Getaway versus escape

Thecat3902

Ok so we are booked on the escape for September. Our friends just cancelled on us today. When we booked I was leaning toward the getaway because of the Sunday departure and more ports. I am tired of the Bahamas too. Anyway we booked the escape because they preferred that itinerary and we were looking to spend time with them. It is only $200 more to book a mini suite guarantee on the getaway versus our family ocean view on the escape.

So for all of you been there done that which ship would you go with and why. We have 5 kids ages 17-5 so we care a lot about kids activities. My husband and I enjoy comedies so which has he better entertainment? Last does escape have an ice bar because I did really want to try that if they had one like they do on the getaway. Any insight would be great since I need to decide asap.

First, let me say, I haven't been on either ship yet. We're on the Escape next month and the Getaway next year. I have, however, read extensively about both ships.

Itinerary-wise, there is no comparison. The Getaway wins. Just be aware that if the ship was scheduled to stop at the private island in Belize that will not be happening. It was recently announced that it will not be ready until November. That port has been replaced by Belize City.

There is no Ice Bar on the Escape, but there is one on the Getaway.

For the kids, I think the ships will have more similarities than differences. The ropes course on the Escape is larger and the water slides are a bit more elaborate as well.

Both ships have Howl at the Moon and comedians. Their production shows differ quite a bit. The Getaway has Legally Blonde and the Burn the Floor dancers. The upcharge show is the Illusionarium (magic). On the Escape, the upcharge show is Dear John Hughes. The regular shows are Million Dollar Quartet and After Midnight (which has been getting very mixed reviews).

There are a few more a la carte restaurants on the Escape as well.

I think a family would be happy with either ship. Even though I'm sailing on the Escape in a couple of weeks, I'm really looking forward to the Getaway next year. The ports (and times in port) are better. I think I'll enjoy the shows more as well.

Good luck making your decision!

If the Getaway has the trip you prefer, go for that. It is an awesome ship and my family loved it so much they kept pestering me to book another trip.

I just booked the Escape, but we don't sail until late August. Based on what I learned last summer the Escape will be a slightly larger and hopefully even better version of the Getaway so I'm excited for the experience.

Our itinerary will be Honduras, Belize and Cozumel from Miami. All new ports for me, though I visited Cozumel 19 years ago.

The Getaway stopped in Nassau, but Tortola and St. Thomas are great ports. Our time in Nassau wasn't a bother. We did a little shopping and went back onboard for lunch and fun.

I've been on both ships and my husband and I both prefer the Getaway. The Escape crams more people onto a ship that has basically the same things as the getaway so everything is just more crowded.

The ice bar is on Getaway (but not Escape). Both ships have waterparks (the Escape does have 1 extra waterslide that Getaway doesn't, but its still fun). Both ships have good shows, comedy club, restaurants, waterfront, and ropes course.

The Escape was a larger, more crowded, more wavy (you feel the motion more) version of the Getaway that was frustrating at times. Bigger was not better in the case of the Escape. (my two cents, others may disagree)

We were on the Getaway @ New Years. For what is is worth, a few of the staff we spoke to mentioned that they did not want to go to the Escape, as there were more passengers, but not more staff and they would have to work much harder. We thought it an interesting observation - we loved the Getaway, and found the service to be very good. If the more passengers/not incrementally more staff is true, we'd stick with Getaway.

We came off the Escape in Dec. Absolutely gorgeous ship and loved our time and didn't want to get off. Food was awesome, shows were spectacular and staff was incredible. But man, does that ship ever feel crowded!!!! They said there were 700 children on our cruise(we own two of those kids!) but I swear every single child was at the aquapark/buffet all day long(we tried to steer clear as often as we could). I've never felt like that before on a ship - everyone seemed to be in the same place all day long. I'm hesitant to give Getaway a shot but something is pulling me in. We had an amazing time on the Escape but you really feel those crowds....