Tell me about Rhapsody and this W. Caribbean itinerary

sunset785

Hi all! I am eyeing a trip out of Tampa next March 2017 on the Rhapsody on the Western Caribbean route. Our kids will be 2.5 and 5 years old at the time and will be no strangers to cruising. How is this ship? Have she been recently upgraded or will she go to dry dock anytime soon? Also, what do you think about this itinerary with kids? We would like do beach days at all ports. We have never been to Belize, Costa Maya, or Roatan. Any information would be great! Thanks!

Hi all! I am eyeing a trip out of Tampa next March 2017 on the Rhapsody on the Western Caribbean route. Our kids will be 2.5 and 5 years old at the time and will be no strangers to cruising. How is this ship? Have she been recently upgraded or will she go to dry dock anytime soon? Also, what do you think about this itinerary with kids? We would like do beach days at all ports. We have never been to Belize, Costa Maya, or Roatan. Any information would be great! Thanks!

We were on Rhapsody in Sep. She was in great shape. I love the class and loved the ship. Mind you it's one of RCCL's oldest. But as I said she was in beautiful shape. Keep in mind that there is no "kiddie pool." There is a nice pool, but not like the larger ships that have a separate kiddie pool. Don't know about kids programs but I suspect it will be up to par with other ships. The cabins may be a bit smaller. If you have a JS for example (we did) there is no walk in closet. It's not as big as the JS on larger ships.

As for the itinerary, I can't speak too much on it as I have only been to Costa Maya and Belize and that was over 10 years ago. But as I remember there should be lots of beach options. You might check out the shore tours as an example of what's available, look at CC port blogs, and check Tripadvisor.

Anyway, as long as you know the limitations of Rhapsody, you will be more than happy. As I said, one of my personal favorite class of ships. But I don't have kids. :)

• 1 month later...

While I can't speak about the ship itself, I can talk about the ports of call as we were just there last week. We were unable to go to Honduras due to a medical emergency on the ship and we were re-routed to Cozumel. The beaches in Belize were BEAUTIFUL and in Cozumel we did the Playa Mia water park. Since you have young kids, I HIGHLY recommend this excursion. They have TONS of stuff for the family!

• 3 weeks later...

Rhapsody is a wonderful ship. I will be on her for 20 days before dry dock in November.

Your cruise is after dry dock, so it should be even better shape after my cruise. Bon Voyage!

• 2 months later...

I've been eyeing that cruise in March 2017 also. I've done this exact itinerary on the Norwegian Dawn 2 yrs ago with my son who was 9 at the time.

Look into Victor Bodden tours in roatan. I forget exactly how much it was but we had a private driver for the whole time and went to interact with monkeys and it was very reasonable. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I also recommend looking into tropicante in Costa maya. American owned. Amazing service. Great beach. And you can reserve chairs via email just with commitment to buy food or something while you're there.

In Roatan I recommend Steve Bush for transport and/or tours. His work as a driver is to support his work with underprivileged children. He is a lovely family man, we visited his home on our day with him, a truly humbling experience.

We were on Rhapsody last week. I didn't have children with me but all the staff I came across were very friendly and helpful, many of them preferring to work on the smaller ships.

Edited by cinnamon