Silly question re driving on 95 to Port Canaveral

Coastalbreezes

I know this may sound a bit crazy, but I have rarely driven on 95 in Florida just because it seems like everyone drives like maniacs down here and just the thought of it makes me rather nervous.

Next month, I'll be driving solo to Port Canaveral from the Lauderdale area (approx. 2-1/2 hours drive) and was wondering how bad -- or easy -- the drive on 95 really is.

Also, for parking right at the NCL terminal, is it well marked and easy to find?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Tracy

I know this may sound a bit crazy, but I have rarely driven on 95 in Florida just because it seems like everyone drives like maniacs down here and just the thought of it makes me rather nervous.

Next month, I'll be driving solo to Port Canaveral from the Lauderdale area (approx. 2-1/2 hours drive) and was wondering how bad -- or easy -- the drive on 95 really is.

Also, for parking right at the NCL terminal, is it well marked and easy to find?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Tracy

Depending on what time you are driving. Rush hours near West Palm and Ft Lauderdale can get hectic. Off hours are usually a breeze. No different that any other highway in populated areas. Give yourself plenty of time. And don't sweat. Speed limit is 70 mph.

Can't help re. parking at NCL. Unless it is within the port than parking is not a problem. If off site not so much.

The turnpike will be an easier drive through south Fl. At Fort Pierce you can move over to I-95. The remainder of your drive should be a breeze.

PC is an easy port to get around. Signs wil point you in the right direction.

Just did that drive this weekend (Fort Lauderdale to Port Orange just south of Daytona Beach on Saturday and back Sunday). There was no problem with construction on I-95 although one stretch of about 14 miles (near Vero Beach I think) is marked at 60 mph with signs that it was strictly enforced (everyone went 65 as opposed to 75 or more in the normal sections of the highway). Returning yesterday there were notices on the overhead informational signs beginning about 50 miles early that the entire highway southbound was blocked at Bridge Road (why they didn't give a mile marker is unfathomable to me because how many drivers know the name of each exit on I-95?). Turns out that was near Hobe Sound so we got on the Turnpike at Fort Pierce and then returned to I-95 at Jupiter.

Assuming no accidents, the traffic will only be really heavy through Broward and Palm Beach counties (but of course the highway is at least 4 or 5 lanes wide in that portion) - get through them and the exits are further apart and the traffic lighter (but then there are only 2 or 3 lanes). If you do use the Turnpike in Broward, Palm Beach and Martin counties, just remember to get off at Fort Pierce!

Edited by capriccio

Why not just use US-1 all the way? Probably won't add but 2 or 3 hours to the drive and you'll avoid the nasty highway .... :rolleyes:

Planning on leaving around 7:30 or so to avoid major traffic.

ummmm ... if this will be a week day, leaving at 7:30 will put you on the road during the morning get to work rush .... just about the worst possible time to leave ..... I'd move up an hour

Why not get a room in Canaveral for the nite b4 and drive up mid day? This way you can avoid most of the crazies ... with every mile north you go on 95 the traffic becomes less stressful.

BTW I an not in agreement with the "turnpike is better" crowd. Last time I tried the turnpike I quickly went BACK to 95. It was JUST AS CRAZY and cost tolls too. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Why not just use US-1 all the way? Probably won't add but 2 or 3 hours to the drive and you'll avoid the nasty highway .... :rolleyes:

Planning on leaving around 7:30 or so to avoid major traffic.

ummmm ... if this will be a week day, leaving at 7:30 will put you on the road during the morning get to work rush .... just about the worst possible time to leave ..... I'd move up an hour

Why not get a room in Canaveral for the nite b4 and drive up mid day? This way you can avoid most of the crazies ... with every mile north you go on 95 the traffic becomes less stressful.

BTW I an not in agreement with the "turnpike is better" crowd. Last time I tried the turnpike I quickly went BACK to 95. It was JUST AS CRAZY and cost tolls too. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

It will be a Saturday to Saturday cruise, so I thought 7:30 departure would work fine.

P.S. I often get to my destinations via US 1 or Dixie Highway lol. But think I'll pass on those routes for this particular trip!

Tracy

btw

how hard is the drive ...

well either straight up 95 to 528 then east 'til you see the BIG signs for the port

or turnpike and transfer to 95 and then same deal at 528

or straight up US1 to 528

at the port entrance are BIG electronic signs telling you where to go for each ship and each terminal has its own parking (if you choose to park at the port; you can park 10 minutes away for half the price)

see parkcruise.com or parkportcanaveral.com

and if doing this on Sat the turnpike advantage is gone IMO as traffic volume is already less

Edited by Capt_BJ

I'm also of the opinion to head up the day before. You just never know what can happen when traveling on a tighter schedule. Granted Friday afternoon/evening traffic will be heavier than Saturday morning, but for not a lot more than port parking costs, you can get a hotel near the port for Friday night that will include parking for the week.

And I vote for A1A all the way lol