Passenger killed in IOS excursion bus crash

TBone2K

Anyone on Indy have anything further? Thoughts going out to families of those affected by this.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-6/news/news.cfm?ID=6752

A very sad occasion for all concerned. Everyone's nightmare.

A posting yesterday showed the bus - looked old . This brings up the question are buses and transport used on excursions required to have seat belts? If not I am reluctant to book and excursion in the Caribbean.

A posting yesterday showed the bus - looked old . This brings up the question are buses and transport used on excursions required to have seat belts? If not I am reluctant to book and excursion in the Caribbean.

transit buses in the US don't have seat belts nor do most school buses. This could have happened anywhere.

...A posting yesterday showed the bus - looked old . This brings up the question are buses and transport used on excursions required to have seat belts? If not I am reluctant to book and excursion in the Caribbean.
Do bus in the US have seat belts? Do SCHOOL BUSES in the US have seat belt? IME no and no. And you wonder if old buses in Jamaica have seat belts?

Do bus in the US have seat belts? Do SCHOOL BUSES in the US have seat belt? IME no and no. And you wonder if old buses in Jamaica have seat belts?[

Have travelled on tour buses in Europe - very strict seat belt requirements. Also, newer passenger buses in Canada also have seat belts. Did tours in California last Sept in 14 passenger vans - also required seat belts.

Not sure how easy it is to tell the age of the bus as it was reportedly hit by a dump truck and then rolled over. Per the picture that was posted, the resulting damage would potentially make any vehicle look old. Most of the excursion buses that we've seen at the pick up point in Falmouth looked relatively new and in good condition.

Nonetheless it is a tragic situation and prayers to those involved.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We live in Minnesota. The Minneapolis StarTribune newspaper reports this morning that the deceased mother, 32, and her injured daughter, 9, are residents of suburban Minneapolis. The mother died while being treated in a hospital in Jamaica and the girl is still in the hospital there with critical injuries.

The crash occurred when a Freightliner truck traveling in the opposite direction of the bus failed to stay in the proper lane and then struck the bus.

The husband and father is a minister at a local church.

Rip to those who lost there lives. Myself and my dad and a number of others had a lucky escape in st Thomas Royal didn't care and didn't want to hear about how dangerous and sub standard the bus we were on was the tour was a mess from start to finish