Oil about $30 per barrel will cruise prices go down?

Hflors

We are doing an AI next week to Mexico for one week...a wedding. Home and then to SE Asia for two months.

We are cashing out our US dollar bank accounts while the exchange is high. Want to take advantage of it since we have no plans to travel in the US until our currency improves. May as well make some lemonade out of lemons. Next winter is getting locked in soon...no cruises either. Lots of other alternatives though.

Sail - many Canadian websites end in ".ca" in place of .com. Not all of course as nothing is ever that easy.

If you have time you can Google search the following sites that supply Canadian news aside from the CBC and Globe and Mail which you have already have.

680 news

Toronto Star

Montreal Gazette

Financial Post

we would love to take a Boston to Montreal cruise this summer to test my head for its sea legs but the way our dollar is falling, below 70 cents compared to the US dollar, I don't think we can swing it. The rise in the cost of everything is shocking...even for us who are used to paying the most expensive rates for electricity in the country.

Thank you, 1 of 4.

Hope you are feeling better.

This thread has turned out to be the same as this recent thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290367&page=1

Often when a thread drifts with many posts, it is probably because that is what people here want to talk about.

With the way Wall Street has been behaving since the start of the year and the way it closed today, lots of Americans retired or approaching retirement are likely putting travel on the back burner. There has been the biggest loss to the Dow at start of a new year ever. I actually heard the word recession used today by one of the financial talking heads.

I just have a couple of thoughts, random stuff because you guys are WAAAAY more on the ball than me. I appreciate your insights and debates. I learn a lot from the time you take to post your views.

I am Canadian and while my perspective is my own it is one from where I live.

- yes produce has gone up. I accept this as a result of our declining dollar and the drought in CA. Makes sense...I don't like it but I can walk past a cauliflower that is over priced and it's not happening. It's produce not life saving medication. Kale and beans...I'm good with that for now.

-pork...the new red meat! I'm getting really reasonable prices and buying pork on sale. I think the last steak I had was on my Maasdam cruise in July and our company Christmas party.

-gas.....filled up for $o.894 cents/ litre...I splurged with full serve because it was CCCCCold and it was dark. Self serve was $0.844...but the line ups and the pump aggression was worth the upcharge of $0.05/litre. Ask me about the pump aggression, that's a story in itself.

-Flights. Low oil prices have helped. My return flight from Ottawa to Phoenix this year is $502 all in. Two years ago it was $684.

Two years ago to Europe was $1600 and change, this year it's $1150

So some things are cheaper, some are more expensive in CDN.

Things I have to pay for in USD are up 40%up.like the cost of my summer cruise and my Feb AZ spending. I'm not excited about it but I'm willing to pay the price at this time.

I'm not sure how this will affect my travel plans a year from now. I'll reassess when the time comes.

I do want to add I watch a website called Gcaptain.com It is a great source of information about the shipping industry and many things that affect the world economy. I'd highly recommend checking in once a day to see what's happening on the ground or the sea...it affects your dollar, my dollar and someone else's dollar.

Edited by sammygoose
add

I think it will cause cruise prices to go up.

The average person will now have more disposable income as fuel prices for their cars, home heating, and for bigger things such as food and other consumable deliveries drop.

More money in the pocket of the average consumer creates a broader market of people willing and able to pay for luxuries (vacations). Therefore supply (ship cabins) remains constant, but demand increases. So not only will they not have to discount, but this is why you are seeing average prices rising on luxury items.

You make a lot of sense. Supply and demand.

Originally Posted by LMaxwell View Post

I think it will cause cruise prices to go up.

The average person will now have more disposable income as fuel prices for their cars, home heating, and for bigger things such as food and other consumable deliveries drop.

More money in the pocket of the average consumer creates a broader market of people willing and able to pay for luxuries (vacations). Therefore supply (ship cabins) remains constant, but demand increases. So not only will they not have to discount, but this is why you are seeing average prices rising on luxury items.

================================

That is one way of seeing things , but a lot of folks that take cruises have their income in the stock market, and the flailing price of commodities means they have less to spend on vacations.

So for me to save 10 or 20 bucks on a fill up, but my investments on stocks go down, and bring the canuck buck down, is not good.

So, it is a bit presumptuous to think that a lower cost for a fill up means more bucks for folks to take vacations,

Edited by jpelleti007
spelilng msitakes

Petrol in Canada is apparently much cheaper than here. Our dollars are nearly identical at the moment and it is still over $1 a litre. Probably more govt tax.

Not noticing many other price changes though. Our main issue in terms of travel is exchange rate. Also self funded retirees may be income affected but at least our interest rates are higher, we can get around 3%

Was talking to someone yesterday who has just booked a long cruise tour to Canada. Everyone I know have written off the US at thee moment except my ski mad brother. Still a lot cheaper for him.