Rough waters?

Max Bet

We can't get Bonine or dramamine in Canada so hope to have enough time to get some in SAN Diego before boarding. Canadian gravol pills make me feel like crap.

Really? That's crazy! It's an OTC drug! Okay, so if that's the case, there are a few small grocery stores in San Diego near the port. A taxi driver will stop there for you if you want. Here's some info. on Ralph's which is just a few blocks from the port:

101 G St, San Diego, CA 92101

ralphs.com

(619) 595-1581

Open now: Open 24 hours

and a CVS Drug store:

510 C St, San Diego, CA 92101

cvs.com

(619) 615-0263

Open now: 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM

As soon as you board the ship, stop by Guest Relations and pick up some meclizine (generic Bonine).

They give it out free of charge.

Yes, Meclizine is available free of charge from Guest Relations.

WARNING: On our last cruise in December 2015 (Equinox) I had misplaced my Bonine, so sent my husband down to Guest Relations to get some of the free Meclizine, and he went to the onboard sundries shop instead. He paid $10.95 USD for eight pills. I was born in Scotland and raised by very thrift-conscious Scots and I have to tell you, I am not keen to pay for something I could have received for free. ;) (Sorry for the use of a tired stereotype, but in my family, that was the reality. :))

I have been on 10 Pacific Coastals, sailing in both directions. We only had rough weather once in all those trips, and that was a full-on storm, going south from Seattle to San Francisco. It lasted the best part of the night. I was on the Holland America Zuiderdam and it didn't ride the seas very well. I am very prone to motion sickness and had taken bonine, so I was fine. However, I was on the 3rd "sofa" berth in a suite, cross-wise in the cabin, and I slipped back and forth all night long, from the bottom to the top of the bed and back again. Bonine works REALLY well for me...no motion sickness at all.

I get no side-effects whatsoever with Bonine.

Whenever we see this type of post we start "rocking" in our chair :). So here are a few thoughts (and truths). Nobody can accurately predict sea conditions more then a few days in advance. So asking the question here might get you some anecdotal comments ("we cruised that area in 1895 and it was calm) which are about as worthless as a 3 month weather forecast. As to seasickness, some folks have a problem and other do not. But our favorite tale is about a German lady who ate dinner with us on the Rotterdam VI, while tied up against the dock in Rotterdam, and who quickly became green and quite sick (which really made her DH angry). At the time, we were tied up securely at the dock in a calm river (with a band playing outside) with the ship steady as a rock. This lady stayed in her cabin for the next 6 days (as we crossed the Atlantic to NYC) moaning and groaning. And that crossing was as smooth as glass.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If it's rough, just enjoy being rocked to sleep. Not a big deal.... obviously, there's no way to know what the specific weather will be that far in advance. Obviously, there are plenty of sites that can give you average sea conditions for any month in any location. Obviously, modern medicine has preventative treatment so that no one needs to suffer from motion sickness. No need to worry....just enjoy the cruise.

We can't get Bonine or dramamine in Canada so hope to have enough time to get some in SAN Diego before boarding. Canadian gravol pills make me feel like crap.

Canadian Gravol and Dramamine are the identical drug, dimenhydrinate, by different brand names.

Yes, Meclizine is available free of charge from Guest Relations.

WARNING: On our last cruise in December 2015 (Equinox) I had misplaced my Bonine, so sent my husband down to Guest Relations to get some of the free Meclizine, and he went to the onboard sundries shop instead. He paid $10.95 USD for eight pills. I was born in Scotland and raised by very thrift-conscious Scots and I have to tell you, I am not keen to pay for something I could have received for free. ;)

Scots are not the only ones who feel that way.

We also noticed it for sale in the sundries shop and wondered if anyone ever actually bought it there, or if the sales clerk would be kind enough to tell anyone who tried that it is given out free at Guest Relations and also in the Medical Center on board.

So now we know the answer. :(

But they sell snacks there too, which I also find surprising with all the free snacks available on the ship.

Or, the be technically accurate, I suppose I should say "included" instead of free.

Edited by varoo