Southampton Central Train Station

MONKEY20

Has anyone walked to/from Southampton Central train station to the dock.

It looks quite easy on google maps.

Ian

We met a couple on Aurora last year who did, I told them they were mad, but I saw them also walking back at the end of the cruise, I'm assuming they didn't give in halfway and hail a cab. Unfortunately I didn't get their contact details so I will never know!

So they have just left a P&O cruise, collected their luggage and chose to lug it and themselves to the station to save a fiver on a taxi.

Maybe they were the couple who claimed that they had a zero balance on their account at the end of a cruise.

David.

We are only on a 2 night taster cruise,and have only a small suitcase.

The train arrives 3 hours before my boarding time so I thought I would walk to the dock check in my small suitcase and walk in town to pass some time.

Ian

We walked it last year both ways (without luggage)

On the way to the ship, we stopped for a beer and on the way back, we went and had a look at the new Royal Caribbean ship.

If you cut through West Quays, it`s about 30 minutes. Wouldn`t fancy it with luggage though.

The regular Unilink bus goes from the south (Toys r Us/IKEA) side of the railway station to the National Oceanography Centre (NOC on bus signs), near QE and Ocean Terminals. It is not suitable for the western docks (berths 101, 102, 106). If you have a bus pass issued in England it is free. Don't know what the fare is if you have to pay. I live in Soton and have walked from 102 to near the railway station towing a case on wheels and with a carry-on bag. Anyone can use the Unilink buses - they are not confined to students.

Yes, we've done it several times with not too heavy luggage- and all the way to Ocean Terminal, on one occasion. Didn't find any problems...it's flat all the way, and so long as you cross the busy roads at proper crossings, because you're going to be slower pulling your wheels behind you! :rolleyes: We can't stand sticking around in our hotel, usually near the station, so start the walk in the middle of the morning, check out the ships from the Mayflower Park, then go for a coffee at the Holiday Inn. It's not too good if you have heavy hand luggage. ;)