Need Camera Recommendation for Galapagos

Mylisa

I need to purchase a camera to use for our cruise to the Galápagos Islands.

I would guess I need something with a decent lens that will allow for up close shots. I use reading glasses so I need something that I can see. I also need something that is fairly easy or straight forward to use.

Any recommendations?

Interestingly, the Galapagos is one place where you get very close-up to the wild life. It's not a bit like the African plains or the Arctic where you spot a lion or a polar bear half a mile away and you need a lens as long as your arm. The iguanas, seals, penguins and so on in the Galapagos are often right under your feet.

I do have a lot of camera gear for different situations but for a trip like this I think you need a decent DSLR - that is to say, a camera which has a proper viewfinder. Those compact cameras with a LCD on the back are useless if you want a quick shot or have a lot of sunlight. My wife uses a Nikon D3300 which I actually won in a photo competition. It comes with a range of lenses but for everyday use I'd suggest the 18-105mm. It's a lovely camera, is flexible and doesn't weigh or cost a lot. You can also capture fine landscapes with it and get macro close-ups of plants etc.

Mylisa,

Be sure to also check out the Photo and Camera discussion board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=118

The folks on that board are not only very knowledgeable but also very helpful.

I would also include a price range for a camera you would be willing to spend since there are so many options and a wide range of prices.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I need a camera which has excellent anti-shake qualities as I have a familial tremor.I also want something that is close to foolproof.Sony to me is the best with anti-shake properties so I have 2 of them.

Main camera is a Sony HX400V-though I think the old 200 model was better.Yes I miss some shots though light is not a problem with tinted glasses.It also though has a viewfinder which you can switch to with the touch of a button.

Second is a Sony TX30 which I bought because you can use it underwater.As I snorkel this is important.However it doubles as a true pocket camera and most food photos are taken with it.Also used if I really don't want to be seen with a camera.