Single cruiser

Bogof1

I'm doing a cruise on my own in Feb , booked a single cabin and its guaranted so am wondering when it will be allocated. Cruise 4 weeks time. I know that it may not be allocated til sailing but wish to apply OBC as a gift as do not have a personal credit card but not having a cabin number is this going to cause a problem?

I'm doing a cruise on my own in Feb , booked a single cabin and its guaranted so am wondering when it will be allocated. Cruise 4 weeks time. I know that it may not be allocated til sailing but wish to apply OBC as a gift as do not have a personal credit card but not having a cabin number is this going to cause a problem?

Check on your cruise personaliser. One doesn't always get an email to say a cabin has been allocated. Don't print your suitcase labels off until a couple of days before though ,in case the cabin number changes.

As long as you have your booking ref number you should be able to put the obs gift through without an actual cabin number.

Normally if you do not register a card they do like a wad of cash to be deposited against the account. Instead of doing it as a gift card, Could you possibly ask for cash, and when you board, go to reception and deposit the cash with them.

We used one once. I think with a debit card they are more worried there will not be enough money in the account to clear the bill at the end of the cruise.

Wouldn't it work the same as a credit card? They do checks each night I think. Maybe put a reserve transaction through like hotels do for extras?

We have always registered a debit card. We don't have a credit card and anyway don't they charge extra to use a credit card?

No, they only charge extra if you are using to book a cruise when ashore, for setting an on-board account there is o charge and it's also useful to know that this also applies if you book a cruise onboard - no charge.

Wouldn't it work the same as a credit card? They do checks each night I think. Maybe put a reserve transaction through like hotels do for extras?

A credit card means you can run up a huge great bill, the card would always cover it.

With a debit card there is only the money in the account that it is attached to, so if you ran up a huge great bill, there would be the risk that the money may not be there to take it.

Pando may possibly keep on doing the amount each day, not sure what they would do with a debit card if they tried one day and it was refused.

I guess that would mean a call from reception.

I'm doing a cruise on my own in Feb , booked a single cabin and its guaranteed so am wondering when it will be allocated. Cruise 4 weeks time. I know that it may not be allocated til sailing but wish to apply OBC as a gift as do not have a personal credit card but not having a cabin number is this going to cause a problem?

I think you will find that if you apply OBC as a gift it is applied to a booking as in HGB6R etc. i.e. your booking. They will then apply the booking to a cabin as and when they decide which cabin you are in. My understanding of guaranteed single cabin bookings is that whereas you will almost always end up in a single cabin, if these run out on a slow selling cruise, they may allocate you a double at the price you paid as it is contracted as a minimum grade guarantee. This would be regarded as a free upgrade.

Regards John

I dont have any loyalty bits as only 2nd cruise with p and o. So that not an issue.have pre paid a trip so will prob put a small amount of obc on as a gift and register debit card at check in. My only small concern debit cards not covered like credit cards if anything goes wrong ?????

I dont have any loyalty bits as only 2nd cruise with p and o. So that not an issue.have pre paid a trip so will prob put a small amount of obc on as a gift and register debit card at check in. My only small concern debit cards not covered like credit cards if anything goes wrong ?????

Visa debit cards seem to have the same legal backing insurancewise as visa credit cards have. Obviously if you preload an amount of OBC which you calculate to be about 80% of your anticipated spend; in consideration of what Host Sharon has commented, then leave the balance to be paid by debit card, you should therefore have bases covered.

My understanding of the operation of debit cards is that the cruise line will "ring fence" a notional amount based on how your daily spending goes beforehand in anticipation of actual spend. It sort of reserves this amount; the bank is aware of it and then they take the correct amount as actually spent when the time comes. This is because you do not have a known credit card limit as you would with a actual credit card. Should there be a worry to the cruise line at the first stage they simply contact you on board and ask you to visit reception.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

As for cabin being allocated, there doesn't seem to be a definite time. We are going with my parents on 30th January and we got our cabin number 2 weeks ago and my parents still haven't got theirs and it's only 11 days off!

To keep a good overview of how finances are going on a cruise you may attend the Reception Desk at any time and request staff provide you a printed Statement of your On Board Account. You can see on this your current outstanding balance and regularly occurring charges like gratuities to help with budgeting. You can do this as often as you wish.

You can also pay in cash to reduce the outstanding amount either Pounds Sterling or foreign currency appropriate to your cruise itinerary (Euros or US Dollars). You wont necessarily get the best rate but I have done it to dispose of my Euros after the final port and reduce the final payment.

Regards John