Adult Beverage Package

collie1228

Sailing on Star from Tampa in April and we took the Adult Beverage Package freebie, which seems like a great deal. How do they control it on the ship? Do you still sign for drinks or do they give you a bracelet like the all inclusive hotels do? Despite the $189 gratuity paid up-front, this seems like a great cost saving for us. Anyone have a comment?

There is a sticker they put on your card.

Break even point for #drinks per day to pay for itself (if you buy it outright) is something like 12-13/day. If you drink more than that, yes, it's a cost saver. If you get it as a promo, it's a good deal, if you drink :)

Break even point for #drinks per day to pay for itself (if you buy it outright) is something like 12-13/day. If you drink more than that, yes, it's a cost saver. If you get it as a promo, it's a good deal, if you drink :)

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but the break even point is much less. Beer is $8.20 and a cocktail runs about $11, with the gratuity, so that would be about 8 beers, or 6 mixed to break even.

On our recent Gem, the cards were preprinted with UBP so they knew what you had. They will only let you get 1 drink at a time, so it you wanted two drinks, you would need to bring two cards with the UBP.

There is no limit on the number of drinks, but you can get only one drink at a time. I don't know if that restriction applies to my significant other as well (in other words, I don't know if I can get a drink for her and I from the bartender). We got the package included in our cruise price for the 18% gratuity only.

There is no limit on the number of drinks, but you can get only one drink at a time. I don't know if that restriction applies to my significant other as well (in other words, I don't know if I can get a drink for her and I from the bartender). We got the package included in our cruise price for the 18% gratuity only.

Yes, you can get more than one drink at a time if you have both cards. If the bartender doesn't know you then they may need the other person to be there.

If they know you then you should be fine going by yourself. Often you don't even need the other card once they get to know you.

We were on the Sky in November and still had to sign for every drink and while still in port had to pay Miami tax on the drinks there. We kept all our receipts just for fun and DH added them up when we came home and we drank $813.00 worth of wine beer and mixed fun cocktails..it wasn't hard to do at all...it was really fun trying drinks and wines that I probably wouldn't have purchased because of the price. Have fun!

For me, the break even point was the price of the next most expensive promotion (dining package in my case). Of course, they were all promotions anyway.

As long as I drink more than the dining package would have cost (although I think I will enjoy the UBP more than the UDP) I come out ahead. That's how I look at it.