West coast to South Pacific cruising--rough seas?

GrandinVA

I have taken this type of voyage several times and based on those experiences the answer is you just never know.

The seas could be calm, moderately rough or even rough and how long they are rough can range as well.

It's a great cruise but my recommendation is to get a room that is mid deck and preferably on a lower deck and to prepare for the worst (medication, etc) and hope for the best.

History means nothing.

Keith

We always respond the same way regarding sea conditions. It is totally unpredictable! You can cross the Pacific with glassy seas most of the way (we experienced this on a 4 week cruise last year) or you could have the cruise from hell....or anything between. Perhaps folks that ruminate about potential sea conditions need to consider a different from of travel because there are never any guarantees.

Hank

Thank you all, I think you just helped us to chose between cruising to the South Pacific vs. cruise more days in the South Pacific! We are also looking at Oceania's 10-day island hopping-if you've "seen one have you seen them all" or would 10-days be the preferred way to enjoy what would probably be a once in a lifetime trip to the SP? Anyone done the 7 or 10-day sail through the SP?

We have done two cruises in French Polynesia (on the Paul Gauguin) and a 10 day sailing would be heavenly, particularly starting off with a few relaxing days pre-cruise in an overwater bungalow on Moorea or Bora Bora. ;)