MSC's unbelievably cheap rates!

Rubeng724

Just did a mock booking for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard MSC Divina.. Our family of 8 (adults) can book 4 BALCONY staterooms for about $4,600. That's insanely cheap compared to other cruise lines! For instance, RCL's Allure of the Seas would cost us $7,700 and DCL's Disney Fantasy would cost us $15,000, both in 2 balcony staterooms (instead of 4 balconies if we book the Divina).

My question is: Why so cheap? Is MSC Divina a good ship? I know the ship's reviews aren't so hot, but I've read that the main reason why is because MSC isn't an American line, and passengers board expecting a different experience. If you HAD to compare MSC to an American cruise line, which one would you compare it to? I'm guessing Carnival, since it's also amongst the cheapest.

Edited by Rubeng724

It is MUCH better than Carnival. The ships are the most beautiful and the entertainment is the best at sea and food is subjective. Give it a try and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good to know!:D Is their entertainment really that good? Do they offer broadway-style shows like at RCL? :rolleyes:

Just did a mock booking for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard MSC Divina.. Our family of 8 (adults) can book 4 BALCONY staterooms for about $4,600. That's insanely cheap compared to other cruise lines! For instance, RCL's Allure of the Seas would cost us $7,700 and DCL's Disney Fantasy would cost us $15,000, both in 2 balcony staterooms (instead of 4 balconies if we book the Divina).

My question is: Why so cheap? Is MSC Divina a good ship? I know the ship's reviews aren't so hot, but I've read that the main reason why is because MSC isn't an American line, and passengers board expecting a different experience. If you HAD to compare MSC to an American cruise line, which one would you compare it to? I'm guessing Carnival, since it's also amongst the cheapest.

Haven't been on the Divina but we have enjoyed 3 MSC cruises. Very different style service and food. Service is not in your face, you need to signal a waiter if you want a drink, they will not ask you. Employees do not smile and play happy all the time. Stick to the Italian foods and it was all wonderful. Don't expect hunks of prime rib or thick chops. Entertainment was great but again, a bit different.

If you go with an open mind you can have a great time. If you start comparing everything, you might not be so happy.

Im going through the same dilemma as the OP. With the KSF AND the 2 for 1 balcony promo, the Divina is literally 1/2 the price for us compared to anything else we could do. I can say I have seen the ship in person (we docked next to it on my last cruise) and it looks great. From what I read I think (and could be way off) if you are going to compare it to another line, maybe Princess? I like Princess so maybe that is wishful thinking...Not trying to hijack, but can anyone confirm my hypothesis?

Im going through the same dilemma as the OP. With the KSF AND the 2 for 1 balcony promo, the Divina is literally 1/2 the price for us compared to anything else we could do. I can say I have seen the ship in person (we docked next to it on my last cruise) and it looks great. From what I read I think (and could be way off) if you are going to compare it to another line, maybe Princess? I like Princess so maybe that is wishful thinking...Not trying to hijack, but can anyone confirm my hypothesis?

I am trying to decide on whether to book the Divine too. Princess is our favorite line so your comparison to Princess is a positive for me. The only reason that I am considering another line is Princess isn't in the Caribbean at the end of May. The ship is beautiful. The only thing that I have seen so far that is a negative for me is food presentation. I know that might seem petty but I do enjoy the beautiful food displays. I guess as long as the foods good I could overlook the detail, lol. The 2 for 1 balcony special is hard to pass up. I am also trying to decide whether to pay the extra for the YC. It looks very nice and still a reasonable price compared to say Norwegians Haven. Can't anyone comment on a comparison of those two?

Love MSC but have also cruised with other cruise lines. The main difference and downside, for me, is that there are no real observation decks/bars/ or solarium, with frontal views. There is no way to access the "front of the ship". This is particularly true of the latest ships that have the Yacht Club. For example, if you compare the "Preziosa" with Celebrity Eclipse, you will see there is a Sky Observation Lounge. On the "Preziosa" there is nothing like that.

I must say, my husband wasn't all that fussed. For me, I will cruise MSC again (have booked Meraviglia) but wouldn't sail MSC if it were for a major celebration or unless I was staying in the Yacht Club!

[/b][/b]

Love MSC but have also cruised with other cruise lines. The main difference and downside, for me, is that there are no real observation decks/bars/ or solarium, with frontal views. There is no way to access the "front of the ship". This is particularly true of the latest ships that have the Yacht Club. For example, if you compare the "Preziosa" with Celebrity Eclipse, you will see there is a Sky Observation Lounge. On the "Preziosa" there is nothing like that.

I must say, my husband wasn't all that fussed. For me, I will cruise MSC again (have booked Meraviglia) but wouldn't sail MSC if it were for a major celebration or unless I was staying in the Yacht Club!

Would you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't sail MSC for a special celebration? I am considering booking for our 40th anniversary and don't want to regret it. I have spent two days reading and still haven't decided.

[/b][/b]

Would you mind elaborating on why you wouldn't sail MSC for a special celebration? I am considering booking for our 40th anniversary and don't want to regret it. I have spent two days reading and still haven't decided.

I know I'm not the one who posted this but I wouldn't pick MSC either for a special occasion unless maybe I was taking YC (which I haven't tried but has fab reviews). I have enjoyed my 3 cruises but I would pick Celebrity for a more upscale experience.

That being said, I'm back on these boards getting ready to book MSC cruise # 4 so I'm not against this cruise line.

I can't tell you how Divina compares to Princess; never cruised on Princess. I cruised on Divina in November to Panama Canal; it is a beautiful ship. I have cruised on RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Disney, and Norwegian, as well as Viking on the Rhine and Danube rivers. For entertainment, Divina was the best with very talented entertainers and a new show every night. For food, the Ultimate Dining Package on Norwegian Getaway was like eating in a 5 star restaurant each evening; I would rate Divina's MDR last of all the lines for food quality, their buffet (especially pizza) was better than MDR. For price, you can't beat Divina balcony rooms; just try to avoid one of the undersized balcony rooms. I did a review on our November cruise if you're interested. My wife and I are cruising on Divina April 23rd; we'll eat in the buffet when the MDR menu isn't appealing, and we'll try to avoid smokey areas of ship especially starboard side of pool deck. Hope this helps. For person looking for special occasion cruise, suggest Norwegian Getaway or Escape with special dinner in Cagney's Steakhouse.

We canceled our Royal Caribbean cruise for this summer in favor of the MSC Divina. $1,415 taxes included for a family of 4 in a Fantastica balcony! I priced out 14 different ships departing on the same weekend (Royal, Carnival, NCL and Disney) and NOTHING came even close to the price for the MSC Divina. Prices ranged from $2,800 for Carnival to over $7,000 for Disney.

Hi Shadow 205. Which ship are you thinking of sailing on? Are you thinking of booking the yacht club? Is it your first ever cruise?

Monicajay stated what I was going to add!! I love MSC and oft-times it is a LOT cheaper than other cruise lines. In particular, I like that we can take our little one for about £100 for a week, to the Med, during half-term. Added to that, the shows were simply spectacular.

For me I just don't like the fact that you have to pay a heck of a lot more, for a view, that is "free" on other lines. That is the main reason why I wouldn't book MSC for a special occasion.

We had sailed with Princess, NCL (Jade and epic), Cunard and Celebrity before our MSC ship and couldn't believe how much cheaper it was. Before

sailing on MSC, I couldn't find any non-yacht reviews so couldn't gauge what the differences could be. However, when we sailed on the Preziosa and Splendida we quickly saw why it was lot cheaper!

We sailed on the Armonia and Opera 2014. Both were fine but they didn't have the Yacht Club. We therefore witnessed glorious sail-in and outs, from the front of the ship, on the top deck. I think they have both been "stretched" so I don't know if that has affected access to the front of the ship, on the top deck. They may now have stopped access to all gusts unless you are in booked into an Aurea Spa cabin?

I know that on the Cunard they have the Grills (suites) and on the epic, they have the Haven). However the front views are totally accessible on Cunard. On NCL, from the Bridge. There are also some vantage points from the Garden cafe.

When pricing up, we compare the yacht club prices on MSC to a balcony (with free spa, drinks package, free serenity/solarium) on other lines. For us, that is a truer cost picture.

Our next cruise is on Harmony on 22nd May (we sailed on Quantum so looking forward to the views from the top deck and in the solarium)!

We also have the Costa Fascinosca booked for Christmas. Sailed with Costa before, which is similar to MSC but has free basic spa but more importantly for us, access to the top!!

As stated before, we are going on the Meragliva and really looking forward to that. In particular the kids club as they have a tie-in with Lego! However, I go knowing that accessing the front of the ship, will be a no for us, as we have an ocean view booked.

We canceled our Royal Caribbean cruise for this summer in favor of the MSC Divina. $1,415 taxes included for a family of 4 in a Fantastica balcony! I priced out 14 different ships departing on the same weekend (Royal, Carnival, NCL and Disney) and NOTHING came even close to the price for the MSC Divina. Prices ranged from $2,800 for Carnival to over $7,000 for Disney.

That is EXACTLY my situation. Frankly my first choice was going to be the NCL EPIC for the week we are looking at, but it would be over $1,000 more for the 4 of us. It might be "better" (we really liked the NCL cruises we have taken) But, unless the Divina sinks I can't see how it can be $1,000 worse.

Tapi and Yellow Dog, just go for the Divina and don't worry about it!!

Before our first MSC sailing I too didn't know what to expect but overall had a great time. There is lots to commend about MSC. The shows on Preziosa were not like Broadway shows but frankly much better!! For example there was an amazing Can Can show and flamenco. So good that there were standing ovations every night. The acrobatic show was out of this world and a couple of times, during the week, we went to both showings!

We, and our 6yr old, thought that Kids club outstanding. (Just as good as NCL. However on NCL they no longer have Nickolodeon. MSC hav Lego). If you don't already know. Legoland is big business in Europe. A day out can cost a bomb!.

For me, I think a lot of the lower pricing is due to food choice. For example, you won't find branded cereals for breakfast! We tried all permutations until we found what fitted for us. Maybe sometimes have room service instead of the buffet. Have lunch in the MDR instead of the buffet. Instead of the MDR in the evening, go to the buffet. (I think you get my point!).

You should just try MSC once and then if you don't like it, at least you won't have spent loads of dosh finding out!!

We have been on 4 MSC cruises , 1 Princess, 1 Norwegian and our last was Celebrity ! MSC is the most like Celebrity in the entertainment and beauty of the ship! It is shining and spotless. . However , it is a little more confusing to navigate as you have to go around the Haven to reach the dining room ! Also , some people want a promenade deck and it is lacking that.

We NEVER had a poor meal on MSC and the entertainment is amazing with big budget productions! We choose cruises on the time and price plus we like a longer cruise than 7 days which is why we tried other lines. We have been to most of the Caribbean ports and try to find a new one to see.

The price is no reflection of MSC quality believe me! You have won !! Some people do not like the cosmopolitan atmosphere of MSC . I hear them complain about the announcements in several languages!! As Canadians , we are use to many cultures and enjoy the diversity .( feels like we are really away). The Divina really tries to cater to American tastes. It has a grill station in the buffet where we had the best sweet potato fries ever!! Of course, their pizza and Italian food is the best. There is an American side to the menu. Their beef meals were always tender . They tend to use olive oil etc more and their food is healthier and light as a result..

The lower price is why I say it is the best kept secret in town - Celebrity at a bargain price! Enjoy it now as people are starting to catch on !!😀

We have been on 4 MSC cruises , 1 Princess, 1 Norwegian and our last was Celebrity ! MSC is the most like Celebrity in the entertainment and beauty of the ship! It is shining and spotless. . However , it is a little more confusing to navigate as you have to go around the Haven to reach the dining room ! Also , some people want a promenade deck and it is lacking that.

We NEVER had a poor meal on MSC and the entertainment is amazing with big budget productions! We choose cruises on the time and price plus we like a longer cruise than 7 days which is why we tried other lines. We have been to most of the Caribbean ports and try to find a new one to see.

The price is no reflection of MSC quality believe me! You have won !! Some people do not like the cosmopolitan atmosphere of MSC . I hear them complain about the announcements in several languages!! As Canadians , we are use to many cultures and enjoy the diversity .( feels like we are really away). The Divina really tries to cater to American tastes. It has a grill station in the buffet where we had the best sweet potato fries ever!! Of course, their pizza and Italian food is the best. There is an American side to the menu. Their beef meals were always tender . They tend to use olive oil etc more and their food is healthier and light as a result..

The lower price is why I say it is the best kept secret in town - Celebrity at a bargain price! Enjoy it now as people are starting to catch on !!😀

My late husband and I sailed on MSC when their smaller ships were around - three cruises on Melody, two on Rhapsody and one on Monterey). We then did a cruise on Poesia. All of these cruises were most enjoyable and we could not fault the entertainment staff who worked tirelessly to ensure everyone had a good time and the shows were excellent. No complaints either about the food, facilities on board and the cleanliness.

My husband and I took 14 cruises together during our married life - Princess, Thomson, RCI, Star Cruises and Airtours (no longer in existence) as well as MSC

After my husband died I took a cruise from Dubai on MSC Lirica around the Emirates. My son and family were posted to Dubai with his job and I had a wonderful time on Lirica. In Feb 2015 I again did the Emirates cruise on MSC Orchestra and my son and family joined me on that. One of the main reasons for choosing MSC was that the twin grandsons travelled free on the cruise element and only had to pay port charges (children free up to aged 17!). Admittedly we did not have air fares to pay (I get staff travel concessions from the UK as son works for Emirates in Dubai).

The family so enjoyed their first cruise experience and we went on NCL Epic for the Christmas cruise 2015 from Barcelona. I had been on Epic in 2014 and although we all enjoyed Christmas at sea I found the standards had fallen a little - poor service and meals not as good as before. I opted for Epic as with their studio cabin concept I was not saddled with those dreaded single supplements!!

After a lot of discussions my son and his family and I have decided to go on the Emirates cruise again - still so much to see and do - and we have booked MSC Fantasia for 17th December 2016. The prices were so good for one balcony cabin to sleep four and another balcony cabin for my sole use next door. The cruise only prices for son and his wife were £525 each, the grandsons paid £205 each in port taxes and my cabin worked out at £800 with the supplement. We did get some discounts having sailed with them before but on this cruise the Drinks Package was included (this cost £380 per adult on out NCL cruise!!).

I have no worries about MSC and would say if you can get a bargain, the cabin you want go ahead. Yes, this is an Italian owned line and things will be different to what you are used to on the American ships but go with an open mind and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne (Bristol UK)

I think Divina is a lot like Celebrity as the man who built up Celebrity in North America, Rick Sasso, is now heading up MSC !!

To the lady who loves Princess, I liked the pools of Emerald Princess but the entertainment was lacking and every time we ordered beef , it was tough!! ( and it was a Christmas cruise of 10 days!) I know with staff turnover that the quality can vary. However , on all our other cruises including 4 with MSC , we never had a problem with the food. In addition, we found the other lines had that extra polish and shine above just being clean! They wash the balconies , windows , etc. Regularly!!

Having read the previous comments I'm feeling better about the booking I just made on Divina for Spring '17 . As others have said , the price is way lower then the competition . Plus booking this far out I've booked a cabin with what they say is a 121 sq foot balcony . The total price is comparable to an OV or inside on the other cruise lines . Plus I believe we can receive a 10% teachers discount . :)

Obviously price isn't the be all and end all . Frankly non-fixed dining times is something that will be missed as will no charge room service . In the end these are minor issues . The overall experience is the most important thing . If the experience is more European ,thats just fine with us . If the experience compares with Celebrity at less then 1/2 price , Woo Hoo !

In the end , DW and I make our own fun and we've never had a bad cruise . It seems almost too good a deal . :confused:

BTW - Any menus out there ?

Edited by richstowe

One mistake people make is to expect Celebrity or Princess offerings at MSC prices and then complain when it is not, you will enjoy Divina if you go with an open mind. Have you booked one of the cabins on Deck 10 Aft?

One mistake people make is to expect Celebrity or Princess offerings at MSC prices and then complain when it is not, you will enjoy Divina if you go with an open mind. Have you booked one of the cabins on Deck 10 Aft?
Very fair comment . In my CC reviews the only one which got a 5* was the cheapest. It was a great cruise and greatly exceeded my expectations . Having said that, the experience must still be good starting with the non-additional fee food followed by the cabin itself .

The cabin is 10080

Edited by richstowe