Antigua - Taxi's?

beshears

Do the Antigua Taxi's have a "set price" pp, or can we negotiate with them, before using them?

The taxis were very reasonably priced. Just back from our cruise. It was $4pp to the Halcyon Cove Resort and it seemed that most beaches and places to go were about $4pp. Also, the guy on the way back charged us $12 for the whole cab ride.

Very inexpensive to get a taxi here.

debbie

When you disembark, walk with purpose and go straight through the pier area and you will come to a taxi dispatch stand. You will see some drivers there in orange shirts. Go straight to the dispatcher, tell him where you are going, and he will tell you the price in front of a driver so there is no discrepancy later. That is the rate, there is no negotiating, and as the previous poster said, it is very reasonable in Antigua.

You will also run into drivers and guides who are not wearing the orange shirts... I will just say you take your chances with those guys. ;)

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't why you guys say taxi rate is reasonable on any of the Caribbean island. Basically the rate is $1/minute anywhere you go. That's $60/hour.

I don't know what these taxi drivers do before the become taxi drivers. May be there were lawyers and doctors before.

They rather stand there and chat instead make more trips at cheaper rate.

Our experience with the taxi service was not great. We went to dispatch. Got a taxi drive "Zephy" who seemed super nice, helpful and was to be with us for the day. The day started out great but he actually left us at the beach! Calling taxi dispatch was of no assistance. A taxi driver with the non-orange shirt happened to have room in his taxi van and got us back to the cruise port. Not a great experience so I say be aware.

I don't why you guys say taxi rate is reasonable on any of the Caribbean island. Basically the rate is $1/minute anywhere you go. That's $60/hour...

Don't pay the driver until you get back to the dock. Otherwise you would not see the driver again.

You seem to be trying to use scare tactics on this board. Did you not have a good experience or something? My comments come directly from a GREAT experience with a taxi driver, who absolutely came back to get us and he was even early - waiting for us. Please do not try to scare people who want to use cabs in Antigua. It's not cool.

You seem to be trying to use scare tactics on this board. Did you not have a good experience or something? My comments come directly from a GREAT experience with a taxi driver, who absolutely came back to get us and he was even early - waiting for us. Please do not try to scare people who want to use cabs in Antigua. It's not cool.

God bless you if you only have good experience with taxi drivers. For me I had taxi rides in Europe, Asia, N. America, I would say 50% of the time taxi drivers try to cheat me either to setting a higher tariff rate, or meter does not work, make a detour ( this is a common trick), cheat at toll booth, drop me at a wrong location.

BTW, are you related to taxi industry ? Seems you are try to protect taxi drivers when we all know there are many bad ones out there.

OK, so if I gathered up the "info" right, from some of you who were posting, you said to either get a Taxi driver through one of the non- orange men shirts, or make sure we DO NOT pay until they take us to our destination, right?

God bless you if you only have good experience with taxi drivers... BTW, are you related to taxi industry ? Seems you are try to protect taxi drivers when we all know there are many bad ones out there.

Thank you, He has blessed me greatly but we have had unscrupulous taxi drivers as well. And no, I am not in the taxi industry.

OK, so if I gathered up the "info" right, from some of you who were posting, you said to either get a Taxi driver through one of the non- orange men shirts, or make sure we DO NOT pay until they take us to our destination, right?

beshears, you started this thread asking about taxi drivers. Since we are just back a few months ago, I gave you my advice and experience. You seemed fine with that until someone else came here and said something contrary to what I had said. I can do no more.

Have fun in Antigua - it is beautiful there.

I am not sure if I can use 'great experience' to describe a taxi ride. I had 3 outstanding service 1) in Tokyo, driver wore uniform and white gloves. 2) in Stockholm Sweden. I rode in a Volvo, driver wore uniform. 3) in Indonesia, I rode in M-Benz E-class, driver wore uniform and hat. The best part: they did not accept tip and they were very polite.

Edited by sysy007

• 2 weeks later...

I would not use the orange shirt drivers. We told him the beach we wanted to go to and what we were looking for and he convinced us to use the beach that he was taking others to. When we arrived there we knew that the beach was not for us, so we told him we wanted to go somewhere else. He said I will be back in a couple hours and left us there. We went up from Ffyes beach to a restaurant and told them we wanted a taxi and the server got us a different taxi co. He took us the Jolly beach which is more what we were looking for and told us he would be back to get us at a certain time and he was there. Go further in at the cruise port and use the gray van taxis not the orange shirt ones. Fast talkers and they drop you off at beaches that have people that they know renting our chairs and umbrellas whether it is where you want or not. Ffrye beach was beautiful, but not what we wanted. Jolly beach was beautiful and just what we wanted

I would not use the orange shirt drivers. We told him the beach we wanted to go to and what we were looking for and he convinced us to use the beach that he was taking others to....

So he "convinced" you and you are upset with him? That makes no sense. You knew where you wanted to go and you allowed him to take you elsewhere. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. You had a choice. We had a choice in Barbodos - our cab driver desperately wanted to take us to The Boatyard because he gets a commission for every customer he drops off there. We said No, we want to go to the Hilton where we have a day pass reservation. Well, he didn't say no - he took us where we told him we wanted to go.

WLBSKM, thanks for getting back on this information on who to get to take us around. I have been making notes, so I added NOT to do the orange shirt men, but look for the gray vans.

*sigh* I guess I give up. You asked for advice and I gave you mine earlier in this thread, which you seemed to understand and be very thankful for; we went to Antigua just a few short months ago and had an excellent experience with a cab driver from the authorized dispatcher.

If you want to go out on your own, then I hope it works out for you. :)

My original reply to you, again:

When you disembark, walk with purpose and go straight through the pier area and you will come to a taxi dispatch stand. You will see some drivers there in orange shirts. Go straight to the dispatcher, tell him where you are going, and he will tell you the price in front of a driver so there is no discrepancy later. That is the rate, there is no negotiating, and as the previous poster said, it is very reasonable in Antigua.

You will also run into drivers and guides who are not wearing the orange shirts... I will just say you take your chances with those guys. ;)

Have fun!

Edited by Langley Cruisers

So he "convinced" you and you are upset with him? That makes no sense. You knew where you wanted to go and you allowed him to take you elsewhere. I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense. You had a choice. We had a choice in Barbodos - our cab driver desperately wanted to take us to The Boatyard because he gets a commission for every customer he drops off there. We said No, we want to go to the Hilton where we have a day pass reservation. Well, he didn't say no - he took us where we told him we wanted to go.

*sigh* I guess I give up. You asked for advice and I gave you mine earlier in this thread, which you seemed to understand and be very thankful for; we went to Antigua just a few short months ago and had an excellent experience with a cab driver from the authorized dispatcher.

out for you. :)

If you want to go out on your own, then I hope it works

My original reply to you, again:

Well Langley cruisers you do not have to be so rude. We had a bad experience with them. We told them what we wanted and he said the beach he was taking us to was just that. We trusted him and when we got there we told him no this is not what we are looking for. He just took off and said I will be back at 2:00 for you, well we will never know if he came back because we found another much nicer gray taxi cab driver that took us to a beach that was what we wanted , and came back for us on time to take us back to the cruise ship. So maybe convinced was not the best word...to each their own...

I would not use the orange shirt drivers. We told him the beach we wanted to go to and what we were looking for and he convinced us to use the beach that he was taking others to. When we arrived there we knew that the beach was not for us, so we told him we wanted to go somewhere else. He said I will be back in a couple hours and left us there. We went up from Ffyes beach to a restaurant and told them we wanted a taxi and the server got us a different taxi co. He took us the Jolly beach which is more what we were looking for and told us he would be back to get us at a certain time and he was there. Go further in at the cruise port and use the gray van taxis not the orange shirt ones. Fast talkers and they drop you off at beaches that have people that they know renting our chairs and umbrellas whether it is where you want or not. Ffrye beach was beautiful, but not what we wanted. Jolly beach was beautiful and just what we wanted

What did you like about jolly beach? We are going there in a few weeks....did you get the day pass at the resort or just go to the beach? How much was it to rent chairs?

b

Not knowing much about Antigua's beaches, can you share with me the difference between the two, taxi cost for two to either, and how about food, drinks, prices, and bathroom/shower facilities?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Leaving on a cruise in 3 weeks and it's time to plan and make final decisions. Thanks :)

b

Not knowing much about Antigua's beaches, can you share with me the difference between the two, taxi cost for two to either, and how about food, drinks, prices, and bathroom/shower facilities?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Leaving on a cruise in 3 weeks and it's time to plan and make final decisions. Thanks :)

Antigua has several beaches. I originally wanted to go to Valley Church Beach which I read great reviews on. But as I stated above our fast talking taxi driver said Ffrye beach was the place to go. Just like most beaches there it was beautiful but pretty remote. Only one restaurant bar up a hill and nothing else. Chairs were $10.00 a piece. If that is what you like it was beautiful, but another taxi driver took us to just as beautiful of a beach that was at Jolly Resort. The chairs were $5.00 to rent and there were beach bars and restaurants with facilities. Not for sure about the showers, but I think you can buy a day pass to the resort. It was a busier beach, but more what I picture a Caribbean beach to be like and we wanted the activity. We were never crowded though and never hassled by vendors, but there were hut stores if that is what you like and places to rent snorkeling gear. It is all in what you want but I like the resort area better, beautiful area. I can not remember the taxi cab prices. The first one did seem a little high and beach food and drink prices were reasonable on Jolly beach. We got most of our drinks at Sandras Beach bar. Just a little hut bar. They had WIFI for $3.00 but he did put the code in all our phones. The bar restaurant at Ffryes beach we did go up to for a minute while we waited for a cab. It was very nice and an awesome server that found us a new taxi driver, we had one drink there but the prices were high and would not wanted to pay that price all day.

Edited by wlbskm
Adding more information

Antigua has several beaches. I originally wanted to go to Valley Church Beach which I read great reviews on. But as I stated above our fast talking taxi driver said Ffrye beach was the place to go. Just like most beaches there it was beautiful but pretty remote. Only one restaurant bar up a hill and nothing else. Chairs were $10.00 a piece. If that is what you like it was beautiful, but another taxi driver took us to just as beautiful of a beach that was at Jolly Resort. The chairs were $5.00 to rent and there were beach bars and restaurants with facilities. Not for sure about the showers, but I think you can buy a day pass to the resort. It was a busier beach, but more what I picture a Caribbean beach to be like and we wanted the activity. We were never crowded though and never hassled by vendors, but there were hut stores if that is what you like and places to rent snorkeling gear. It is all in what you want but I like the resort area better, beautiful area. I can not remember the taxi cab prices. The first one did seem a little high and beach food and drink prices were reasonable on Jolly beach. We got most of our drinks at Sandras Beach bar. Just a little hut bar. They had WIFI for $3.00 but he did put the code in all our phones. The bar restaurant at Ffryes beach we did go up to for a minute while we waited for a cab. It was very nice and an awesome server that found us a new taxi driver, we had one drink there but the prices were high and would not wanted to pay that price all day.

Thank you very much! This is exactly the information that I was looking for when we visit. :)

What did you like about jolly beach? We are going there in a few weeks....did you get the day pass at the resort or just go to the beach? How much was it to rent chairs?

What we liked about Jolly beach was that it had more action. There were beach bars and hut stores, but vendors never hassled you. We did not get the resort pass but we might in the future. Looked like a great resort. Chairs were $5.00 I think we got 4 chairs and two umbrellas for $30.00. I think you can talk them down. Ours were the red umbrella renters. Both beaches were beautiful, but Jolly beach has more to do and less remote. Wish we had found it first and not wasted so much time driving to the other beach. It is about a 20 min. taxi ride but closer that Ffrye beach was. It is all in what you are looking for in a beach. We like fun, but not extra crowded beaches and that is what we found in Jolly Beach.