Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

We did 8 weeks in Europe last year a yes my DH took a jacket but it was a multi purpose jacket. Windproof, water proof and warm. Not a jacket for wearing to dinner although I did see a couple of men wearing them in the MDR. My DH chose to wear nice pants, business shirt and a tie. No problems at all. You don't lug a jacket for 8 weeks that you will only wear a couple of times. At no time was a jacket required for dinner in either Italy or Turkey. HAL is just coming into line with the rest of the world.

Stratheden,

Thank you! That is what I was trying to say since we will be in Europe 3 mos. prior to our Oct. cruise.

We travel a lot with my husband's work, and know how to pack to live!

We learned the hard way with large luggage in past! We take a spinner 22 inch with a tote only as carry on. Since he travels all the time our miles take us everywhere on United so first or buisness we are able to carry on.

We never had problems either in Italy or Paris! Ate at Le Dome in Paris for our anniversary and we both had on our Tommy Bahama wear and we looked great! People wore the same, as well as upper dress.

Denise:)

Nor can you! In addition, people shouldn't be giving false information and being mislead that dressing down is now becoming the "norm"!

I was very surprised by how people dressed on Gala Nights on my NA, 7 Nite Carib cruise last week after reading these threads for the last months. We had passengers onboard in all age groups including a younger group. I did not see anyone dressed in a Pullover or Tommy Bahama shirt on Gala Night. If anything it was the opposite! The majority were in Suit and/or Sports Coat, Dress Shirt and Tie. The majority remained "dressed" throughout the Evening!

We were in Fixed Main Dining but the one Gala Night we lined up in the Explorer's Lounge to get pics taken with "The Stars". We saw As You Wish passengers coming out of the MDR passing us and everyone we saw were dressed up.

I don't care what you or anyone wears! I do think though based on this past Cruise and my two longer cruises last Fall that it will be a long time if, at all, HAL passengers turn into Carnival or NCL!

Thank you for commenting on the open dining pax. I've found the same thing since I dine in open dining. It amazes me that people that don't even dine in the MDR say people don't dress up as much as they do in fixed dining. I found the same thing on my October cruise.

Nor can you! In addition, people shouldn't be giving false information and being mislead that dressing down is now becoming the "norm"!

Sorry if you felt I was bullying anyone. Wasn't my purpose but maybe I came across that way.

As far as false info not sure where you got that. I never said or implied that dressing down was the norm. HAL has stated that collared shirts and slacks are allowed for Gala Nights. That works for me and the friends I travel with. Others seem to have a problem with that and I was pointing out my position which I am allowed to do.

So I am done with this thread. This formal vs informal dress is an issue that will slowly evolve. I have no idea where it will end but the current path seems to point to a more relaxed atmosphere.

Take care and enjoy your cruises.

Dan

Curious. How do you define "dressing down"? Would someone, dressed to the Gala Night requirement, slacks and collared shirt, be considered "dressing down"?

It depends on the "Collared Shirt"! This thread started over a pic of man dressed in a Tommy Bahama Shirt and asking if it would be considered acceptable on Gala Nights. A Tommy Bahama shirt (which has a Collar) or a Collared Pullover as opposed to someone wearing a Dress Shirt and Tie is dressing down especially when the Majority are in Suits, Jackets, etc. It just doesn't suit (pardon the pun) the ambience!

As I said in my other post I don't care what anyone wears! I'm just saying what my experiences have been on my last three Cruises. Again, I was very surprised after reading these different Dress Code threads how dressed up the Majority was on my Carib cruise last week! I truly was expecting the opposite since I haven't sailed the Carib since last March!

I have been drawn into too many of these discussions. They are fruitless.

Those who want to never wear a tie and a jacket will try to convince newbies that no one wears a tie or a jacket. They point to HAL's "minimum" requirement of "collared shirts and slacks are required"

Those who want to maintain some semblance of formality will try to convince the newbies that the vast majority of men wear jackets and ties. They point to HAL's statement of "Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights".

It reminds me of the old (ancient) story of three blind men describing an elephant. One describing a an elephant is like a snake; one a wall and one a tree.

It depends which part of the elephant you are touching. All accurate, all wrong.

So it depends which part of the HAL website you want to follow.

But let me say this: If I were new to HAL, I would want to know what the requirement is. And I would also want to know what the actual practice is.

Sure, relatively speaking, wearing a silk short sleeved, untucked shirt and linen slacks is dressed down compared to a suit or a tuxedo. It is that resort wear comfort that appeals to me, frankly.

I don't think anyone in a suit or tuxedo is overdressed. According to the rules, I am dressed appropriately, they would be dressed appropriately. We are just dressed differently. I am sure some people may elect to wear a suit or tuxedo on a casual evening; I would not label them as inappropriate. They are within guidelines and doing what pleases them; all the better for them I say.

As I've stated, my main goal is to avoid any hassles from the staff, which looks like it won't be an issue. As to fitting in with the majority, that is not my goal, or my concern. It's not important to me. But an outfit I can wear from 4PM onwards until 1AM or 2AM and be comfortable in is important to me. It is nice to know I'll be accommodated without any issues.