Less Countries to visit

Living on a prayer

It will be our 1st cruise with Princess in July. Our original ports of call had us going to Tunisia. That was removed after the gunman murders on the beach. Istanbul is on the list, and I fear that may be removed, after the suicide bomber today, that killed up to 10 German tourist. It must be getting harder for cruise companies to supply "safe" cruising holidays.

It will be our 1st cruise with Princess in July. Our original ports of call had us going to Tunisia. That was removed after the gunman murders on the beach. Istanbul is on the list, and I fear that may be removed, after the suicide bomber today, that killed up to 10 German tourist. It must be getting harder for cruise companies to supply "safe" cruising holidays.

If you do a search, someone a week or so ago had noticed that Istanbul was replaced with another port on their cruise this summer.

Istanbul was removed from our Med cruise in Nov.

We were supposed to visit on election day.

We were pretty much the last Princess ship that would have visited for the season.

After boarding we noticed that no changes were mentioned. However I checked our onboard account in the first 2 days and noticed a refund for port charges so I put 2 and 2 together and figured that Istanbul was taken off. They did not say a word until about 4 days left in the cruise and 2 days before our visit to Istanbul. They knew about these changes many weeks if not months before. (starting with the attack in June and bolstered by another attack in September).

The security situation in that area is the prime reason I will not go there. I saw enough of it in '83 and '85 when I was there. It isn't getting any better. One terrorist attack killed over 230 good Marines then. No need to return for another chance.

OP, have you been told what the substituted ports are? Would assume with your cruise not being until July that there is plenty of time to find alternates.

We enjoyed immensely our visits over the years to Turkey, but understand the cancellations. As with other cancelled ports and counties no longer visited by ships, these countries depend heavily on tourism so many innocent, hardworking folks suffer from the loss of the cruise business.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

My wife and I are currently booked for the May 14th Rome departure for the Greece and Turkey cruise with a scheduled stop in Istanbul on the 19th.

I have noticed that the excursions have not opened yet and with all the turmoil in the region sort of expect to be rerouted to another port, especially with the tourists killed today in a tourist area of the city.

Even before the bombing today, my wife and I were debating about just staying on board for the day. We would have probably not done that as it seems drastic but now we are waiting on information from Princess.

Any ideas on how long Princess will take to say something?

OP, have you been told what the substituted ports are? Would assume with your cruise not being until July that there is plenty of time to find alternates.

We enjoyed immensely our visits over the years to Turkey, but understand the cancellations. As with other cancelled ports and counties no longer visited by ships, these countries depend heavily on tourism so many innocent, hardworking folks suffer from the loss of the cruise business.

I think Tunisia was replaced with a stop in Italy. We have another stop in Turkey (Kusadasi). I guess that will be removed too. The cruising world is getting smaller. Sad times.

I think Tunisia was replaced with a stop in Italy. We have another stop in Turkey (Kusadasi). I guess that will be removed too. The cruising world is getting smaller. Sad times.

Kusadasi is in different geographic region of Turkey. That stop might stay on the itinerary. We had a wonderful day there.

Our Tunisia stop was replaced with Salerno last year. Others had Malta subbed for Tunisia.