Info needed on booking airfare with a cruise.

If one wants HAL to provide airfare with a cruise, do you have to commit buying the airfare on the cruise booking, or can you call later and then have HAL find the airfare.

The reason being, that one can cancel a cruise booking before the final due date at no charge, but not so with airfare, right.

Thanks for any info...

I just did this the past week...I am holding air, the base fare is guaranteed, with my cruise; both to be paid at final payment date. This is a FLEX fare. I can drop the air (either or both segments, get them to reprice, or change flights with no extra fees)

RESTRICTED fare, which often can be cheaper, must be paid at time of booking air, and I believe then you have to pay for cruise AND air .....

Different airlines have different arrangements with HAL through Flight Ease - my flights had no restricted fare offerings.

You can put a deposit on your cuise, and look into air later, but taking a restricted fare will cause you to HAVE TO PAY THE ENTIRE TRIP IN FULL. I would probably look into a flex fare for now, and closer to final payment, have them price a restricted (if available) fare.

my flex fare is already at LEAST $300 cheaper than the CHEAPEST ( although not great with connections) I can find elsewhere.

Usually I book my own flights, but this was too good to pass up, so I am holding air with HAL.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

wI just did this the past week...I am holding air, the base fare is guaranteed, with my cruise; both to be paid at final payment date. This is a FLEX fare. I can drop the air (either or both segments, get them to reprice, or change flights with no extra fees)

n

RESTRICTED fare, which often can be cheaper, must be paid at time of booking air, and I believe then you have to pay for cruise AND air .....

Different airlines have different arrangements with HAL through Flight Ease - my flights had no restricted fare offerings.

You can put a deposit on your cuise, and look into air later, but taking a restricted fare will cause you to HAVE TO PAY THE ENTIRE TRIP IN FULL. I would probably look into a flex fare for mow, and closer to final payment, have them price a restricted (if available) fare.

my fkex fare is already $300 cheaper than the CHEAPEST ( although not great with connections) I can find elsewhere, with the best options for connecting flights ( going to cruise non-stop, coming home one layover for 2 hours only) . With the better options, I am saving even more with HAL flight Ease.

Usually I book my own flights, but this was too good to pass up, so I am holding air with HAL.

Carol

When we booked our air through HAL we found the Flex rate to be cheaper than the Restricted (which didn't make sense to me but I wasn't arguing ). HOWEVER, keep in mind that since your flight info isn't "final" until you make final payment, there is a chance that the Flex fare can go up (or, if you are lucky, down). Since my Flex rate was hundreds less, I just kept checking on the rate every so often and luckily it didn't change before we made final payment. But, Flex does mean that it isn't locked so your price could change from what you are originally quoted.

(

You are exactly right! I've tried to convince others that, according to HAL's own contract with Flight Ease, if you book flex, the price and availability of the flight isn't guaranteed until you pay the air and cruise in full. Others have differed with me on this, but I've got a copy of the contract and that's what it says.

Having said that, our TA also found the Flex Fare was less expensive than the Restricted (one way first class Philadelphia to Barcelona was $1,200 flex and $2000 Restricted). Since the fare and availability isn't guaranteed until the cruise and air is booked in full, we went ahead and paid.

With flex you CAN wait until cruise final payment, but the price and availability of your flight can change.

with flex fare, I was told the BASE fare is guaranteed, just other charges could change.

Carol

Well.....make someone put that in writing for you, if that is what you have been told. I'm afraid that you have been mislead or just given unclear info. If rates go up to HAL for a Flex fare and you have not paid in full yet, your price will go up according. I checked my fare very 3 weeks and as I said, was lucky that there wasn't a change. But, unlike Restricted, your price is not a lock until final payment is made

Well.....make someone put that in writing for you, if that is what you have been told. I'm afraid that you have been mislead or just given unclear info. If rates go up to HAL for a Flex fare and you have not paid in full yet, your price will go up according. I checked my fare very 3 weeks and as I said, was lucky that there wasn't a change. But, unlike Restricted, your price is not a lock until final payment is made

just had my TA look at my fare, to price it now would be $18 more (2 people), but my fare did not change on my invoice...perhaps if I were to be ready to pay it, I would have to pay $18 extra?

Carol

Maybe I am misunderstanding this conversation but, for me. . .

I have booked my cruise and flights through HAL. I have paid for my flights in full and even have a booking number with Delta - where I was able to go and chose our seats.

I have NOT paid for the cruise in full - that needs to be done by May 2nd.

So, you do NOT have to pay for the cruise and flight in full at the time of booking - just the flights.

And the price of the flights is NOT going to change for me (probably just the times, since airlines like to do that).

Pat

Admittedly we're in Europe and therefore may or may not be different approach.

We booked a Med cruise including flights, and the flexible flights were cheaper than the restricted ones. This I believe is because flexible flights come from the HAL block booking with an airline and therefore HAL can allocate them as they see fit up to the point that they ticket them with the airline. This is usually at final payment. Ours currently show confirmed (unticketed).

For restricted fares they are bought at the lowest price that airlines are offering them when you look, and which are non-refundable. Hence once you commit, you have to pay and can't make changes.

Our flexible fares are confirmed, and itemised on our invoice, appear in the airlines system, and so long as we don't change them are fixed at the price. I've just read our confirmation details and that is what it says for us.

As I say this may or may not be the same for those who book through the US part of HAL though.

just had my TA look at my fare, to price it now would be $18 more (2 people), but my fare did not change on my invoice...perhaps if I were to be ready to pay it, I would have to pay $18 extra?

Carol

Hey CJcruzer. I am certainly no expert but when we booked our Flex tickets, they made it clear to me that I could NOT pay for tickets by themselves in full. (I could do so if purchasing restricted) but, the Flex ticket was added to my total and once my final payment was made to HAL, then they were a done deal. But, if the price of the airfare changed before that happened, they would change my price. Even went on to say that they rarely see more than a 10% increase but that is a promise or anything. However, since the flex rate was so much better, I wasn't worried because they would have to raise the price hundreds to even get to the best price I had found. Over 3 months, my price never changed. All I was suggesting, is that if you have info different than that, get it in writing in an email or something in order to cover yourself. We all know that the info we get on the phone from HAL (and some TA) can vary greatly. Just trying to help....

On another note, although it all worked out in the end, stay on top of your flight and keep checking on it right up until the time you leave. (Others on here have suggested doing that regardless of how you booked it) but 4 days before we were to fly to Barcelona, I called HAL because I couldn't pull my flight up anymore. They had CANCELLED my booking (flight, not cruise). I kid you not!!! Said it was a "qlich" in the system and they haven't ever seen it happen before but......I was 4 days out and no longer had flights! After several hours (and the beginnings of an ulcer, they finally got me booked on totally different flights and even booked me business class on the flight back to say "we are sorry" so, it all worked out great in end but I later thought, what would have happened if I had shown up in Atlanta, went up to check in and found out I had no flight???!!:eek:

I'm glad you got a great price on your tickets and I'm sure it will all work out!

Hey CJcruzer. I am certainly no expert but when we booked our Flex tickets, they made it clear to me that I could NOT pay for tickets by themselves in full. (I could do so if purchasing restricted) but, the Flex ticket was added to my total and once my final payment was made to HAL, then they were a done deal. But, if the price of the airfare changed before that happened, they would change my price. Even went on to say that they rarely see more than a 10% increase but that is a promise or anything. However, since the flex rate was so much better, I wasn't worried because they would have to raise the price hundreds to even get to the best price I had found. Over 3 months, my price never changed. All I was suggesting, is that if you have info different than that, get it in writing in an email or something in order to cover yourself. We all know that the info we get on the phone from HAL (and some TA) can vary greatly. Just trying to help....

On another note, although it all worked out in the end, stay on top of your flight and keep checking on it right up until the time you leave. (Others on here have suggested doing that regardless of how you booked it) but 4 days before we were to fly to Barcelona, I called HAL because I couldn't pull my flight up anymore. They had CANCELLED my booking (flight, not cruise). I kid you not!!! Said it was a "qlich" in the system and they haven't ever seen it happen before but......I was 4 days out and no longer had flights! After several hours (and the beginnings of an ulcer, they finally got me booked on totally different flights and even booked me business class on the flight back to say "we are sorry" so, it all worked out great in end but I later thought, what would have happened if I had shown up in Atlanta, went up to check in and found out I had no flight???!!:eek:

I'm glad you got a great price on your tickets and I'm sure it will all work out!

thanks for the info...... I definitely will keep an eye on my flights, as something similar happened to me a few years ago with a different cruise company....and I spent the day I was supposed to pack, on the phone with the airlines. Seems they changed the time of the flight and with the adjustment, I would not even have landed in time for my connector! :eek: Spent the entire day on the phone and finally got it fixed, with a nice airline rep switching me at no extra cost to the direct flight, and bumped up to higher class. But what a nerve racker!

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

with flex fare, I was told the BASE fare is guaranteed, just other charges could change.

Carol

And the availability isn't guaranteed either until paid in full. We figured we have to pay for the cruise and flight eventually, why not just go ahead and pay now and not have to worry about possible price and/or availability changes?

Edited by jerseygirl3

If one wants HAL to provide airfare with a cruise, do you have to commit buying the airfare on the cruise booking, or can you call later and then have HAL find the airfare.

The reason being, that one can cancel a cruise booking before the final due date at no charge, but not so with airfare, right.

Thanks for any info...

We booked a flex fare. HAL's arrangement with each airline is different, but this one guarantees the base fare but the taxes may go up. On this transatlantic one way fare there was only this option and not an option to pay the airline fee now. It will be paid at final, but airline and routing is guaranteed (unless of course the airline cancels the flight.)

I just did this the past week...I am holding air, the base fare is guaranteed, with my cruise; both to be paid at final payment date. This is a FLEX fare. I can drop the air (either or both segments, get them to reprice, or change flights with no extra fees)

You can put a deposit on your cuise, and look into air later, but taking a restricted fare will cause you to HAVE TO PAY THE ENTIRE TRIP IN FULL. I would probably look into a flex fare for now, and closer to final payment, have them price a restricted (if available) fare.

my flex fare is already at LEAST $300 cheaper than the CHEAPEST ( although not great with connections) I can find elsewhere.

Carol

Hi, I just read your post. Exactly what we have been told on more than one call to HAL by us or our agent.

We have the same type of booking. It was the only option but great because we could also contact the airline and select our seats, but do not pay until final. Best of both worlds.

This is a one way transatlantic and this way we could use FFmiles for one with the other ticket being held through HAL.

The savings is about $2,000.00 on one ticket.

Edited by Jade13

When we booked our air through HAL we found the Flex rate to be cheaper than the Restricted (which didn't make sense to me but I wasn't arguing ). HOWEVER, keep in mind that since your flight info isn't "final" until you make final payment, there is a chance that the Flex fare can go up (or, if you are lucky, down). Since my Flex rate was hundreds less, I just kept checking on the rate every so often and luckily it didn't change before we made final payment. But, Flex does mean that it isn't locked so your price could change from what you are originally quoted.

In our case the base fare is guaranteed, but taxes could go up. It wouldn't be much since right now they are about $6.00! This is a FLEX fare.

Edited by Jade13

Carol

Exactly. Our BASE fare, airline, and routing are guaranteed. It may be different with different airlines.

The price is right on our invoice and airline has us in their system and we could select our seats. They told us HAL pays for all of them at the same time.

This is with Alitalia by the way.

Edited by Jade13

Exactly. Our BASE fare, airline, and routing are guaranteed. It may be different with different airlines.

The price is right on our invoice and airline has us in their system and we could select our seats. They told us HAL pays for all of them at the same time.

This is with Alitalia by the way.

I guess I'm being cautious and taking my TA's advice to go ahead and pay now to guarantee everything. We've had problems in the past (not with HAL, but with American Airlines through Celebrity's Choice Air). First they inexplicably cancelled our reservation (we had already selected our seats, and our friends, who were sitting in front of us noticed our seats were available and alerted us). I can't tell you what we had to go through to reinstate our reservation. Then shortly before we were due to fly, they bumped my husband off the flight and changed my seat (this was in First Class!). Despite numerous calls made by us and Celebrity, it took us driving to Philadelphia and standing our ground until they put my husband back on the flight.

So call me skeptical....

So if you pay for the flights and cruise months before final payment, will HAL honor pre-final payment price drops?

good question, technically they should - but the fact that there is air attached may cancel out the usual practice of repricing before final payment...It is a good question to pose, and I would think to ask a few different sources : a few different calls to HAL.

Carol

good question, technically they should - but the fact that there is air attached may cancel out the usual practice of repricing before final payment...It is a good question to pose, and I would think to ask a few different sources : a few different calls to HAL.

Carol

We got such a great price for the cruise, I'm not worried about a price reduction.