Istanbul canceled?

Yankee_

I have been to Istanbul twice in my life: in 1971 and in 2015.

Historic city, sure.

BUT,

the place was one big dump back in 1971 and an even bigger dump in 2015. Especially if you visit off-the-beaten track places.

The only exception is their excellent and relatively cheap public transportation system which surprisingly is very clean.

We visited Istanbul and Kusadasi during Sept 2015 and it was not a dump

The tours e took (private) were fantastic and reasonable with excellent guides our trips to the Blue Mosque and the Cistern was amazing

It is a shame that present events are taking this experience away from new cruisers

To me it was kind of 'creepy'...to much in your face everywhere we went. Actually quite rude to tourists. This was my experience, no need to go back.

Wow...different experience that what we had last April. We just loved the Spice Bazaar with all its colour and smells as well as the Old Bazaar. We expected to be harangued but the opposite was true. We used a guide for our various tours. No one approached us unless we stopped and expressed an interest. Even on the streets generally, that was the case. However, we kept to the main tourist areas so the experience was likely different off the beaten track as it is in even a big Canadian city. Everyone has different expectations when travelling and that is the beauty of travel...something for everyone. Too bad the people who rely on tourism to support their families in the cities affected by terrorism (and there are many all over the world) are suffering because of the evil minority.

agree the bazaars were amazing as usual A vendor tried to sell us a carpet and when we explained we had purchased one 32 years ago and it was still magnificent He laughed and said Yes we make things too good. We then had apple tea with him and chatted for about 15 minutes a Lovely feeling Not creepy at all

We visited Istanbul and Kusadasi during Sept 2015 and it was not a dump

The tours e took (private) were fantastic and reasonable with excellent guides our trips to the Blue Mosque and the Cistern was amazing

It is a shame that present events are taking this experience away from new cruisers

Our cruises to Turkey, Istanbul included have been some of our best memories of traveling anywhere. Would be a shame to miss it but if your safety is an issue by all means it is not.

Crystal just announced that they are canceling all calls to Istanbul. I do think that most cruise lines will do the same either publicly or behind the scenes.

and Kusadasi too.....Feel very lucky that our cruise, while canceling istanbul, did not cancel Kusadasi.....it is an amazing place....

Hi All,

Cruise lines must do what they think is best for our safety, however its only

a matter of time before the news reports another attack, now could be a lone

wolf suicide attack, or a well planned attack like India etc,

Now if you try and list countries that been attacked and cross them of your list

you would not only not travel but immigrate to the North Pole, UK, Australia,

USA, Canada would all have to be crossed off, and could be attacked again.

Istanbul and Turkey have much to offer, would I travel there yes, would I

be 100% relaxed not likely, travelling with thousands of fellow tourists makes

me more likely to be a target so most likely will go out of season as part of a

small private tour.

yours Shogun

Cruise lines must think of the cost of being sued if they should have one of their cruisers hurt....it all comes down to the magnificent Dollar, Pound or Euro, and if were the underwriter, I would not go there either....Land tours who take small numbers of people to places where there could possibly be a threat....most of them make you sign a waiver....that being said, I lived in Turkey in the 50's and have been back numerous times.....but I certainly understand the cruise ship's point of view....

Edited by laughing husky
spelling