when i'm at Disneyland.

I used Uber and Lyft. The rates can vary depending on a variety of circumstances, but I'll post below.

The only strange thing I had happen with my Metrolink Ticket is on my return trip, it wouldn't validate my fare when I tried tapping to board the train from Long Beach to Union Station (Metrolink tickets have RFID chips in them now that allow you to tap and go when making transfers from Metrolink to Metro). I guess the wiz kids at Metro have not figured that far ahead that folks would possibly be doing round trips a few days later and might want to come back the same way they came.

I was concerned it might cause some raised eyebrows from deputies or other fare inspectors, but it didn't.

Regardless. It was well worth the hassle versus paying the outrageous (in my humble opinion) City of Long Beach Parking prices.

FYI - There is a free bus (Passport) from the LB station to the QM. The stop is on Ocean Blvd. across the street from Rock Bottom Brewery. The QM stop is at the green median in the middle of the parking lot.

For Metrolink, you need to buy 2 one-way tickets. The 1st for getting to Long Beach. Going from Long Beach back home, you need to buy a future dated ticket starting at the Long Beach Transit Center and ending at your station.

We have been to Ensenada many times and just ignore the shop keepers.

FYI - There is a free bus (Passport) from the LB station to the QM. The stop is on Ocean Blvd. across the street from Rock Bottom Brewery. The QM stop is at the green median in the middle of the parking lot.

For Metrolink, you need to buy 2 one-way tickets. The 1st for getting to Long Beach. Going from Long Beach back home, you need to buy a future dated ticket starting at the Long Beach Transit Center and ending at your station.

We have been to Ensenada many times and just ignore the shop keepers.

Because of the rain, I decided to skip waiting for the bus and just jump into an Uber. But as for the train, that makes sense now. I did choose a future date for return, but since the tickets were for roundtrip from Union Station, I guess Metro wouldn't know otherwise.

Don't think i'll visit Ensenada again in the near future. I've got my sights set on the Caribbean now...and Alaska.

However, I may do a 7 day Baja Mexico eventually. Would probably be cooler to go way down south somewhere.

That's a great choice for a first cruise. Only thing I'd change is the ocean. The Caribbean ROCKS! BTW, Bahamas very similar to Ensenada :rolleyes:

Haha, that's pretty funny. I never thought of the Bahamas in similar fashion to our 3/4 day Mexico cruises, but I guess that does indeed make sense.

Is the Bahamas not exotic in the slightest? I know out here, in relation to Ensenada just feels like you walked into a rough part of Southern California somewhere. The pictures I see of the Bahamas has a Caribbean vibe to them, with the white sandy beaches and the crystal blue waters, etc.

The Caribbean ROCKS! BTW, Bahamas very similar to Ensenada :rolleyes:

Funny, I thought the same thing when I cruised the Caribbean. In Mexico, I was hassled to buy stuff virtually everywhere we went. The same thing happened on the islands of the Caribbean.

However, I may do a 7 day Baja Mexico eventually. Would probably be cooler to go way down south somewhere.

Welcome to cruising! We have done the Mexican Rivera twice and Princess. Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Valarta. All very safe, clean and fun ports. Much better than Ensenada. I guess it's better than stopping in Tijana though? :eek:

We are also now focused on the Caribbean (for now). Bigger, longer, more complicated cruises will be in our future!

Happy cruising!

Ps, I loved Thrifty's as a kid! Don't live in CA anymore. How much are scoops now?

Thanks for the review. Very well paged out.

We were on the Imagination a few years ago and will also be cruising the West Caribbean next Jan. I agree with staying on the QM. Fun to go around and look at all of the artifacts and the haunting stories. When we sailed the Splendor, my first cruise, I also awoke at 5 am to see her coming in. It really is exciting and I hope that feeling never goes away with the more cruises we take.

Thanks for the info.

The free Passport bus picks up in the QM parking lot and has a stop around the corner from the Blue Line stop. Many crew take this to Walmart. This savings will buy a beer onboard :D

Our MetroLink (San Ber'do Line) ticket is only good for Metro (Colored Lines) AFTER the MetroLink portion has been completed. Unfortunately, you have to buy the reusable TAP ($1) card and the fare ($1.75) going back. Something to do with how it gets validated. Voice of Experience.

Was your ticket scanned by someone on the return? The 7th Street Station is an easy transfer. Others you have to go thru gates.

For the 3day cruises we park at port, longer we take the rails.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for the info.

The free Passport bus picks up in the QM parking lot and has a stop around the corner from the Blue Line stop. Many crew take this to Walmart. This savings will buy a beer onboard :D

Our MetroLink (San Ber'do Line) ticket is only good for Metro (Colored Lines) AFTER the MetroLink portion has been completed. Unfortunately, you have to buy the reusable TAP ($1) card and the fare ($1.75) going back. Something to do with how it gets validated. Voice of Experience.

Was your ticket scanned by someone on the return? The 7th Street Station is an easy transfer. Others you have to go thru gates.

For the 3day cruises we park at port, longer we take the rails.

I knew the bus was around. But I chose to skip it because I didn't want to wait in the rain. $5 was nothing for being on vacation. ;-)

Thank you for the review. I have a question pertaining to the bottomless bubbles program. I purchased it for our cruise on the Imagnation next week and wanted to know if there are soda machines you can use or do you have to always order from the staff? Can you get the soda anywhere on the ship or only from specific locations? Also you mentioned always tipping is that because you used waitstaff to order and deliver a drink while at pool/lounger?

TIA

Thank you for the review. I have a question pertaining to the bottomless bubbles program. I purchased it for our cruise on the Imagnation next week and wanted to know if there are soda machines you can use or do you have to always order from the staff? Can you get the soda anywhere on the ship or only from specific locations? Also you mentioned always tipping is that because you used waitstaff to order and deliver a drink while at pool/lounger?

TIA

No soda machines and soda is available from any bar or bar server. No need to tip extra.

Very nice report. My kids would love to stay at the Queen Mary. We would go on the Miracle for a week.

How much did they charge you to park if you drove?

Thanks!

Edited by Utahrd

Very nice report. My kids would love to stay at the Queen Mary. We would go on the Miracle for a week.

How much did they charge you to park if you drove?

Thanks!

Parking is $19/day, prorated. Parking for the QM is in a lot and Carnival is in a 5 story structure. If you have an oversize vehicle, then you park in the QM lot.